Author Topic: External UMD drive :)  (Read 6878 times)

Offline r34p3rex

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
External UMD drive :)
« on: January 18, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »
Does anyone know any companies that custom manufacture ribbon cables and surface mount connectors? i'm working on making an external UMD drive (i took mine out to save space)

THe basic concept is this, get a custom ribbon made that starts off as a ribbon on the PSP side, becomes a single cable (one mini-wire for each trace on the ribbon, all bundled up), and terminates with a female connector. the female connector will sit somewhere accessible (on the UMD maybe?) then have another cable made to convert the UMD drive end of the ribbon into the same type of connector (male).

theoretically, you would be able to connect the UMD drive at will and use it to play whatever UMD if the need ever arises.

Does this sound plausible to anyone? Or am i just a bit too high at the moment  :hifive:

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: External UMD drive :)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 11:06:29 PM »
no manufacture makes those cables.

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 11:29:05 PM »
no manufacture makes those cables.

there are companies, there going to run you about $300.00 usd and you will have to do all the desinge your self, they just make the flex circut.

Offline prettierwendead

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • You Are My Living Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 12:17:02 AM »
its is very exspensive and even if u do get the custom cables there is still a button in the umd drawer thsat needs pressing

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • (Modder for hire) Live in your world, Mod in ours.
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 02:46:29 AM »
it would be quite easy but you need to be good at soldering

the umd drive ribbons have the connectors but you could just attach wires to those connectors and have a connector on the end which can plug into a socket for your psp - then have a second ribbon from a umd drive that is either broken or if you can just get another ribbon it would be fine plug that into the umd drive socket and attach it to a connector with normal wires

then do something for the power your choice either do all that again or just replace it with a battery - as it will be removable it shouldn't matter

and it would then work if you hang on ill draw some pics

but i hope that you were going to put the umd drive in a case so that it doesn't get damaged and also because the laser is harmful to the eyes

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 03:30:07 AM by FaT3oYCG »
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 07:32:05 AM »
Maybe this will help? It sounds like the thing your looking for.
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Flexible-Printed-Circuits/
Good luck  :tup:

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 06:34:33 PM »
external umd drive will be great  :yess: save lots of space for mods :clap:. Gl getting it going  :tup:
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline metalfreak187

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 08:24:59 PM »
Dude, you should just put in a female ribbon connector in the back somewhere or on the bottom edge where u took out the UMD drive.  Then you can Just connect your ribbon cable straight up to the psp, and it wont even need to be ported back to the psp thru USB then, you just run the ribbon in the psp to the external port, and then plug it into there with another ribbon cable.  That way, it's still hooked up the way it was originally, just with a longer cable pretty much.  You could maybe have something in your XMB to "detect" when you hook up the UMD drive...maybe manipulate how it detects UMDs to detect the whole drive being plugged in...

I had this idea, too, and that's the way i had it planned out in my head, i just never tried to do it...

Hope this helps...

-BMFC
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 08:26:32 PM by metalfreak187 »

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • (Modder for hire) Live in your world, Mod in ours.
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 03:08:08 AM »
Dude, you should just put in a female ribbon connector in the back somewhere or on the bottom edge where u took out the UMD drive.  Then you can Just connect your ribbon cable straight up to the psp, and it wont even need to be ported back to the psp thru USB then, you just run the ribbon in the psp to the external port, and then plug it into there with another ribbon cable.  That way, it's still hooked up the way it was originally, just with a longer cable pretty much.  You could maybe have something in your XMB to "detect" when you hook up the UMD drive...maybe manipulate how it detects UMDs to detect the whole drive being plugged in...

I had this idea, too, and that's the way i had it planned out in my head, i just never tried to do it...

Hope this helps...

-BMFC

i had the idea that he wanted it to be removable easily so that wouldn't let him hence why using some kind of connector
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline redryno1221

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Redrynotuts
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 11:07:21 PM »
Here another tut hope it helps http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/etching.htm

Offline loganbyers07

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 03:17:16 PM »
i have thought about this alot and what would be wicked awesome is if you could have a device that just clips into where the umd drive is now and then you can have a removeable umd drive... Possibly even find someway to have another clip on accessory that has a hard drive in it... (just speclating but that would be AWESOME!)

Thanks for the sig dhuvrock2000

The best way to get cool gaming stuff for free!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal