Author Topic: Pandora Battery Great guide!!  (Read 15143 times)

Offline helldemon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
Pandora Battery Great guide!!
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:17:07 PM »
GUIDE TO: Making Pandora's Battery (*new method*)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st things 1st, lets knock some of those questions out of the way!!!

(Q)Whats Pandora's battery?
(A)If your on this site and dont know what pandora's battery is, then look it up and come back!

(Q)There are alot of Pandora Guides.....What makes your different?
(A)With most of the guides, you requier a homebrew enabled psp. But with my guide, i will show you how to softmod the battery so there is no need for a custom firmwared psp or a psp with a 1.50 kernel!

(Q)Whats Softmod?
(A)Softmodding is a safe and relatively easy way to mod (modify something)

(Q)I dont know what shortcuts are (like OFW and CFW, etc)
(A)For the people that dont know, i will include a "Key" at the bottom of this tutorial. Im trying to make this as "Noob Friendly" as possible (so please if you dont understand something i will try my best to re-explain it)

Next up is the way this tutorial is organized. Here is how it will look:
1)Questions and Answers
2)Materials
3)Process #1 (creating a magic memory stick)
4)Process #2 (softmodding the battery)
5)Testing your battery
6)Running pandora's battery
7)tips and tricks
8)Final question
9)Key
10)Links

so with that said, lets continue with this guide......

(NOTE: materials are labled by: 1)Name and then 2)quantity)

Materials:
----------
A psp running ANY firmware (1)
A compute with an internet connection (1)
A mini USB cable or memory card reader (1)
A knife or exacto knife (1)
A battery (just as long as it is NOT a new battery because they are "pandora proof") (1)
A needle/safety pin (1-2)

Process #1 (Creating A Magic Memory Stick)
-------------------------------------------
1)Turn on the psp
2)Format the memory stick
3)Go into USB mode
4)Next, go here:  http://dl.qj.net/TOTALNewbi-easyInstaller-PSP-Tools-Utilities-(on-PC)/pg/12/fid/14749/catid/1935)At the bottom, select download (the dowload is 135MB so be patient)
6)Extract the application to your desktop
7)Run "Start.exe"
8)Follow the instructions until you get into the installation screen
9)When there, you can select to install the universal unbricker (do this one!!!)
10)After it is done, your going to need to get 2 files. 1)registry 2)kd (i have a download link at the bottom for people without this)
11)Put both (kd & registry) on the root of your memery stick
12)Disconnect your psp and turn it off

Process #2 (Softmodding the battery)
-------------------------------------
1)Take your knife/exact knife and CAREFULLY open your battery
2)once done, look for the connecter labled (ICO4 or CO4) (depending on your battery)
3)Next take your needle/safety pin and CAREFULLY remove the 5th pin (the pins start from the bottom left and up. So pin 5 should be the bottom one on the right.....depending on how you hold your battery.)
4)Put you battery back together (and if you want, glue it back on)

Now from here you are pretty much done! All you really need to do is test your battery.

Testing your battery:
---------------------

(to test battery, insert the battery with no memory stick inserted. the power should automatically come on. If so, you did it!!! if not, then you cut the wrong connecter but you might have 1 more chance to get it right!)

Now all you have to do is run pandora's battery!!!

Running pandora's battery:
--------------------------

(to do this, start the psp with both the ceated memory card and the softmodded battery. You may or may not see anything. But the MS LED and the wifi LED should glow for a second. If it does, just press X and let that run for about 5 minutes. if it doesnt, try re-creating the memory stick)
OK, your psp should turn itself off in the end. all you have to do is remove the battery and the memory stick. and then plug in the charger. Next, turn on the psp and you should have 3.71 M33 or 3.71 M33-2!!!!!

Tips and tricks:
---------------
1)Run the v3 universal unbricker when your done so you can see the text (on slim psp's or fat)
2)Buy a new battery (if your cheap, see the 1st question on "Final Questions"
3)Remember NOT ALL homebrew is comaptible with the psp slim!!

Final Questions:
---------------
(Q)Can i ever dual boot my XMB and my battery
(A)Yes! you can do this only one way. you need to buy a switch and solder on the + and - connecter to the batter and to the switch. This will allow you to choose when you want to boot into pandora's battery or into your XMB (see links)

(Q)When i insert my softmodded battery, the psp turns on but i cant see anything
(A)Thast because your probably using a psp slim which in that case, just press X and then install the V3 unbricker

(Q)The light comes on but my MS LED and my wofi LED doesnt do anything
(A)This is a common problem when you dont follow the instruction EXACTLY, you have to re-create the magic memory stick

(Q)Im curious, how does this work?
(A)Well, pin 5 is the pin that makes the battery load the EEPROM but since its cut, it runs the next thing which is the memory stick.

(Q)Did you create this?
(A)YES!

Key:
----
OFW=Official Firmware
CFW=Custom Firmware
LED=Light Emiting Diod
Jigkick=Auto-Start
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 03:17:46 PM by helldemon »

Offline FreeK

• a-LeeK
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Team CYBER for life
Re: Pandora Battery Great guide!!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 08:20:19 PM »
sticky for you :-)

Offline johnnyblaze

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:44:10 PM »
10)After it is done, your going to need to get 2 files. 1)registry 2)kd (i have a download link at the bottom for people without this)

ahhhhh....wheres the links at???

Offline mrdragon12

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:52:29 PM »
So CFW will be installed allready?

Offline mrdragon12

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:03:57 PM »
Will it work with my stock battery?  :help: :beg:

Offline kdaniel6217

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 12:59:17 AM »

um...i dont see a link anywhere. can you post the link plz? thanks

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 04:23:06 PM »
I tried doing this in a card reader a while back, and it dont work unless its in the psp. dunno why.

Offline Friguy305

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 10:37:12 AM »
Which 1 is the 5pin and how u hold the battery..

Offline teepee

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 10:46:08 AM »

Offline miceen0

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 10:27:14 PM »
I tried doing this in a card reader a while back, and it dont work unless its in the psp. dunno why.

I don't know what you're talking about, I got this to work with a card reader when I didn't have a usb cable with me. But I didn't use a noob installer, it used the original way here http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/pandoras-battery.html

Offline Matvichuk

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »
Hey this may be a stupid question but can the magic memory stick be the 32mb memory stick duo that came with the psp? or does it have to be a pro duo < 4gb like the other tutorials? just wondering cause it would save me buying a memory stick cause i already have one but its over 4 gb....

Offline miceen0

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 05:10:42 PM »
Hey this may be a stupid question but can the magic memory stick be the 32mb memory stick duo that came with the psp? or does it have to be a pro duo < 4gb like the other tutorials? just wondering cause it would save me buying a memory stick cause i already have one but its over 4 gb....

From what I have read the smallest you can go is 256, but I'm not sure. I haven't ever tried it with something greater that a 4gb, I have only used a 1gb and a 2gb. My theory on why it wouldn't work (again I haven't ever tested or tried this) is that your computer or the program can't change something over 4gb into a fat format. Your stick is most likely a fat32 format, and it shouldn't work, you could potentialy brick your psp because you flash0 (where the psp's operating system is) is a fat format, but I don't think that it matters to much.

If I was you I would use a friends memory stick and stick to the guides.

Offline Matvichuk

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 12:54:35 PM »
o ok thanks! I will just use a friends memory stick i think its 512 so it should work fine. thanks again!

Offline miceen0

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 01:38:04 PM »
Just be sure to back his memory stick up; are you hard modding or soft modding you battery?

Offline DaNN0fTHURSDAY

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »
How do i put a game on y PSP after this?
What is the difference between soft modding and hard modding?
Voiding warranties is fun, Don't you think so?

Offline miceen0

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 05:18:32 PM »
You can use the PSP as normal for games, but if you mean to run the game off of the memory stick there are a few steps in order to do this.

The first thing you need to do is get a umd dumper. Dark Alex has a good one it is the Umd dumper beta version 2. You can find it here http://alek.dark-alex.org/pspwiki/index.php/All_Official_Dark-Alex_Releases I think there is a PSARDumper but I haven't had a chance to test it, so don't ask me any questions (and i lost my cable so I can't really do much with my psp for a while). In order to use the dumper you need to get alot of space on your memory stick, I recomend 1GB or greater. Then put the umd in the psp and start the homebrew. It will take a while so hook it into AC and wait.

When it is finished it will be in a .iso format. You can rename the file but you need to leave the .iso. If you're limited on space you can compress the .iso into a .cso (just a compressed .iso). I don't know where I got mine so just google a converter/compressor. I imagin there is a slight benifit in speed if you leave it in a .iso format but I have never seen a difference (but there is a huge speed advantage over the umd). Compressing it into a .cso is the best thing to do in my opion.

Now in order to use it you need to put it into a folder at the root of you memory stick called ISO. Example: on the computer G:\ISO\. The next thing to do is to enable the the 1.50 kernal in the recovery. To do this you might need to (i'm not sure) get a 1.50 kernal addon from Dark Alex http://alek.dark-alex.org/pspwiki/index.php/All_Official_Dark-Alex_Releases. In order to change the kernal you go to the recovery mode and it is in the Configeration section.

If you have never change kernal before, basicly all that is different is where you run hombrew from. If you leave it in the 1.50 kernal then in your game folder you'd put all the 1.50 kernal homebrew (the ones with two folders) in the PSP\GAME folder. Then you'd need to put all the 2.xx/3.xx/4.xx homebrew (the ones with one folder) in a folder called GAMEXXX (the XXX stands for the firmware you have, for example 3.80 is 380 etc.) this folder goes in the PSP\ directory along side the GAME folder.
I you want to leave the kernal in the kernal that is the same as you firmware (i.e. 3.71, 3.80, 3.90, 4.00, etc.) then the 1.50 homebrew goes in a folder called GAME150 along side the GAME folder. And your 2.xx/3.xx/4.xx goes in the GAME folder. I don't think there are that many disadvantages to seting it up for 1.50 kernal and leaveing it but when I run games off of my stick the wifi sucks. I think this is because the wifi wasn't used with the 1.50 kernal.

Offline DaNN0fTHURSDAY

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 10:15:18 AM »
So is it essentially a drag and drop thing once you have the umd in an .iso?

Offline miceen0

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 11:33:57 AM »
Pretty much, but I recommend putting the .iso into .cso to conserve space. Also don't forget to get the kernals right. When you've done it right they should show up along side the rest of your homebrew, and if you get a "game cannot be started error" it is usually because you have the wrong kernal enabled.

Offline DaNN0fTHURSDAY

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 03:17:22 PM »
 i have a psp phat (of course or i wouldnt be here  no duh huh?) but it doesnt match up with all of the pix that everyone else has so i think it is a psp slim battery
i want to upload a pic but i couldnt get it to work cna anyone help on any of the things?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal