Author Topic: led dust cover  (Read 13012 times)

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
led dust cover
« on: November 27, 2007, 07:35:56 PM »
just need some clearance on something, i plan on doing a dust cover mod with the ram expansion pak using 2 green 3mm leds, if i have them on the same + pin2 but different grounds would it be the same brightness or would it be duller?
It's been a long time

Offline coulonkid2012

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Dun Dun Dun Duh
    • myspace
Re: led dust cover
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:18:42 PM »
im pretty sure lt be the samejust test it out

Current Projects:360 controller in a ps2 controller shell, 360 controller in a n64 controller shell, custom painted 360 faceplate and controller shell,

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 12:13:54 PM »
im gonna test it i just wanted to check here see if anyones done it before
It's been a long time

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 07:00:55 PM »
well if you use the same power source and different grounds it will be the same as using one ground but if you use 2 different power sources it will depend on how much power is going into the leds.  So if you connect them up to the same positive the second one will dim it a little but not very much to make much of a difference

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 07:12:02 PM »
so it would be like running them in paralel?
It's been a long time

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 09:10:14 PM »
so it would be like running them in paralel?

Yeah exactly

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 03:36:58 AM »
ok thanks just wanted to make sure before doing it.
It's been a long time

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 03:51:54 AM »
from which pins would you put these? I was planning on seeing what I can do with the RAM expansion, or at least a GBA game I don't use, and I can't find out the pins I need to wire the LEDS up to
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 07:43:12 AM »
+=2
-=3,im pretty sure its 29 [3 to the left]
those would be the pins. i mostly use 2,3 and have a 5mm going straight up and filing a hole for it to poke out through in old gba games. more so a lit dust cover for my brothers phatty. im going to do a good one for him with the saphire case since his phat is blue. what i want to do is green glowing dust cover since my ds is black it would look so kool, then possibly do a trigger mod with green leds in the future. can i use 3mms for the triggers or do i need to use smd
It's been a long time

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 04:00:19 AM »
+=2
-=3,im pretty sure its 29 [3 to the left]
those would be the pins. i mostly use 2,3 and have a 5mm going straight up and filing a hole for it to poke out through in old gba games. more so a lit dust cover for my brothers phatty. im going to do a good one for him with the saphire case since his phat is blue. what i want to do is green glowing dust cover since my ds is black it would look so kool, then possibly do a trigger mod with green leds in the future. can i use 3mms for the triggers or do i need to use smd

Wow, using a sapphire case? That would look pretty hot BD. So pins 2 and 3 (opposite directions to each other) right? Just need to be sure, I messed up a ps1 memory card, by confusing the pins >.<.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 08:08:23 PM »
pin 2 going to the left -> and pin 3

(_)
   | |
   | |
   | |
[][][]
1 2 3
It's been a long time

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 08:18:19 AM »
Ahh, perfect! I'm going to try it out later today :D, btw, how do you end up figuring out which pins to use? :dntknw:

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 09:28:12 AM »
i did it on accident really. i was trying to stretch the led all the way over to 29 [didnt feel like making a splice] and i really wanted to play beyblades, the game i was using, si i just stuck em in pins 2,3 and played and i was like wow kool this works so i filed a hole at the top of the game cart and played like that.
It's been a long time

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 09:40:38 AM »
Very nice XD :hifive:, hmm, I'm gonna have to ask someone if they can show me how to figure out the right pins though, heh.

Off-topic= I wonder what happened to that show....

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 10:32:19 AM »
Here are the pins I used

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 12:27:17 PM »
sucks the bored in the dust cover doesnt have any lil holes like the web browser and gba game carts do. did you just solder them on to the points or use the conductive pen you talked about in the tut.?
It's been a long time

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 04:12:17 PM »
well I just cut away the green coding up on to and put conductive pen down.  but the best way to do it is use copper conductive tape with conductive pen

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 11:01:51 PM »
Weird, I placed my LED (UV 3mm btw) in slots 2 and 3 as you mentioned, my ds would turn on, the light would turn on, but then it would turn off, like it shorted out. I did it like 4 times before it didn't do anything. So now I'm wondering if I need to use a new LED or is it just that I needed to put a resistor in there? Oh and how would I do it so that I can connect 2 LEDs to different sides of my GBA cart? (which is an actual game that I don't play anymore)

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 09:46:41 AM »
i think you burnt out the led. id say throw a resistor in there. theres another ground on pin 29 so your can make a wire splice  and stretch it over there or run them in series.

edit: one more thing, is hot glue conductive? i see it used alot to hold stuff in place and was wondering if it is conductive
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 12:00:48 PM by kammokaze »
It's been a long time

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 03:03:29 PM »
Hot glue isn't really condutive. In fact, it should be a good insulator, since it is close to rubber.

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 03:12:33 PM »
k just making sure so i dont short out the ram board lol. thanks guys for all the help.
It's been a long time

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 06:19:57 PM »
Yeah, I was afraid of that, so I tried to do this on my Dust cover, and I used the SMD red LEDS, but they are so  :censored: annoying, I can't figure out how to solder those since they are so small. The size of the dust cover only makes it harder, so now I went and ignored that. I used my RAM expansion, used 1 UV 3mm LED and a 100ohm resistor, it works perfectly, except the light is pretty dim, and I don't know whether to use a lower resistor, or if the LED just blows and doesn't go too bright. Anyway I have 3 pics of it, and for some odd reason, I had to do this mod twice, since it worked but after turning it on like 3 times, it stopped working, so I switced the LED, and I tried using 2 LEDs, but I didn't get it right. Anyway, enough of me  :laughing: (<- thats meant to be talking btw), here are the pics:

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 12:32:21 PM »
Yeah, I was afraid of that, so I tried to do this on my Dust cover, and I used the SMD red LEDS, but they are so  :censored: annoying, I can't figure out how to solder those since they are so small. The size of the dust cover only makes it harder, so now I went and ignored that. I used my RAM expansion, used 1 UV 3mm LED and a 100ohm resistor, it works perfectly, except the light is pretty dim, and I don't know whether to use a lower resistor, or if the LED just blows and doesn't go too bright. Anyway I have 3 pics of it, and for some odd reason, I had to do this mod twice, since it worked but after turning it on like 3 times, it stopped working, so I switced the LED, and I tried using 2 LEDs, but I didn't get it right. Anyway, enough of me  :laughing: (<- thats meant to be talking btw), here are the pics:

nice its kinda hard to see them though. i noticed them on the right side of the dust cover. which would be better to use smd or 3mm?
It's been a long time

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 12:35:30 PM »
I'd say SMD all the way if I knew how to solder them, it's smaller, brigther, and in this case, works better then the 3mm, which I used btw. I also need help figuring out how to solder 2 LEDs in series.

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 06:37:37 AM »
ok thanks. and to solder in series you take the + from one and splice/solder it with the - of the other, attach the unspliced + to the + source and the unslpiced - to the ground
leds v
(-) (-)
| \/  |
|+,- |   
|     |
|     |
-     +
It's been a long time

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 08:22:18 PM »
Wooters! It worked, I've got like 10 pictures of BOTH, my RAM expansion dust cover, and my regular (black) dust cover, both with an SMD LED, which btw, is very annoying to solder with the wires if it's your first time or if you don't have the right steady hand or equipment:

These 3 top pictures are the with Ram slot, lights on

These 3 with the same ram slot, lighs off, and it's way cooler this way as it gets a smooth cool red glow

Those last 2 were with the black dust cover, lights off, since they are too hard too see in plain light.

Basically Kammo, you were wrong with the signs, it's 2=- , 3=+, I was wondering why my LEDs did not want to work after setting it up right w/o false contact.  :sadno:

But in any case, if I was you, for the DS, stick with SMD LEDs, much brighter and small so it cuts off any other work like making space inside.

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 06:54:10 AM »
sorry about that. i get confused sometimes. lol. that looks really nice though, did you drill a hole in the black though? im liking the way the ram one looks i can just picture that with green. which leads me to this question, where can i find a good place that sells smd green leds in usa?
It's been a long time

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 06:01:49 PM »
TBH, nowhere. You're gonna have to goto eBay and bid on some, they aren't too pricey compared to like LEDs in Radio Shack. Oh yah, I didn't drill the hole... I melted it, lol. I was hoping I didn't  :censored: the screw hole part, but it came out perfect, since the LED fits right between the hole and the space inside the case, and the ram to me was so nice, so of course I'm hoping to turn my DS into something like that, or else keep going with my other goal, the whole black/white thing. Thanks for the comments, btw.

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 06:37:39 PM »
my goal right now is to do a mirrored battery/charge led on the left side of the hing, green trigger, and green dust cover
It's been a long time

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 07:27:03 PM »
I wanna do the battery one too but I have no Blue LED to switch with, so I might just switch the green and red ones, hoping I don't burn something out.

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 10:13:31 AM »
right now im sticking with green and black, mostly because those are my two favorite colors, and if i could find a way to get a lit jewel of the toxic/hazardous symbol then im definately going for it!. blue leds are used too much in my opinion lol. but post pics when you get it all done
It's been a long time

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 08:10:11 PM »
Heh, that would look kick ass! I'm gonna try to make a kind of Green light/Red light theme on my DS since my friend decided not to sell me his white ds ( that I was going to use to just invert the colors on my ds, that cheap bastard >.>). Anyway, it will have to do with the DS logo on top, my dust cover which I wish I never melted that hole since I thought of a new hole I wanted to make, and the buttons.

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2007, 03:47:25 AM »
you could always just buy a new dust cover online if you really needed to. i mostly used gba game carts when working with the leds, mostly because they're cheap and easy to find, but im going to do a mod for my lil brothers phatty, he has a blue one and he wants a lit blue dust cover. so im getting pokemon saphire, and using some super broght blue/white leds.
It's been a long time

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal