Author Topic: AC Adapter To USB Charge Mod  (Read 15842 times)

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
AC Adapter To USB Charge Mod
« on: January 04, 2008, 12:31:42 PM »
created by: jrfhoutx
written by: jrfhoutx

This is the companion mod to the USB Charge mod, and is one of the easier mods we have here. Many people had a problem with how slowly the PSP would charge using only USB, and many were concerned about installing a Dual Nub mod and losing their normal charging port and it's fast charging capabilities. Well, worry no more. This mod gives you the best of both worlds, as now you can lose that pesky stock charging port in favor of a Dual Nub mod, and still keep the fast charging abilities associated with the stock AC Adapter! First lets get together some supplies...

What you will need:

PSP AC Adapter (obviously)
USB to MiniUSB cable
Wire Cutters
X-Acto? Knife
Heat Shrink Tubing (two 1/8" pieces and one 1/4" piece)
Lighter (I use a cigarette lighter to heat the shrink tubing, ideally you should use a heat gun)
Rosin Soldering Flux
Rosin Core Solder (I use .02" diameter)
Soldering Iron

Now that we have everything together let's get started!

First, this is the part of the AC Adapter we will be using...

Now, take your wire cutters and clip off the end of the AC adapter, this part...

Now, take your wire cutters and cut off the MiniUSB end of your USB Cable (leave yourself a good 6 inches or so of cable length so that you have something to work with), this part...

Now, once you have done this, take your X-Acto? knife and cut back some of the cable's sheath (on both the USB and AC Adapter cables), like this...

Of the wires that are in the USB cable, only two of these wires will be used, they are the Blue (negative) and White (positive) wires (as you can see I used a twist-tie to hold back the wires in the USB cable that will not be used), and of the two wires in the AC Adapter cable the one wrapped inside the white sheathing is the positive wire. The one on the outside, wrapped around the positive wire, is the negative wire. Take the negative wire and twist it up like seen, and then bend it backwards along the adapter cable, and slide a 1/8" piece of Heat Shrink tubing onto the cable so that it covers the negative wire, and slide the 1/4" piece of Heat Shrink tubing onto the AC adapter cable as well (we'll use that one later). Now, twist the two positive wires together, like this...

Solder those two wires together, and then slide the Heat Shrink tubing up and over this new solder connection, and heat the shrink tubing so that it shrinks up and seals that connection.

Next, twist the negative wires together, and solder them together as well. Now you should have something that looks like this...

Next, take the two unused wires in the USB cable and take the second piece of 1/8" Heat Shrink tubing and cover these two unused wires. The wires may not have any wire protruding from the cut ends, but we want to be sure they are isolated from the positive and negative cables (you can never be too safe). Here's what you should have so far...

Now, place the unused wires together with the positive and negative wires, like this...

Slide the 1/4" piece of Shrink Wrap tubing over this section of the cable, and heat it up and seal off this section of the cable, like this...

It may not look pretty, but if it works, who cares? Right?

You don't have to do this, but to make sure that I had done this right, I plugged in my AC Adapter, and broke out my DMM, and checked the voltage at the MiniUSB plug...

Now, plug it in and test it out! You should now have the perfect companion to your USB Charge Mod.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:57:58 PM by laxboy »

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal