Author Topic: other leds?  (Read 2258 times)

Offline bsbuk

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
other leds?
« on: March 09, 2008, 11:18:57 AM »
hi guys, just wondering what is the second smallest leds after 0603 leds as i find them to hard to solder to, and if i buy a different kind of led, will a 10ohm resistor be ok for it?
thankyou

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
Re: other leds?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 11:21:51 AM »
yes

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline tibor28

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 11:44:50 AM »
get 0805, they are bigger and VERY easy to solder and you can still use them perfectly (i even used them for the led swap mod)

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 03:23:27 AM »
0805 and 15 ohm should work ok

Offline bsbuk

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 10:55:11 AM »
thanks for they replys guys, ive ordered some 0805 leds today, and another question lol, i tried soldering some 0603 leds today following lordnicos tutorial, and after soldering them to a wire, i jus put the wires into the psp battery, and they just burn out, tried with 2 and they just burn out?
thanks for your help :)

Offline tibor28

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 12:19:53 PM »
thanks for they replys guys, ive ordered some 0805 leds today, and another question lol, i tried soldering some 0603 leds today following lordnicos tutorial, and after soldering them to a wire, i jus put the wires into the psp battery, and they just burn out, tried with 2 and they just burn out?
thanks for your help :)
the battery has too high voltage for them! You have to chceck the maximum voltage you can apply to your leds otherwise they will immediately burn out

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 11:18:56 PM »
dude the battery has got to much voltage and also packs 1AMP thro them!!!, i mean leds are only surposed to run with 20mah let alone 1AMP!!! of course they are gona burn themself's silly unless you add a resistor :taunt:
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 12:15:21 AM »
once i connect a 0603 to a 9v lol and the LED smoked and smelled really bad.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 12:33:30 AM »

lol, that must have been one of ur brighter ideas  :taunt: , I attached a 0603 to a power surply that i didn't know was set one 16v and 2Amps!!! it didn't even flash just sorta heated up and smoked :cry2:
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 12:56:15 AM »
doesnt sound good.

Offline Phaal

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 12:53:13 PM »
One day I was just playing with a couple different LEDs I had.  I don't remember what I connected one of them to but it glowed orange, different than it's normal color, and made a kind of whining sound before it exploded..... Good thing I had safety glasses on, a small piece hit them and melted on.  :boxed:

Offline tibor28

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 02:20:19 PM »
One day I was just playing with a couple different LEDs I had.  I don't remember what I connected one of them to but it glowed orange, different than it's normal color, and made a kind of whining sound before it exploded..... Good thing I had safety glasses on, a small piece hit them and melted on.  :boxed:
wow lucky man, once i had a 10mm super strong led and accidentaly connected it to a BIT too strong power source (a big rechargable battery that i took out of huge RC car :laughing:) and the led caught fire inside! Lucklily it didnt explode

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal