Author Topic: Regrounding AC Power Port  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Tortri

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Regrounding AC Power Port
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:09:50 AM »

While I "attempted" to do the USB charging mod, I had problems taking out the ac power port (was wedged in good) and ended up taking out the ground from the PCB itself.  I resoldered the power back on with no problem but the ground itself took a small layer of PCB with it making it impossible for me to resolder it back on.. (I tried with no success).  Right now my fix is basically using the USB Power cables (mini usb + power cable to USB to charge) which is regrounding it.  with that said..

My question is, where is another ground that isn't on the USB and fairly easy to solder, so I can run a wire from the ac power port ground to another ground.

Thanks

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
Re: Regrounding AC Power Port
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 12:45:18 PM »
All gold exposed parts like the writing or the gold thing around the screws are all Grounds.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline Tortri

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 05:30:21 PM »
Well i soldered a wire(cat5e wire to be precise)from the ac power port ground to the grounded screw right next to it and it's still not charging.  I'm stumped right now.  When I plug in the power cable nothing lights up nor indicates its charging.  It seems to charge when I use the mini usb/powerplug to usb.   When I connect the mini usb / power plug, then connect it to my computers usb it starts charging.  I've tried the sony power plug then connecting the psp from mini usb to computer and nothing.  I swear its a grounding issue seeing how it charges when it's connected to the computer but i'm not seeing how to fix it now that i've soldered a new ground into it. 

Anyone have an idea?  (short from going to gamestop and doing a pcb switch with a used psp then returning it)

Thanks

Offline Tortri

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:57:55 AM »
Out of one frying pan and into another.  Basically I added a second wire.   The first of course is getting grounded to the board.  Then I added another going from the ground power port to the ground on the battery contacts.  But the wire is getting in the way of the battery from making complete contact and not sitting correctly.. so i fixed my charging problem, but now my battery isn't working because its not resting right.  Photos to follow soon today(hopefully).  Gonna desolder that wire and put it on the little plastic piece and have solder leading to it...hopefully.. i'll see what i can do.. bleh
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 12:50:20 PM by Tortri »

Offline Tortri

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:08:11 AM »
Okay, its all working now.  So the power cable is now grounded to the board and the battery.  Now I can charge again.  :clap:  The only thing now is basically the battery clicks in as the wire is some what in the way but isn't.

As you see in this photo it's a crap job, it is my first attempt, the second attempt looks a little better  :eyebrow:

You can see the two wires, the one going to the left and grounding to the board, the other going around to the back, soldered into the negative(ground) battery contact.

All is working well, charging and battery use :-)  The whole reason why this happen was because i was going to do the usb mod then when i was disconnecting the ac power port, it was wedged and broke the contacts going from the plastic piece to the pcb(not the contacts on the pcb).  I resoldered them back on, but manage to break the contact from the PCB completely off taking it, along with some pcb(the green crap).   :x:

It's all fixed now, w00t!

Offline greendragonslim

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 12:24:17 AM »
could you post a pic of where the new ac is on the case? I'm interested in doing the same thing and want to see tons of tuts before I even open my psp.  :tup:
future mods: case swap for psp, dual nub
spray paint ps2 and hdloader

ADMIN : Please refrain from using vulgur words in sig images...

Offline Tortri

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 07:33:03 AM »
New AC?  Theres nothing new about it. 

I resoldered the broken power contact back on the pcb, then resoldered the ground contact with two wires, one going to a ground on the PCB and one going to the ground (negative) on the battery contact.  When I'm referring to the contacts, its the metal things that you slide the plastic part into(ac power port, the big white one) the contacts are suppose to be on the motherboard, sticking out angled. (for example, like a plug outlet, you have the 3 prongs sticking out, and you plug that into the wall.. the prongs are what i'm referring to as contacts, but in this case they are on the motherboard.)

Are you looking for better pictures, like zoomed out or clearer?  Once you take the PSP apart you'll see where those connections are and see what i'm talking about.

If your trying to figure out where are you looking at in reference to the PSP.  Looking at the front of the PSP, the AC power port is on the top right, behind the LCD, near the R trigger.

Check out these images and tell me if they are what your looking for.

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:41:05 AM by Tortri »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal