Author Topic: Top screen flashes T_T  (Read 3644 times)

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Top screen flashes T_T
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:35:06 AM »
Ok I got my 2nd broken DS but I'm confused as hell. Although I will post the Diagnostics and stuff later, I just need some current help. I take it apart (btw it's the old brick DS) I see that it looks like it's the top screen, I check the ribbons, and everything looks ok. Theres no rips or anything on it. So I decide to remove the ribbons and replace them in the holders. I turn it back on and still same problem. I even turn it on while I had the DS apart to be sure. Any suggestions or any other parts of the DS that can be the issue?
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Top screen flashes T_T
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 11:40:28 AM »
The only time ive had that problem was when the screen ribbon cables werent in so i dont know what it could be, unless its a fuse but i think it doent turn on at all when thats the problem, what happens when you put in the charger?

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »
Unfortunetly it's the old DS and the seller didn't have a charger *cough* what an a-hole '

Edit- I just found out about the ban that AM is issuing for small font, and trust me what I said in smaller font doesn't matter, it's more or less what I thought of the seller

Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
Unfortunetly it's the old DS and the seller didn't have a charger *cough* what an :censored:

Maybe its out of battery then lol, does the LED go red or green (stupid question i know but just covering all bases)

Could it also be the actual plug that the ribbon goes into? maybe part of it has come loose or damaged?

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »
Nah it's green, thx god it still has juice, and none of the holders looked damaged, I infact pulled them numerous times to be sure since this just has to have some sort of problem if the ribbon doesn't look damaged/deattached.

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 12:11:30 PM »
Nah it's green, thx god it still has juice, and none of the holders looked damaged, I infact pulled them numerous times to be sure since this just has to have some sort of problem if the ribbon doesn't look damaged/deattached.

Im as lost as you are then lol, im not really experienced in the DS phat anyways hehe ive only every fixed one of those that had a broken fuse

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 09:53:46 AM »
and how did you fix those? Did you just remove the fuse and use a wire instead?

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 09:31:48 AM »
and how did you fix those? Did you just remove the fuse and use a wire instead?

Yea just fill the space where the fuse was with solder or connect a small wire accross the two points (the fuses should be labeled F1 F2 etc)

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 09:48:37 AM »
Hmmm.. and do you think that should work with my screen problem? The ribbons are in place and snug, and that's usually the only answer that comes when the bottom screen flashes, knowing that both screens make a DS funtion. If it comes down to it, I'll just buy the fuses somewhere and solder them, or else just use that wire method you told me.

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 10:37:33 AM »
Hmmm.. and do you think that should work with my screen problem? The ribbons are in place and snug, and that's usually the only answer that comes when the bottom screen flashes, knowing that both screens make a DS funtion. If it comes down to it, I'll just buy the fuses somewhere and solder them, or else just use that wire method you told me.

Yea but with me the DS wouldnt even flash when the fuses had blown so i dont know if that would be your problem, the ds fuctions perfectly fine without fuses so i dont think youd need to replace them if taking them out didnt solve your problems

Offline TheMagnolia

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Sleepywood.net
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 08:55:54 PM »
Ah!

I just fixed this problem in my other DS.  The top screen flashed but everything else was still intact.  This was because the wire had a break somewhere in it (it may not be visible but you gotta remember it's a copper wire, the break can be microns thick but it'll be enough to stop the electron flow).

What I did to fix that problem was I just replaced the cable and it worked fine.

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »
Blegh, well can a multimeter do any help in this? If theres a break in the ribbon cabble, anywhere on it, I'm  :censored:.

Offline TheMagnolia

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Sleepywood.net
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 12:01:27 AM »
Yes it will help when I did mine I didn't have a multimeter at the time but a simple connectivity test should work. 

That and remember any bends in the cable can also result in a break in the circuit.  (Meaning hypothetically if the cable has a small break, like in a cord with any sort of bend or kink in it just stretching it out may fix it temporarily but if you rekink/coil it the break will reappear.)  So try using both methods.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal