Author Topic: WiiStation360.....please read  (Read 9602 times)

Offline Jiggyfly

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSP->Revolution
    • My Myspace
WiiStation360.....please read
« on: March 18, 2008, 02:03:38 PM »
well, I didnt know where to put this since it kinda pertain to 3 systems, xbox 360, ps3 and wii....please move if needed

anyways heres the story behind this...back in the day, I had a playstation 2, xbox and a gc...all 3 hooked up to the same tv....I had a system switcher and what not, but it took up a lot of space in my room....so I built a case to house all 3 systems and have full access to each(mostly the gc flip lid) I called it the "Game Station X" anyways...I have seen some of the stuff you guys do, and its awesome, I saw something from bacteria(portableizer extrordinaire...sp??) anyways, I was thinking....would it be possible to mount the hardware from these 3 systems(XBOX360, PS3, WII) into a single custom made case, and have each still work...I have some basic Ideas worked out in my head, I just need to put it all to paper to see if its really practical

my main question is this: if I somehow put a switch on....would, say the PS3 disk drive/laser be able to play 360 or wii software(of course only as each set of hardware is selected via a switch) sorry if I sound confusing, im really tired...basically I want only 1 drive able to play all 3 game formats...is that possible??

also...I dont have a 360...yet, but I have 2 wii's and 2 PS3's, I have found the laser specs for the wii in the manual, but I cant find the PS3 specs....and if someone would be so kind as to put up the dimensions of the 360 system (in cm or mm if possible) and the laser specifications for the PS3 and 360 if you can find them in the manual somewhere...your help will be greatly appreciated
.psp. Slim-Piano Black-3.90 M33-2 with 150_340TM^^

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
Re: WiiStation360.....please read
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »
It would be far easier to keep all the systems seperate, not trying to make them share things.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline Jiggyfly

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSP->Revolution
    • My Myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »
yeah....I guess thats true...I could always do like I did before(better quality this time) and mount each full system inside a custom casing...then maybe move all of the disc drives/IR/controller/mem card slots/ports whatever to the front of the new casing...and maybe put a system switcher on top or on the back to choose which system goes to my TV...that will work too

-EDIT- I dont need laser specs anymore...LOL MattZani is very persuasive...jk

anyways...im gonna try to google for the 360 dimensions, but if someone could post them here that would be awesome^^
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 02:30:17 PM by Jiggyfly »

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 02:35:44 PM »
a 360 in its casing is like 4 DVD cases thick, 1 and a half high, and 1 and abit deep.

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 02:50:10 PM »
you wouldnt be able to use the ps3 drive as its a blueray drive and the wii and 360 are dvd drives also the 360 rellys on part of the drives firmware for validating the validity of discs so that rules out the use of the dvd drive shared between the two.
you could i guess put the 3 consoles inside a computer case and have the 3 drives in the drive bays with the HDD in the HDD bays. but you would probly run into cooling and ventalation problems unless you either loaded it up like an airplane with fans or use a watercooling system (which would be kick ass).
you could then use an XCM cable for all the video outs as the switch so that you only had one video out cable.
any you could i suppose wire up all the power leads to a single lead as to only have 1 power lead leaving the box.
but this would be a very big very expensive project and risky but would be really cool to see done as i wouldnt mind having a single box that looked like a pc especially if pimped out with lights lol, but i cant afford to do that.

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline Jiggyfly

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSP->Revolution
    • My Myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 03:02:38 PM »
yeah....I gots a few ideas....Im gonna get started drawing this up, getting everything set up....see what I wanna do...I'll post pics when its done of course

PS...I really like the PC tower Idea...then I can cut out a window(or get a custom one) and get the name printed in the plexiglass so the lights make it awesome   WiiStation360

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 04:02:22 PM »
try a thermaltake armor, maybe 2 sat aide by side, as that's a big case, would be big enough for wii and 360, but the ps3 has a large mobo

Offline Jiggyfly

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSP->Revolution
    • My Myspace
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 04:24:32 PM »
well...Ive gathered the dimensions of all 3 systems...and placed them together(3ds max) let me show you a pic...

WiiStation360 Placement  sorry about the crappy writing...I did it sideways...LOL

those are all correct dimensions for each system...at least with the numders I came up with....with it situated this way my case will need to be about 14 inches tall x 14 inches deep x 10 inches wide(although this does not include space taken up by the HD/cd drive bracket stuff...but I did include a bit extra room for wiring and such

I measued my PC tower, and it is 16 tall x 17 deep x 7.5 wide  so it just needs to be wider, witch wont be hard to find, I just need to account for all the brackets at the front of the case before I buy one
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 02:47:32 PM by Jiggyfly »

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 04:27:58 PM »
it would probably be better to attach 2 identical cases together, Its not hard, and will provide more ventalation

Offline Jiggyfly

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSP->Revolution
    • My Myspace
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »
true...but I bet I could find a custom one online with enough room...I was just looking at a few with huge fans in them, but I have to check again to make sure of dimensions....maybe even a really small server tower I guess...if all else fails I'll just get 2 and attatch them like you suggested

something like this would be nice
Lian Li PC 626 Case
thats more than big enough...I need it to be at least 350x250x350 millimeters(HxWxD)

that one is 495x270x665 millimeters(HxWxD)

thats enought extra room for wiring/cooling and such

next week im getting my 360....then next paycheck im buying a case/supplies to get this started....once I have it working im gonna sell my extra wii, PS3 and 360, then I'll be super stoked with my WiiStation360^^^^

-EDIT- this case is better....its smaller, but still big enough to fit all 3 systems and allow enough space for everything else(wiring/extra fans) as well as extra air flow you can see it here: Xoxide X-Odyssey Case

more BIG plus to this case as opposed to the first one: its like $300 cheaper...LOL, and it already has LED's and clear windows in it^^

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 02:46:49 PM by Jiggyfly »

Offline Jiggyfly

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSP->Revolution
    • My Myspace
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 02:40:46 PM »
sorry for double post....my edit button dissappered...I think my PC is on its death bed
-EDIT-

heres a quick concept that I did in PS/Paint as well(dont know why I didnt do it all in photoshop, but oh well...LOL)

WiiStation360Conceptcopy
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 02:45:47 PM by Jiggyfly »

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 03:28:02 PM »
after a certain amount of time you cannot edit i think, anyway with the time gap its probably excused.

Offline pinoyballa

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 03:57:01 PM »
That would be cool, get a big 250 mm fan and mount it on the door of your case, You could also use those spare PCI slots for ventilation or something. Maybe cut them off and get an external liquid cooling system for the 360 since it has the biggest chance of failing on you.

Offline Jiggyfly

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSP->Revolution
    • My Myspace
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 05:34:03 PM »
Yeah, I know about the problems of the 360, thats why i didnt get one till now...LOL... Dunno if I wanna do an extrnal water cooling...but I do know that 70% of the fans in the case are gonna be aimed at the 360...LOL

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
are you going to put in a xcm console cable or whatever there called where you like plug it into all the consoles then plug the other end into your tv and switch between the consoles

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 09:04:35 AM »
No i imagine he will either have a switch box (SD) or Seperate Inputs (HD)

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 09:09:43 AM »
i just thought it would be easyier to use one of xcm's multi console cables as it allows for a single output that supports HD video and surround sound audio via componant cable

http://midwestgames.stores.yahoo.net/xcmmucocav2p.html

Offline Jiggyfly

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSP->Revolution
    • My Myspace
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 10:21:18 AM »
I was thinking Id use something like this: http://k-12.pisd.edu/mounted_tv/images/avboxFRONT.jpg, but not that exact one...but close...this way It would be easier to mount  those switches to the front of the case...that xcm cable had a small switch. although it could be mouted in the back...I dunno we'll see

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 10:29:34 AM »
you could open up xcm cable control box and rewire it with a longer switch modder style and mount it to the front

Offline Jiggyfly

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSP->Revolution
    • My Myspace
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 11:49:13 AM »
very true...I havent worked out ALL of the details yet...mostly I just know where/how each system has to be arranged to fit right in the case...and some other basic details...yeah, so anyways...once I actually get the case....2 weeks max...I'll work out how I want to swich between systems...also I need to figure out how the "PC" power supply can power extra fans/LEDs without an actual PC....LOLOL, I have been told it is possible, but I dont know how exactly

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 12:00:30 PM »
extra fans usually can just plug into one of the wires comeing from the PSU

Offline Jiggyfly

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSP->Revolution
    • My Myspace
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 12:21:10 PM »
yeah, I know that, what I mean is I dont know if they will actually do anything without the rest of the PC hardware....like theres no PC motherboard or anything, so I wasnt sure if just the PSU would turn any of the fans on

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 01:04:31 PM »

worst comes to worst just put a fan controller between the psu and fans, that way you could tweak it to each system

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 01:09:01 PM »
you may have to do short out a wire or two

Offline Jiggyfly

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • PSP->Revolution
    • My Myspace
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 01:25:55 PM »
yeah...I dont know....I guess I'll just wait till I get everything else that I needed....im getting my cousins 360, but I have to wait for him to come visit me....and next week im getting the case.....then I can start working out where I need to add brackets or whatever to get the systems to sit right, then I can get a power bar/surge protector so each system can get power....and the system switcher/xcm cable...and we'll go from there

Offline Thorax

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 09:51:02 AM »
Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft have already done something like this. Click the picture in my siginture for more details.

Offline Onii

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 02:26:35 PM »
yeah...I dont know....I guess I'll just wait till I get everything else that I needed....im getting my cousins 360, but I have to wait for him to come visit me....and next week im getting the case.....then I can start working out where I need to add brackets or whatever to get the systems to sit right, then I can get a power bar/surge protector so each system can get power....and the system switcher/xcm cable...and we'll go from there

Not sure if you're still doing this project, but was reading thru some of the stuff and figured I'd try and pitch in some help. http://wiki.extremeoverclocking.com/wiki/Power_Supply#Jump_starting_a_PSU
That'll tell ya how to start up the PSU without a mobo. You'll still need to find a way to load the 5v rail or you can damage the PSU with prolonged use tho. Good luck!

One more thing, you could make the power button on the case act as the PSU power button if you wired it all up. Finished product would look amazing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 02:31:53 PM by Onii »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal