Author Topic: COMPLETE NOOB, HELP NEEDED  (Read 4841 times)

Offline ndru98

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
COMPLETE NOOB, HELP NEEDED
« on: February 23, 2008, 10:32:36 AM »
Ok... now that I got your attention, like I said in the title, im a complete noob :D. I know how to solder but first off, is there a special type of solder, soldering iron, and wire you need? And are the 0603 LEDS the only one you can use for modding psp's? Lol, I still got more ques. So i would like to the the soundreactive triggers but i dont have the chip thing... so i would solder it to the speakers right? What are the exact points I have to solder it to? And is it possible to have a trigger mod where its soundreactive and wired to the hold switch at the same time? Lol, LASTLY, I want to do the clear silver ring mod, where you put a peice of plexi glass on the back of the umd door then put the psp logo on. Would this be hard? And can I use any other materials besides plexi glass? Lol thx for your time... your probably like this on your comp while read this  :faint:

Offline i22foosh

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: COMPLETE NOOB, HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:09:48 AM »
No, to mod the psp, people use normal 15 watt irons, risen core solder with 60/40 or 63/37 mix, and 0603 leds are the normal one we use to mod psp's because of their size. You should buy the sound chip, its like $1.50 at radioshack.

The clear silver ring mod is called jewel. All you do is, get a design, give it to Kenshin to design on computer, pay him $3-$5, then wait for Timmy or Neubit to come back and they will make jewel and ship it. Its not at all hard, you just cut out the back and place jewel in.
having a higher post count doesn't earn respect in the forums, quality posts do.

thanks,

deda and reaper

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 11:10:44 AM »
i would use a 15 watt iron, .015 solder, and 30 gauge kynar wire. also, i would highly reccomend only using o603 smts

Offline i22foosh

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 11:26:48 AM »
Arent smd's better
having a higher post count doesn't earn respect in the forums, quality posts do.

thanks,

deda and reaper

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
same thing.

Offline 4dP

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Modder For Hire - AM Donator
    • Modder For Hire website Hire me
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »
you wouldn't  really need to use a 15 watt i personally use a 30 40 watt soldering iron and i know edhel uses a 50 watt adjustable soldering iron best thing is to get a solder station with a soldering iron included so you can adjust the heat etc

PINOY AKO

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 12:28:15 PM »
surface mount type = smt
surface mount device = smd

:winker:

pwned :D
On topic: Basically, you can find all of this stuff except for the LEDs in radioshack. For the LEDS, try eBay if searching for the cheapest item is time consuming to yah. There are other places that have them pretty cheap but I wouldn't know of any :D
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline i22foosh

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 12:30:45 PM »
pwned :D
On topic: Basically, you can find all of this stuff except for the LEDs in radioshack. For the LEDS, try eBay if searching for the cheapest item is time consuming to yah. There are other places that have them pretty cheap but I wouldn't know of any :D

No.. Ebay takes 3-4 weeks to ship. Id go to mouser.com or uniqueled.com

thanks,

deda and reaper

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 12:38:34 PM »
Problem is WHERE they ship from. Since mine come from hong kong usually, it takes 7-25 days to get to the US here. I'm guessing since you live closer, it doesn't take as long for yah, or mabey you don't get them from hong kong sellers.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline i22foosh

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 12:41:09 PM »
You have a point, but id still go to mouser.com or uniqueled.com because they have netter quality material. Also, i mostly find 0603 leds from ebay from China.

thanks,

deda and reaper

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 02:44:30 AM »
You have a point, but id still go to mouser.com or uniqueled.com because they have netter quality material. Also, i mostly find 0603 leds from ebay from China.
i got my 0603's of ebay from hong kong and geez it was fast less then a week ussually it takes about 3 weeks likes my clear case from hong kong.

also there is no special solder needed. Kynar wire is not the only wire you can use. and 0603 leds work the best because baiscally you wont be ably to fit a 3mm led unless you has a lot of roo,

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 03:46:48 AM »
True but Kynar is like the most effective wire to use. Or else magnetic wire, or else copper wire, but you'd need some skinny copper wire, and you'd have to be careful since most copper wire is not insulated and wil burn you like a mother if you are soldering it. :D

Offline ndru98

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »
Um could anyone tell me the answer to my soundreactive ques? And i was talking about the transparent silver ring... XD

Offline P3nnyw1se

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • AcidMaG
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 09:30:27 PM »
I use Kynar, and some of this solder
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062725&cp=&sr=1&origkw=solder&kw=solder&parentPage=search
Along with a 15W Grounded iron from RS as well...used it to fix my Xbox video output problem! (loose connection on mobo)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal