Author Topic: got a...small problem here  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Jabra_X

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
got a...small problem here
« on: February 11, 2008, 12:03:03 PM »
first of all would like to say im new to the acidmods forum, been reading the posts for a while and now i resgistered, so hello all  :victory:

now to my question: when i was exploring the wild areas of my ds phat and just replaced the casing i came at my last flatwire (the one at the right for the touchscreen)
when i attached the 2 lower thiner flatwires i broke the black thingy you need to use to tighten the flatwire. now my ds isnt goin on anymore....
so my question is do i need a new mobo or is it able to repair on a different way?
though its not that a big deal cause i was plannin on buyin a lite anyways but still  :hifive:

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
Re: got a...small problem here
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 01:12:11 PM »
insert the ribbon cable then put tape over it should work
Derp.

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 01:23:26 PM »
Yeah like Ryan said mate. Place it in there as snug as you can and use something to apply pressure from the top, like tape, or else if you want a more permanent solution (dont quote me if it doesnt work :P), hot glue :D
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 03:32:18 PM »
you could solder them toghter, I did that with a psp when I broke the black flap
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 04:45:45 PM »
Hmm is that actually possible with the DS??? I have a touch screen that apparently won't work since it's probably went through so much bending and tearing, I tried ductaping the ribbon straight, but that didnt work, and then I messed mytop screen nasty
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 09:58:34 PM »
here some help to show what I mean

there you go
that should help, but becareful becuase you ay mess up your top screan so only do this if you have over 2 years of soldering skill

sorry about sucky pics, and they may not make sense to some either
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline Jabra_X

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 10:18:03 PM »
thanks all for your help the ducktape should work out  :hifive:
i dont have much solder experience but i think you got me wrong. i understand the pics above but thats the wrong flatwire, i broke the one with the 2 smaller flatwires underneath it.  :faint:

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 10:20:34 PM »
thanks all for your help the ducktape should work out  :hifive:
i dont have much solder experience but i think you got me wrong. i understand the pics above but thats the wrong flatwire, i broke the one with the 2 smaller flatwires underneath it.  :faint:
oh, alright well sorry

buts its still posible with any ribbon

Offline Jabra_X

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 11:51:41 PM »
ok thanks i will safe these images for when my solder iron comes in  :tup:

Offline Jabra_X

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 02:45:53 AM »
ok so i tried the to tape the flatwire a few times and turned the ds on and off, but the only sign of life i got was that the upper screen flashed on and off real quick... so i think i broke the ribbon but i know that i screwed up good  :tup:
so know its just waiting until my lite arrives until then i got a broken ds to practise my solder technics on :yess:

thanks again for the help
(ps: sorry for the double post was tryin out the tape first)

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 03:55:44 AM »
Well that means that you dint properly connect your other ribbon. If you're talking about the ds lite touch screen, there's 2 ribbons to connect, the touch screen, which is a small 4 pin ribbon cable that can take take as much pain as a fly in a fly squatter :P, the other one, is the ribbon that connects the LCD, and it is hard to break that one only because it's in a position where nothing can really harm it, and it isn't put to any bending or any stress unless you pull it in and out alot (<- man that sounded wrong XD). Anyway, like I did, just ignore the cable if you ripped it or can't seem to make it work, order a new touch screen, they aren't too much, and put everything back together, you end up with a ds lite that has no touch screen capabilities. Sadly since some games are touch screen only, you might as well just not touch for a while.

Offline Jabra_X

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 04:30:57 AM »
yea but i got a phat ds not a lite :P

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 04:45:45 AM »
Bleh had to be sure, I saw the line that mentioned you having 2 other smaller ribbons underneath, and I'm thinking, yeah it's a phat XD. Well it shouldn't be hard either, since they don't really get bent or anything, but yeah the only options there is either tape it, solder it, glue it :D, or get a replacement clip , but I doubt they sell that, so it would mean getting a new mobo.

Offline Jabra_X

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 04:58:25 AM »
im just gonna leave it as it is maybe in the future i can fix it but now its a nice ds to practise my solder on  :clap:

but about the taping i tried it but it has no effect can anyone tell me how i need to apply the tap?

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 03:31:23 PM »
Well it should be right on the spot where the ribbon head and the clip meet. Trust me if applying pressure didn't work, then you're better off finding a way to get a replacement clip, or like you said, use it for practice :D, or you can sell it and probably get enough to get a used or slightly broken DS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal