Author Topic: Upgrading the upgrades *work log*  (Read 16700 times)

Offline Neubit

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • [ nyōō'- bit ]
Upgrading the upgrades *work log*
« on: December 28, 2007, 06:50:29 AM »
As the new year begins, i would like to make some changes/improvements to my already modded box.
You guys probably seen what i have done so far, and i mentioned the changes i planned to do in the future, i finally got around to doing this after dropping all the work i was doing for the psp.

My system so far:

i know you have seen it b4 in low res pics, but look again! its my precious!

here are some stuff that im going to work with on this project:
(roll over image to see what is what, HAX!)

The master plan overview:
- Rewire all leds using the led strips
- Wire up the Fader Chip (Big thanks to TimmyDX for the chip! rock on pro)
- Replace Flow meter inner leds (i blew up the stock ones  :tup:)
- Add a master switch (key switch)
- Cut the DVD drive window
- Install Exos controls into the xbox
--- Cooling sytem powered from the console
--- Auto shutdown wired to xbox power btn
--- temp sensors rewired
-whatever else i think of along the way

phenomenal

Re: Upgrading the upgrades *work log*
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 06:56:05 AM »
Nice, although one question, is there any possible way to get the pump and radiator for the watercooling inside the 360?

Offline Neubit

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • [ nyōō'- bit ]
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 07:06:25 AM »
Nice, although one question, is there any possible way to get the pump and radiator for the water cooling inside the 360?
Yes it is possible and has been done by numerous modders, i was going to do it at first but, correct parts were hard to find and i didn't have the option to buy from different stores. External cooling stations get better performance since you cannot fit the same size rad and fans into the box without having it look clean, i like clean. Also i like the window and how you can see the guts. Since my console is 100% stationary there is no problem with the large size and console immobility. If you go for the looks and performance external is the way to go, but for better mobility internal is definitely number 1 choice

Offline Neubit

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • [ nyōō'- bit ]
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 07:27:51 AM »
i think a pulsevu2 would look better :) i have one i would give to you for free as your so awesome
Oh, pure sweetness, i will stick both in :D

Edit/Update: soldered up some of those 3mms to the strip, it uses 12 volts and splits it every 3 leds with a 10ohm resistor between each group, 3.3volts to each led, they really bright for UV's was surprised

9th led seems burnt out :(
note to self: Change the bugger
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 08:25:07 AM by Neubit »

phenomenal

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 08:41:30 AM »
Yes it is possible and has been done by numerous modders, i was going to do it at first but, correct parts were hard to find and i didn't have the option to buy from different stores. External cooling stations get better performance since you cannot fit the same size rad and fans into the box without having it look clean, i like clean. Also i like the window and how you can see the guts. Since my console is 100% stationary there is no problem with the large size and console immobility. If you go for the looks and performance external is the way to go, but for better mobility internal is definitely number 1 choice
Ahh i see, nice one

Also, one other thing, in the tubes, is the coolant actually blue or is it a light, if its actually blue, id say swap it with clear and put leds on the tube with a pulse vu2, it will look pwnsome

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:03:56 AM »
The Tubes are blue, the pipes out the back are clear, and the water is coloured green.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

TheG4mer

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 09:36:57 AM »
Will this be like a blog?

Offline Azie139

• Bomb Maker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Myspace.com/Azie139
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 11:07:05 PM »
nice loved the led strip

Offline Neubit

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • [ nyōō'- bit ]
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 11:15:51 PM »
nice loved the led strip
10x, im going to see how it fits in the case when i get home from work, i know i will have to cut it shorter, from just placing outside the case for a rough measurment its a little to long... but the pros of those strips is that u can cut it every three leds and it will still work the same from a 12v power supply.

Offline Neubit

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • [ nyōō'- bit ]
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 07:03:11 AM »
Cant help double posting, its addictive, i might need counseling on this issue...

I never posted pics of the box guts, i promised to thou, and here it is:

This is what my illuminating system looked like before, cmon admit it, we all have skeletons in our consoles!

The new system is way better, actually its as good as it can get, i cut off the led legs and filed down whatever bumps were left on the pcb, now it's perfectly flat and can be attached to any flat surface (of course i insulated the bottom)

Im placing UV leds that will turn on together with the console on the bottom and left, on the right the strip is place towards the top on 45 degree angle so it shines directly on to the tubing. FYI below pic is upside down.

Here im testing with a atx power supply, the result is superb! just how i wanted it in the beggining, plus there are more then double the amount of leds then i had before.

I also figured out what im doing with the fader. Flow meter has 2 built it leds, they are blue, but im going to open that sucker up and stick replace them with UV's hook it up to the fader and set it to "Breathe" when the console is off. Its going to look sick!

As for the DVD drive, i marked the rough outlines of how im going to cut it. I already know this isnt going to be a easy task. Im still deciding wether i should paint the cover black or chrome it, hand chroming will be so much effort, but it might pay off... what do u think?

in case you are wondering why i got numbers written in blue marker on some parts, its because those parts belong to my broken xbox, back then i took for repairs and they never fixed it but i got my box back with serial number written on every part, i wonder...

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 07:25:04 AM »
I'd Shiny black the DVD Drive, and have an etched window.

LED's look great, but there's a dark spot top right, which i would LED too.

Offline Neubit

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • [ nyōō'- bit ]
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 07:33:04 AM »
I'd Shiny black the DVD Drive, and have an etched window.

LED's look great, but there's a dark spot top right, which i would LED too.
Yeah you are right, im going to see how it looks with the dvd drive in place, i will either extend the right side led strip or add another strip to the top which can shine over the top of the dvd drive

I definitely want the drive to be shiny, it will reflect some of the light around the box and hopefully fill in some of the darker spots, i might try chrome it first just to see what it looks like, its easier to paint on chrome then to chrome on paint.

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 08:15:54 AM »
Chrome Black? Its a lot of work, but looks cool.

Offline Skullmaster

• God Of Cars
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Admin Force, Co-Owner Wanna-be
    • Acidmods
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 10:17:04 PM »
1 question, where can I get me some of them led strips.... I want to put some in my 360 to light up the vents

Offline Neubit

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • [ nyōō'- bit ]
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 10:46:10 PM »
1 question, where can I get me some of them led strips.... I want to put some in my 360 to light up the vents
Of the top of my head... here: http://shop.sickmods.net/product/LED_Board_PCB/
I got mine from a local DIY electronics store, the sickmods boards have the leds much closer together  so you can fit in way more :angry:

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 11:06:45 PM »
as ill probably tell you later that is some serious hax

shredding the bitz is noob-it

cant wait to see the fader dx in there pro ;)

Offline Neubit

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • [ nyōō'- bit ]
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 09:00:24 AM »
Well today after work i managed to successfully cut out the DVD drive window using a coping saw, 30 min and many broken saw blades later i got something i can live with

Also i found out that a psp jewel fits perfectly on top of the disc holder, im going to need a special jewel for this one  :tup:

When i got home i took the xbox apart, got the motherboard out and separated the water blocks from the gpu/cpu. Its all in pieces again! I had to do this to replace the leds in the flow meter, took it apart with a minor leak and got the pcb out.

I "frosted" the new UV leds to get a better diffusion on the light, otherwise it would shine the light right through the flow meter and not spread out.

Some small rewiring had to be done as well, since im connecting it to the fader i need both 3.3v leds to run from a 5v power supply, the leds that were in it before were 2.5 each and wired in series, simple tweak and we have a new parallel circuit

Everything back together, kind of disappointing on the pic, it does look better in real life, i swear!  :rofl: Maybe when the fan spins it will stir the light around! :drunk:

Im only going to test out the fader at the end, lets hope it works because its all wired up and ready to go

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 10:15:50 AM »
That's awesome man keep it up! And that pic looks fine to me but even better if it looks better in real life XD

Offline FreeK

• a-LeeK
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Team CYBER for life
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 12:20:30 PM »
Well today after work i managed to successfully cut out the DVD drive window using a coping saw, 30 min and many broken saw blades later i got something i can live with

Also i found out that a psp jewel fits perfectly on top of the disc holder, im going to need a special jewel for this one  :tup:

that is going to look awzomme
a jewel in a 360, havent seen that before except for the etched windows

*loudspeaker comes on*
*attention all Xbox 360's, theres has been reports of a awesome modder named Neubit, avoid him at all costs, unless you want some nice stuff done to you*
*that is all*
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 12:22:48 PM by 1Sniper »

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 04:37:04 AM »
Nice Playstation Disc...

Keep up the good work Neubit!

Offline Neubit

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • [ nyōō'- bit ]
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 08:30:21 AM »
Well, i haven't done much today, still hung over from new years eve, i did however wire up some stuff for testing, the Fader chip and the Exos-LT water cooler. Now the Exos feeds from the xbox's 12v power supply so i don't have to manually turn it on every time or worry that someone will turn on the console without the cooler. I used the hot spots for it right at the power plug on the motherboard. Also connected the UV leds to same source, 2 birds with one stone.

The most important achievement thou was the auto shutdown function wired from the Exos-LT to the xbox. Its very easy indeed, when preset critical temperature is reached the water cooler will close a relay until the normal operating temperature is restored, while temperature rises it increases the fan speed and beeps on your nerves when its HOT!

This is waht connects all the Exos-LT and Xbox together:

Roll over image to see whats what

Just a small demonstration, don't play with fire kids!

Notice how the Fans get stronger, even blew the fire out lol, then BEEP, power off

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 08:48:10 AM »
Pretty damn sweet Neubit, I really like the whole temperature thing and that it turns on/off itself. Srsly thats awesome, and I see that your uhm..thing fades now, I like it.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 04:51:28 PM »
very nice neubit its comeing allong very well top notch upgrades

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline Skullmaster

• God Of Cars
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • Acidmods
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 01:24:14 AM »
Very Nice, you make me want to mod my 360 again.... guess I'm gonna have to crack open my piggy bank once again... look for a mod from me coming soon....

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 03:05:10 AM »
The Fading is so cool, and so is the temp sensor, but auto shut off? Could really ruin a game, corrupt data etc. i'd want it to just beep lots.

Offline Skullmaster

• God Of Cars
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • Acidmods
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »
I dont think he'll have to worry about it shutting off, that thing runs so cold its not even funny, he just put it in there more than likely for a safety feature....

Offline Neubit

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • [ nyōō'- bit ]
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 08:47:25 PM »
I dont think he'll have to worry about it shutting off, that thing runs so cold its not even funny, he just put it in there more than likely for a safety feature....
Yeah, most of the time i can see the temperature display and in case the cooling system fails i can manually prevent the xbox from overheating. The feature comes standard when installed on a PC. The auto shutdown plugs into the power switch pins on a motherboard. Since its possible to wire it to the xbox, i thought why not, and if it come to me choosing between the fate of the console over a saved game, i would save the 360.

Its kind of like an airbag in car, you know its there, you don't think about it on a daily basis, surely you would want to avoid the situation where it might go off, but it can save your live when it does :)

Offline Skullmaster

• God Of Cars
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • Acidmods
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 10:12:29 PM »
Nicely put Neubit!  :clap:

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 05:31:11 AM »
that is a SERIOUS h4xb0x you've got there neubit

keep it up, did you sort out the chroming issues?

glad your enjoying the fader too : D

Offline redryno1221

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Redrynotuts
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Damn, that is a nice xbox I wish I could do that....that is freakin sweeet...one of a kind... Keep it up

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal