Author Topic: How to solder/de-solder LEDs  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Joboman

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
How to solder/de-solder LEDs
« on: December 19, 2007, 06:42:38 PM »
help! i ended up busting all 3 LEDs on my ds by trying to desolder them.  it seemed like they were glued to the mobo because the entire LED was stuck, not just the connectors. in case i ever want to do this again, any tips on how to solder/desolder LEDs? they're too damn small!

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: How to solder/de-solder LEDs
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 10:58:02 PM »
Yeah, a few. Use a magnifying glass, no matter how well you think you can see em!. My dad showed me a trick (even though I still haven't got it to work) by tying a copper 18 wire to your soldering gun. IF done correctly, the heat will transfur to the soldering gun's tip, and will make it a bit easier for you since you'll have a smaller point to be able to de solder with. I think desoldering braid might help, even though it's very little solder and it can end up de soldering everything else if you don't set it up right. In any case, you've given me a bit of precaution, knowing that I can also  :censored: up my LED's, since I'm going to re-wire my LEDs to another spot.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline Joboman

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 06:25:47 PM »
haha i dont really have to worry about desoldering anymore since i got no LEDs atm  :cry2: right now, im waiting for my LEDs to arrive, it'll probably be easier to solder onto wires than to desolder from mobo right?

Offline TheMagnolia

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Sleepywood.net
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 12:10:24 AM »
Please look at the "how to solder" guide in the Beginner's section, there's a part there especially for 0603 LED soldering

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal