Author Topic: Portable/internal Wifi  (Read 7629 times)

Offline platinumc

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
Portable/internal Wifi
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:38:23 PM »
sounds wicked, eh :d

anyway, here's my idea (probably impossible though, but i thought i'd share it with y'all)

1st, you get the portable internet connection from your local ISP (internet service provider)
2nd, you get internet->wifi part (router, or whatever)
3rd, you connect these 2 via each other, and it should do it..

now here's the tricky part - ...Internal...

opening those 2, and getting only the parts necessary (to smallen them up), and connecting them similary as in 1-3, OR combining them altogether.
and then matching them/it to psp, by replacing the umd part.

sounds a bit tricky :P...
i know that portable wifi can be done, which is still kewl (you put it to your bag or something, and you can always be online with your psp, wherever you are ;) ).

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: Portable/internal Wifi
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 03:06:15 PM »
That won't work.You do realize the router needs to be plugged into a wall(and no,the psp will NOT power it) and it also needs to be plugged into the modem(to get internet). This WON'T work portably...OR internally.

Don't get me wrong,it's a great idea! That would be pretty cool to have wifi anywhere haha

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • (Modder for hire) Live in your world, Mod in ours.
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:35:38 PM »
im sure that if we manage to hack the sony gps device we could use the servers to get Internet through from a portable isp, e.g. orange wireless cards for laptops work over satellites so if you has a special isp that provides that service to you then you could get Internet anywhere, but it would be more software based than hardware based
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »
that might work using the gps but then again i don't think the satellites are made to do that. but if we can change the config on the gps to locate some of the satellites that are meant for the internet then it might just work but it would be a lot of work.

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • FileSock.Sourceforge.net
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 11:40:54 PM »
I don't think the official PSP GPS has the hardware capabilities to provide internet service.
Though people have managed to use other GPS units, so you could probably use one of those, and of course a special custom firmware addon that would need to be written. So if you know C, and have a GPS unit, and also pay for satellite internet, then you can try to think of something.

Tech Support Crew at The Gathering 08 (worlds second biggest LAN party)

Offline platinumc

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 03:29:41 AM »
well the portable internet thing has the option to plug the wifi making router there...
the only thing i missed, was powering :D

edit - currently the only portable internet in estonia
Download Speed   256 kbit/s    512 kbi/s    1 Mbit/s
Upload Speed      128 kbit/s      128 kbit/s     256 kbit/s
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 03:32:45 AM by platinumc »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 12:41:51 PM »
well the portable internet thing has the option to plug the wifi making router there...
the only thing i missed, was powering :D

edit - currently the only portable internet in estonia
Download Speed   256 kbit/s    512 kbi/s    1 Mbit/s
Upload Speed      128 kbit/s      128 kbit/s     256 kbit/s

No dude,you don't understand. You  NEED to have the "router" plugged into the modem,and the wall outlet!

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 02:02:50 PM »
not realy you can use your phone as a gateway to access the internet if you pay for internet on your phone and it support that feature.(you be surprised how many phones can do that.). or if you pay for wireless internet  from a phone provider the network cards you get access anywhere you go. but you whould have to figure otu how to hook it up to the psp and you dont own the cards.

Offline platinumc

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 02:13:59 PM »
No dude,you don't understand. You  NEED to have the "router" plugged into the modem,and the wall outlet!

the portable interent is "the modem".. so you just need to connect these 2.. and as i said - yeah i missed the power part (ofc with extrnal battery it wouldnt fit to psp, but still could be used as portable in your bag or sth)

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 05:31:26 PM »
the portable interent is "the modem"..
Ok I'm getting seriously frustrated with you guys XD Have you EVER used a computer before???????
Router is hooked up using an ethernet cable into the MODEM which is connected to the cable wire,which is plugged into the cable outlet in your house.Both need to be connected to an outlet for power,which the psp will supply NO where near enough for them,not even one.

And phones can't port forward! How the :censored: would you port forward to get internet on a phone?? And routers don't search for wireless internet to then just project it again! If you could somehow magically port forward on your phone,you have a better chance of connecting your psp straight to that instead! There is no way to have your router get internet from your phone! Not even when hell freezes over!!!!!!

Well,there's my 2 cents ^_^

Offline platinumc

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 06:01:54 PM »
it uses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimax technology, which is similar to wifi, as i understood now, so not quite what i meant at first, the only advantage to it against wifi, is that it covers almost the whole country, so basically, if we could make psp recognize the wimax waves (should be just editing how psp searches for wifi, cause they are quite similar, and/or taking out the wifi antenna, and replacing it with the wimax antenna (which is inside the wimax box, you get when making a contract with your isp)), we could then be online in almost anywhere (depends on your wimax coverages)

so, im sorry for talking confusing text before, but this above should be quite right now... i hope

and, just a random guess - don't newer wifi enabled phones (n-series and such) can't do port forwarding and stuff? cause i once read about the new n95/n98's, and it seemed they are quite powerful already

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 02:58:02 AM »
Please just abandon this project, you don't have the knowledge to make this work.

1. you would need a 3g or satellite modem, and actually connect it to the psp

2. you would need to make software to make this work

i strongly believe you don't know any of those things
i don't mean to be rude, but its true. wall of reality critts you for 400k damage

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 01:11:56 PM »
i was just talking about internet throgh the phone not phone to router at home but thier is a phone that you hook your computer up to to get internet with your laptop on the road. i was saying use the psp in place of the laptop. but you would need a way to transfer data to and from the phone and psp. i am sure all this is way over your head and you should drop the projrct this will end up costing you too uch money to even attempt.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 01:42:06 PM »
yer its hardly a posible mod as you would need loads of knowledge on psp writing and wireless internet tecnology.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Dazzerr--

• Bomb Maker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 01:53:56 PM »
Weather you got loads or not this ISNT going to work :taunt:

Offline platinumc

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 04:21:18 PM »
i didnt meant i'd try this myself... it was just an idea i got, when i was thinking when going to sleep one day.. just thought i'd share it with you :D...

im sure, there is a way, maybe not like this, but somehow there is a way. there always is. :P

ps - my leds and resistors from uk came here.. have to pick them up tomorrow... im so sure i'll screw something up, by trying tp put them to triggers :D

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 09:45:56 PM »
cant wait to read your thread on how you destroyed your psp.

Offline Takahashi

• Evangelion 01
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
Ok I'm getting seriously frustrated with you guys XD Have you EVER used a computer before???????
Router is hooked up using an ethernet cable into the MODEM which is connected to the cable wire,which is plugged into the cable outlet in your house.Both need to be connected to an outlet for power,which the psp will supply NO where near enough for them,not even one.

And phones can't port forward! How the :censored: would you port forward to get internet on a phone?? And routers don't search for wireless internet to then just project it again! If you could somehow magically port forward on your phone,you have a better chance of connecting your psp straight to that instead! There is no way to have your router get internet from your phone! Not even when hell freezes over!!!!!!

Well,there's my 2 cents ^_^

Yes PSPkicks and gameking said, you can connect a laptop to the internet through your phone via bluetooth. Plantinumc, a better choice that would be more cost friendly would do the bluetooth mod and somehow make software that could recieve the internet feed from your phone. Still not likely but if you really had to try, id say that would be the most near successful route.

Help a fellow out and buy his stuff, Everything MUST go!
Signature and Avatar by Kenshinffx.

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 01:09:37 AM »
The bluetooth mods now created are capable of sending audio signals from the psp's audio outputs.
Not transfer data to and from the psp's kernel

you need the pc, and a wifimax or something between the psp and the phone

Offline platinumc

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 01:34:25 AM »
cant wait to read your thread on how you destroyed your psp.
thx for positive feedback :P

atleast i have 2 :D

Offline prettierwendead

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • You Are My Living Legend
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 07:48:06 AM »
well i have a tmobile mda vario 2 and i can use its internet on my psp it has hsdpa wich is basically mobile broadband about 2mb/s and using a program for it called WMWifiRouteri can use it to get online with my psp anywhere and i know it works cos i use it all the time so internet on psp anywhere can be done and it doesnt cost me anything cs i get unlimited internet on my contract

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 08:15:20 AM »
maybe once pvp has the usbhost mod done somebody can write an app to let you use your phone as a modem, my dad pays for broadband that he uses his phone as a modem for so he can use it on the go,but i still prefer good old telephone line internet,cos it doesnt cost nearly as much!
Derp.

Offline r34p3rex

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 08:26:21 AM »
this can be done relatively easy actually, contrary to what others have said.

you'll want to load a linux based third party firmware on any router that supports it (with internal serial), get a USB data cable with serial output for your cellphone, hook it up to the internal serial leadouts on the router, write a script for your router to autoconnect to the data network via your phone, and you should be set.

http://devices.natetrue.com/mobileap/

^^ more information.

or if you have a PCMIA 3G card, you can build a stompbox.
http://www.stompboxnetworks.com/

i've personally done this with a wrt54g modded with openwrt running off a laptop battery pack.

goodluck :P

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 11:48:24 AM »
i new i wast dreaming. man at last some support to what i was saying. ya now this sound a lot more fesable

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal