Author Topic: [POC] SD Card as Memory for PSP  (Read 161004 times)

Offline Silentheero

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: [POC] SD Card as Memory for PSP
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2008, 11:08:45 AM »
Could we cut down on the complexity by using something like this? Just solder the connection between the socket and the adapter.
SD card> SD socket> ribbon/wire/etc> adapter> PSP. Keep the functionality of the pro duo and be able to use 16gb SD cards.

Edit: the breakout board/ SD socket http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=204#
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:11:06 AM by Silentheero »

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2008, 12:27:29 PM »
@FaT3oYCG:

This is just an simple card reader. I did use something like this as a basic card slot for this mod. It connects an sd card with an usb host (aka your computer or stuff). But you can't connect another usb client like an hdd or something to it, cause they can't communicate without a host. That's why you would need and usb host (like on OTG Hdds) and that is exactly what PvP is doing.

But maybe I get you guys wrong??

@Silentheero:
Don't get it.... what is the difference to the way it is done?
We use any kind of slot (also the one you've posted will of course do) and any kind of microSD->ms pro duo adapter. this both soldered together and you're ready to go.

bye
 Ali

Offline Silentheero

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2008, 01:08:23 PM »
Not a problem with the way it is done. Just thinking of how to make it smaller and uniform. Using the bare socket you can easily make an enclosure that could fit onto the PSP.

Also I was speaking mostly to the ones wanting to internalize it, which is being worked on but not yet possible. https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=15459.0

Great idea! Thanks for inspiring us to try it out.  :clap:

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »
hi silentheero!

I see. But I wouldn't spent ~15$ for the slot only ;) - anyway it seems really pretty nice small...

Do you have an idea where to put it?
I searched around inside my psp, but didn't found a nice place... that's the reason why I want to try to modify the original slot, so it would read sd and ms pro duo. But that would be naturally much of an effort.

bye
 Ali

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2008, 08:06:47 PM »
ok so i got a duo 512mb card thinking that the internals would be the same as the 2 gig u used as far as the exta points to soder the ide to but it doesnt so i took apart a duo to sd adapter and glued some plastic under it and turned it around. im going to soder ide to the other end but because im not useing a duo it dosent lock in so will the psp think there isnt a card in? so i need to soder something else too and in those diagrams that have spi diagrams it that what the duo in your mod is doing? so later when cf 16 gig prices go down can i wire my micro sd 512mb or duo 512mb as a translator?

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2008, 04:07:14 AM »
Hi folklord36!

I'm sorry, but I really can't follow your explanations... please use some line-breaks and give me some description of what you're talking about :)

What does the memory stick I have/had matter?
What do you mean with ide? (Is it probably the cable usually used to connect ide devices?)
What do you mean by an spi diagram? (I only know the bus...)

And for the CF issue: Don't know, but I think I remember, that there are some adapters for sd<->cf out there, so this would kinda work. But this would be a little bit unhandy, cause it will grow pretty much, I think.
Would be easier to go directly from CF->ms pro duo. But don't know if there are adapters around - but should be.
Anyway: SD doesn't take that much electrical power, so it won't suck down your battery and it is rather cheap, because it is used in 80% of all devices. (ok, maybe less than 80%, but pretty much ;))
So I don't think, that CF would really become an alternative. Specially when it is not used that much anymore, then they will push prices.
Btw. why do you want to use CF?

bye
 Ali

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • (Modder for hire) Live in your world, Mod in ours.
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2008, 05:01:52 AM »
isn't a cf card just another name for a micro drive ?

if it is then there are adapters made specifically for the psp, if it isnt could you link me to a picture please

thanks
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2008, 05:12:14 AM »
yes :)
I only thought about some cheaper self-made possibilities

Offline Silentheero

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2008, 09:31:25 AM »
Aliander- Ya the price is a bit much. Found this one without the board. http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=136# It's smaller and cheaper and would fit inside much easier. As for a place for it, I myself would scrap the UMD drive since I copy the games I own to iso. Although some will not want to do that.

I must admit that the only insides I have seen are online since I haven't had time to work on my own. That will change after I get my new soldering iron and the pieces I need. I will update you if I find a good spot for it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 09:54:18 AM by Silentheero »

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2008, 02:44:03 PM »

when i put this in it dose not lock in beacuse it dosent have the notch.  will my psp think there is no card in it do i need to soder something to make it think there is a card in?

my cards.left is a sandisk m2 adapter, middle micro sd sandisk m2,right sandisk 512mb msdp i also have a sandisk 4gb sdhc and a sony 2gb msdp

http://www.planetmobile.it/jumpjack/adattatore/pinout-eng.html

spi pin outs are on here and have lables like slave and stuff idk what to make of it really

i have had my psp in pices now for 4 days  as i cant solder to the adapter i mad any tips?

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2008, 04:53:56 PM »
What notch?

And what exactly is the problem?

Offline Infrit121

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2008, 10:25:32 AM »
omfg (oh my fooking god)

that is what he did, but you mean if he put a female usb connection on the end he may be able to use any usb device

Thats what I meant, I've read PvP's work with the USB HDD ... still a work in progress for that one .... I meant using a Pro Duo USB Adapter Backwards to an open female USB end so instead of using a 16gb card use a USB thumb Drive or what ever else.

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2008, 10:40:14 AM »
what do u mean the, words in front of the question mark? Is my question how hard is that to understand reread my posts and if theres a question mark then im asking a question. I included pics i cant be any more specific but im just frustrated because i dont know what too do but i guess its my own fault but please reread my posts because i need help please and thank you
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:18:50 AM by folklord36 »

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • (Modder for hire) Live in your world, Mod in ours.
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2008, 11:21:28 AM »
Thats what I meant, I've read PvP's work with the USB HDD ... still a work in progress for that one .... I meant using a Pro Duo USB Adapter Backwards to an open female USB end so instead of using a 16gb card use a USB thumb Drive or what ever else.

i understood what you meant and im sure i pointed that out on a previous post or asked if that would works aswell, the problem would be that a female usb adapter has 4 pins and a casing making 5 connections, and the sd slot on the psp has 10 but if you managed to wire it correctly then i guess it could work but it would be difficult as there are more pins that need to have information sent down them which may not be possible but it should seen as he managed to wire an sd card reader to it all you would have to do is look how one of them is connected to the card reader and back wire it that way
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline Infrit121

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2008, 04:10:19 PM »
i understood what you meant and im sure i pointed that out on a previous post or asked if that would works aswell, the problem would be that a female usb adapter has 4 pins and a casing making 5 connections, and the sd slot on the psp has 10 but if you managed to wire it correctly then i guess it could work but it would be difficult as there are more pins that need to have information sent down them which may not be possible but it should seen as he managed to wire an sd card reader to it all you would have to do is look how one of them is connected to the card reader and back wire it that way

I'll give it a try ... I just gotta swing down by Compusa and get a a cheap usb pro duo adapter and I think I still have my original 32mb stick somewhere around ... I'll let u know how it goes in a few days ... I know they have male to male usb

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2008, 04:41:05 PM »
Hi folklord36!

Well, your english sucks like hell ;)
But here we go:

So you say, when you put in those loose contacts of an ms pro duo thingie the slot doesn't lock.
You can measure through what contacts of the slot are closed (something of the metal part, that is soldered down to the pcb) when you put in a normal ms-stick. there you would have to make some kind of switch for manually telling the psp that there is a new card...
At the moment I don't have an open psp here, so I can't test it out. But it shouldn't be too hard to figure out...

So, now you have the microSD -> mspd adapter lying open. no get a really flat cable (kynar maybe) and solder it straight  to the pins where the microSD card would have been. when you're put it back together, maybe with a little glue.

now you need a slot for the SD/SDHC Card (direct soldering isn't really a good idea). got this one you just solder the cable now sticking out of the microSD->msdp adapter to the card slot. how to wire this exactly has been already tabled around the first pages of this thread.

I hoped this helps
bye
 Ali

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2008, 04:56:56 PM »
what is the biggest compatible memcard for this? (Kinda looks goofy, but ok...)

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2008, 10:38:33 PM »
16GB
but 32 is on the go (should be already out, to be exactly)

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »
my micro sd to duo adapter dosent have a translatior in it there is no pcb with resistors and stuff its just a physical adapter. and the contacts are too small to solder to but i managed to get the pro duo to sd adapter with a wire on all 10 contacts. but i have no translator still. do i need a translator to make a sdhc card work or do i just split the ground and follow wire diagrams?

Offline JefeSand

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2008, 05:08:39 PM »
Ok, for the guys asking about using the ms pro duo card slot to read a usb device.  That is impossible to do without a chip that can request data from the the SD side of the adapter. You need a USBHost. The card reader that aliander is using is just used to hold the sd card.  The same result could be had if you just wired directly to the sd cards pins.  All the work is being done by the micro chip in the sd to ms pro duo.  The card reader is doing nothing.  A usbclient needs to be connected to a USBHost in order to communicate. To try and put it simply the USBHost has the ability to request data from a client however a client cannot request information from the host. The chips built in to a usbclient do not have the ability to request data from a host or a client. That's why trying to put a flashdrive to the ms pro duo slot will not work the chips on the usb reader can not request data from the SD side. So don't waste your money trying. And no a USB OTG will not work either it will try to read the PSP as a mass storage device. Of course more than likely you'll fry your psp attempting it.    
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:12:29 PM by JefeSand »

Offline JefeSand

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2008, 05:28:07 PM »
folklord, your problem is you are using a M2 adapter instead of a MicroSD adapter.  The M2 is based off of Memory Stick technology which is what the MS Pro Duo is based off, hense the MS. Get a MicroSD adapter and it will work. You need a chip that can translate the data from MS to SD.   

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
where can i buy that memcard reader in the pics?

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2008, 11:00:37 PM »
Hi Jefesand!

Thanks for backup :)
Didn't know about the m2 ...

Offline JefeSand

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2008, 03:31:37 PM »
No prob, you know how bored I get at work.

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2008, 06:07:09 PM »
hey people, i found places that you can buy everything. here they are:

flat cable:http://www.impactcomputers.com/p000363880.html
card reader:http://www.hama.de/portal/articleId*125090/action*2563
adapter wi/ 1gb microsd:http://www.memoryx.net/tf1gbtr.html

i bought 16gb sdhc from ebay, but you can get here:

http://www.meritline.com/a-data-16gb-turbo-sdhc-flash-card.html

PS: cost me $85 for all

Offline JefeSand

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2008, 08:21:58 PM »
adapter wi/ 1gb microsd:http://www.memoryx.net/tf1gbtr.html
Man, I hate to tell you but that adapter is a MicroSD to SD, not MS Pro Duo.

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2008, 08:34:38 PM »
oopps, i bought it......

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2008, 01:45:14 PM »
ok plaease dose anyone know where to get a adapter that will do the same thing as the transend sd to pro duo adapter because i cant find it any where  and i am not able to order online i need to buy it at a store?

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2008, 02:28:57 PM »
@folklord36:
So, that will be quite tricky to tell you a local store to get this adapter. Maybe we should find another way, when it's impossible for you to order something online.
Something like this: anybody here (maybe someone near you) orders it for you, you change money for adapter and you go modding :)

Well, where do you live?

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »
ya i can order online now im lookin for a good site to get it right now. fast delivey is important to me. I live in Florida

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal