Author Topic: Questions about an idea for a L+R Led mod  (Read 1886 times)

Offline molski

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Questions about an idea for a L+R Led mod
« on: March 16, 2008, 02:15:21 AM »
Hi Guys,

After checking out several topics on Led Mods for the PSP Slim I started thinking about an idea I would like myself.
I already noticed the Sound Led Mod for the Slim, but what I want to do/have/get is slightly different.

I would like to have 2 Blue Leds, one in the L and one in the R button.
I don't want to keep them activated all the time, so I would to activate them via a switch.

Adding a switch to my Slim would never be as good looking as one of the original switches (Power and WLAN), so I
was thinking about the following:

Can the Leds be placed and controlled by the WLAN Switch? So when I turn on the WLAN, the Blue Leds in the L+R Button will lit.

I checked out several topics about dissasembling the Slim, but didn't find anything specific about the WLAN Switch.

Getting the Leds to work isn't a big problem I think,just solder wires to the Leds and solder the other end of the wires to a specific output on the Slim, but then they will always be "on".
So can the WLAN Switch used to control the Power On / Power Off feature of the Leds?

Regards,

Molski

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
Re: Questions about an idea for a L+R Led mod
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 03:41:54 AM »
If you want to use the WLAN switch, then you will have to wire the WiFi so its always on, personally i would make that choice.

To do it, scratch the lines so you can see copper, and wire some kynar to bypass the switch, then scratch past the copper so the switch is removed from the circuit, then wire your LED's to the switch.

Before       After
------      ------
l       l      l       l
l       l      l       l
l       l      _____
l       l      l       l
l       l      l       l

Hope that makes it kinda simpler.

------ is the switch
l       l is the tracks
_____ is the wire bridging the switch
         is the cut tracks.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline molski

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 04:02:05 AM »
The pictures looks okay, but I think it will be more clear for me when I have my Slim dissasembled in front of me ;)

But if I understand correctly, it's either controlling WiFi with that switch, or power on/off the leds (and have WLAN enabled 247) ?

It cannot be both at the same time? Example, power on WLAN and Leds when the switch is turned on, power off WLAN and Leds when the switch is turned off (so the leds will only be lit when WLAN is on) ?

Regards,

Molski

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 06:31:38 AM »
Im pretty sure its on or the other, on the phats you had to have constant wifi, and an LED Switch.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline molski

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 06:54:14 AM »
Constant WiFi isn't a problem after all, when I think of it, most of the times WiFi is already switched on, because I always forget to turn WiFi off :)

Do you know how much faster the battery will be drained by having WiFi switched on constantly, but not being connected to Router/Accesspoint (most of the times I play games or listen to music).

Offline l0rdnic0

• 2%
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +8/-0
  • TeamCYBER

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:23:27 AM »
Guys the WiFi is controlled by software. The WiFi switch acts like a lockout so you don’t accidentally connect. If you search this forum you will find my mod where I have connected LEDs to the WiFi without sound mod. Basically it’s the same way just wire the LEDs to the Ground pin on the WiFi switch and bridge the WiFi side of the switch, and then connect the 5v point to the appropriate resistor for your LEDs and your done.

or

If you hold off a few days I will be supplying the moding scene with a new way to control your mods.  :faint:

L0rdNiC0 Pioneering Mods on the PSP Slim :taunt:
Sound Mod, Button LED Mod, Security Mod, Dual NUB, Mode Select Switch + More

Offline molski

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 11:17:14 AM »
Sounds good LordNico!

I will keep myself subscribed to this thread, hope you will always post the 'big news' in here (maybe just a quick link in case I will miss the new topic).

The mini led/wifi howto you wrote looks good (and easy), thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal