Author Topic: Extra Internal Battery Mod v2!!! [Update: Fixed!]  (Read 5561 times)

Offline General Vergel

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Myspace
Extra Internal Battery Mod v2!!! [Update: Fixed!]
« on: December 13, 2007, 09:57:04 PM »
Okay so some of you have seen my first PsP mod where I put in a small lithium cell battery to power 0603 Leds in a Ring of Light and the shoulder buttons, as seen in this link --> [link omg click me].

Well after reading what other people suggested and cooking my own ideas, I decided to put a door in the back so I can have easier access to change the battery when needed. Taking off one panel with a couple screws > completely dismantling your PsP. Well here are some construction pics!  :tup:

Here I cut a rectangle above the switch I installed earlier.

I had alot of leftover acrylic from the Ring of Light (I love you DoubleDutch! >>) I made before, so I cut an odd shaped piece to mount one of the battery clips I ordered from mouser. There is a notch to have full access to the memory stick slot, a corner cut so I don't stab myself when gaming, and several holes to screw the acrylic to the PsP and one to allow access to the hole that attaches the backplate to the faceplate. The protective covering is still on the acrylic at this point. I usually leave it on till completely ready to start reassembly. (That little golden piece is the negative clip, which I will get to later)

This is the backside showing the battery clip and a few more holes.

Here is one of the battery clips I used. While kinda big (large enough to hold 20mm lithium cell batteries, or CR2016 equivalents) I choose to use this style because I can surface mount it and CR2016 is my battery of choice because they are one of the flattest lithium cell batteries you can get.

Here is a test fit of the acrylic battery door.

The easiest way to attach the negative is slide a small contact underneath the battery. I tried to find 30gauge circle contacts but Radio Shack only carries down to 22 ><. So I bought a single C size battery holder and cut out one of the contacts for my own use. In this pic I hotglued the contact a little to high and had to move it later, resulting in a tiny smudge  :cry2:

Here is how I wired the beast. The positive connection you can directly solder to the top of the clip, although I tend to scratch a bit of the clip so I can attach solder easier.

Fully connected and reassembled shot. Close up of the acrylic battery door. The two top left screw holes I messed up on. The far top left I drilled the hole in the PsP backplate just a tad to big, but the screw kinda rests in there for now. I originally planned on using the middle hole, but I used way too big of a drillbit  :angry:  :censored:

When I put it back together, the Leds kept coming on when the switch was off, so I just propped up the left side a bit. Something keeps completing the connection... need to fix that...  :censored:

Here is the whole backplate fully assembled. Looks pretty nice if I say so myself  :w00t:

And finally... Duh nuh nuh na! Here are the money shots!

However, shortly after I finished taking the money shots, (remember the Leds coming on without the switch?) well... the Leds stopped coming on altogether.  :censored: :cry2: I will need to find out whats going on. Prolly the metal parts are touching the memory/wifi board, even though I put a layer of electrical tape on it when I reassambled the  :censored: I also need to make the wires for the right trigger longer, as you can see its not lighting up alot now lol. Either way, I had fun doing this v2 Mod, but Ill prolly wait a few days and play more Legend of Dragoon on my PsP before I fix the problems.  :tup:

Update #1: Well I took my PsP apart again, and low and behold the solder points on the switch punched a hole through the electrical tape (prolly because they were being squeezed too much with all the other components) and made contact with the memory/wifi board. No damage was done. I did have to replace the battery though; being in contact with the wifi/memory board ate most of the new battery's power and didn't light up the Leds up that much. But it's all good now! I didn't reassemble it back together since I plan on working later on it, as far as trying to get the battery panel to be more flush with the backplate.  :tup:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 04:51:10 PM by General Vergel »

Offline ProperBritish

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Raining Blood! From A Lacerated Sky!
Re: Extra Internal Battery Mod v2!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 11:40:54 PM »
Thats pretty sweet. Hope you fix it.

Quote from: ≤Ʀαωгу≥
you know who i would bone? daffy duck

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 11:55:44 PM »
Looking good.

The more you make it fit flushly, the better it will look!
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline hamchapman

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 01:01:18 AM »
Great job! Seriously, it looks awesome!

Offline Slimby

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 01:53:32 AM »
Mount it flush, and stick some LEDs into it!

Slimby

Slimby for prez.

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 02:07:46 AM »
i second the kiwi man

TDX

Offline IndyChav

• Original.
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 09:40:50 AM »
and i third him =]

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 10:10:20 AM »
ide almost want to get a heat gun out and see how well i could shape it

Offline Slimby

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 10:25:42 AM »
I actually want to do something similar to this now...

Slimby

Slimby for prez.

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 10:31:16 AM »
i love you to :P

that looks pretty good ;)

but one thing, make it more one with the backplate

u could use a piece from another backplate so it has thesame shape ;)

To all of you crying about lag and kicks, remember… when Jesus died, took him 3 days to respawn. Now THAT is lag.

Offline General Vergel

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 11:50:55 AM »
My original plan was to use the same rectangle I cut out from the back of the PsP, but I couldn't get a fine enough cut with the dremel. The thinnest cutting disk I had, I used on it, but it still left a pretty noticible gap. I then opted to use leftover acrylic. Warping it would not be that hard. I actually just thought I could bend it, since you can bend it somewhat in sheet form. I did mess up the initial drilling with a couple holes, so my plan of just screwing it into shape fell in the hole, or so to say lol. Warping with a heat gun, or even trying it with a clean soldering iron might work too.

Leds would make it pretty, I might try that later. Just stick a green led on the top of the battery clip.

I'm thinking to make it more flush, I'm going to have a do a complete rewiring job. I used the same wires for the Ring of Light as I did the first time, so those are kinda bundled up next to/on the battery clip. This will give me more room to squeeze it all together. Plus adding more electrical tape to protect the memory/wifi board from making contact could help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal