Author Topic: Rapid Fire Method (No Chip)  (Read 371158 times)

Offline redryno1221

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Redrynotuts
Re: New Rapid Fire Method (No Chip)
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2008, 01:45:18 PM »
Holy s :censored: t after all the work with pic microcontrollers and 555 timer and all we really needed was a piece of wire and 2 switches? what the hell! Nice Find!

Offline IDontGetHowtoWire

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2008, 01:48:21 PM »
So I see that it says on the Forums homepage:
New Rapid Fire for all 360 controllers without Microchip!!!! This simple method only needs a wire and a button go ----->Here<----- This is so easy anyone can do it and you can get all the parts from your local radioshack!!!!

So it already works on all controllers?  That was fast.  :clap: :rofl:

-- Hope to see this available on new style soon.  

Offline ifrgtmyname

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2008, 02:10:18 PM »
It's attached to the led just fine, but i dunno I'll try it again just cuz

after resoldering mine about 10 times it started to work again!

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2008, 02:12:38 PM »
So I see that it says on the Forums homepage:
So it already works on all controllers?  That was fast.  :clap: :rofl:

-- Hope to see this available on new style soon.  
I see we have another person who just skims through...
No, it does not work on all controllers. As of now it's only on the old ones.

Offline Crazy Germans

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2008, 02:13:27 PM »
could it maybe have something to do with having to solder to the led vs. the pad.  Or you can't solder it to both or something.  Idk....  Anybody with some knowledge wanna shed some light on this?  Cuz I'm for sure not that person  :help:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:15:16 PM by Crazy Germans »

Offline Bullet Pulse

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2008, 02:19:38 PM »
I dont think I will be even trying this until we have some better results.
I dont feel like breaking my only controller  :dntknw:

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2008, 02:23:20 PM »
You won't break the controller...you can't mess it up in ANY way...

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2008, 02:24:07 PM »
it only works on the old ones?
how do i no if my controller is a old one?
i just bough it like a month ago so i guess it a new one ehh?

Offline IDontGetHowtoWire

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2008, 02:25:10 PM »
I see we have another person who just skims through...
No, it does not work on all controllers. As of now it's only on the old ones.

"So it already works on all controllers?  That was fast. " Is sarcasim for those who don't know. :winker:
I know that, thats why I said I hope to see it on the new ones SOON. Not now. : ) :taunt:
& I haven't skimmed through this topic, I have watched it since 3:30 EST. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:26:53 PM by IDontGetHowtoWire »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2008, 02:27:20 PM »
Just to clear up some things..

1. The picture of the controller in the OP is the newer CG version, while the ones in the videos are the older Matrix one. The LEDs in the CG are Common Cathode and the Trigger lines go high to fire, so every single reference to voltage/ground is bass ackwards with respect to that picture and is probably causing some confusion, it made me read everything twice. In reference to the Matrix controller it's correct though, but someone should change that pic. ;)

2. This is also limited by the game, as if the pulses are too fast the controller/game will only see the line as being held low all the time and not each individual pulse, so it will act like the Trigger was pulled and held, and all you'll get is one shot when pressing the button.

3. Not to take anything from the ingenuity of the mod but, compared to using a simple 555 timer circuit where ya can fine tune the speed ya need, not to mention being able to use any of the 4 player slots without having to move the wire. Also soldering to an SMT part for a beginner isn't a very easy thing be doing to their controller and could possibly damage the pad/trace/LED in the process.

4. 'In theory' it will not work to make any other buttons Rapid Fire. The ones on the CG controller ground to fire while the LED setup is + driven, and on the older version Matrix boards the Matrix setup screws that all up and on the CL version those buttons go high to fire while the LED setup is - driven.

5. This does not work on the newer Wireless CG version of board or on the newer Wired CL version board. I don't have a Matrix version Wired controller here to test, but I'd guess it also does not work on it either.

If anyone is curious what the REAL problem here is with it not working, it's the battery voltage. I tried it, it didn't work, but clearly it does from the videos, so while everyone was bickering about it working or not working I went and found out what the issue was since clearly it both does and does not work as sited from more than once source, and since no one seemed interested in why or trying too duplicate the others controller issue I was curious and did. ;)

With a PSU (3v) or AA pack (3.0v) the thing didn't work at all, but it DID work just fine with a PnC pack (2.6v). So while yes this does in fact work, it also does in fact not work.

Can anyone else that has this working, as well as not, get a voltage reading from the power source they're using? As well as I'd like to see someone else try it with a 3v regulated PSU, new and half charge AA batteries and PnC pack to double, double check this or see what results come from it? I'm fairly sure the results will be the same, just like to see it duplicated by someone else as I can duplicate it both working and not working on the same controller by just changing the battery pack.

It's just way too sporadic to be considered reliable IMHO. Good job on discovering it and all, but for the people that want a good solid Rapid Fire setup, with the option to fine tune the speed from game to game to get the most from the weapon they're using and use it on whatever controller thy happen to have, then they should look into building themselves a nice 555 timer circuit to do the job. Spend the money on a kit if ya like, it's your money, but making it yourself isn't that difficult and is much more rewarding, plus ya get to learn some about electronics along the way, and yes any of these type of mods can be made to use the Trigger for the button with just a SPDT or DPDT switch and cutting a trace.

The silver 'shield' on the RF module is just missing on later runs of the Matrix controllers, it's also missing from the RF boards in the 360 on newer ones, they're still the exact same controller/RF board, just missing that shield is all.

Many thanks for giving credit to where the controller version pics came from Nemesis and XE. ;)
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Bandit5317

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2008, 02:32:45 PM »
According to RDC over in the Xbox-Scene forums, this mod will ONLY work on old matrix style wireless controllers and it will only work if the controller is getting an input voltage of 2.6v. In other words, this will work with a rechargeable PnC pack while it's not charging, but it won't work with the standard 2 AA battery pack (which is running at 3.0v other than when the batteries are almost dead). Here's a link to the page with his post:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=657083&st=15

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2008, 02:41:07 PM »
He JUST said that...

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2008, 02:42:50 PM »
He JUST said that...
xD, i was just going to say that

i think i will try the 555 timer version because its not going to work on my board, this is a good and easy method tho

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2008, 02:49:11 PM »
It seems too complicated now for this one. I don't have the recharge pack either. I'll just walk over to RS and get a 555 timer and stuff XD

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2008, 02:53:18 PM »
According to RDC over in the Xbox-Scene forums, this mod will ONLY work on old matrix style wireless controllers and it will only work if the controller is getting an input voltage of 2.6v. In other words, this will work with a rechargeable PnC pack while it's not charging, but it won't work with the standard 2 AA battery pack (which is running at 3.0v other than when the batteries are almost dead). Here's a link to the page with his post:
It will work with a AA pack, ya can see that in the third video, but it's the battery voltage that makes the real difference.

3.0v~3.2v - It will not work. Fresh AA batteries.

2.5v~2.6v It will work. Rechargeable AA batteries or ones that are run down a little.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Bullet Pulse

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2008, 03:00:10 PM »
If I have the old matrix wireless controller, is it safe to do this mod, or is there a good chance of breaking the controller?
any reason why i shouldn't do the mod?

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2008, 03:09:03 PM »
the worst you can do to your controller is fry the led. which isnt that bad, you can easily replace it, if your not ok with that risk try something a lil easier dude. but in all seriousnes unless you have turrets [the twtichy thingy] i doubt youll fry anything

p.s. no harm meant to those with turrets...
It's been a long time

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2008, 03:14:21 PM »
If I have the old matrix wireless controller, is it safe to do this mod, or is there a good chance of breaking the controller?
any reason why i shouldn't do the mod?
I personally wouldn't recommend it, but if you're going to use the PnC battery pack and like the speed it fires it's safe to do and isn't going to hurt anything so long as ya do it right. ;) The worst ya can do is rip up the pad/trace for the LED and have to fix it so it works again, but it wouldn't kill the controller in any way.

Offline Xboxexpert

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Definition of Genius
    • Xboxexpert™
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2008, 03:18:19 PM »
Just to clear up some things..

1. The picture of the controller in the OP is the newer CG version, while the ones in the videos are the older Matrix one. The LEDs in the CG are Common Cathode and the Trigger lines go high to fire, so every single reference to voltage/ground is bass ackwards with respect to that picture and is probably causing some confusion, it made me read everything twice. In reference to the Matrix controller it's correct though, but someone should change that pic. ;)

2. This is also limited by the game, as if the pulses are too fast the controller/game will only see the line as being held low all the time and not each individual pulse, so it will act like the Trigger was pulled and held, and all you'll get is one shot when pressing the button.

3. Not to take anything from the ingenuity of the mod but, compared to using a simple 555 timer circuit where ya can fine tune the speed ya need, not to mention being able to use any of the 4 player slots without having to move the wire. Also soldering to an SMT part for a beginner isn't a very easy thing be doing to their controller and could possibly damage the pad/trace/LED in the process.

4. 'In theory' it will not work to make any other buttons Rapid Fire. The ones on the CG controller ground to fire while the LED setup is + driven, and on the older version Matrix boards the Matrix setup screws that all up and on the CL version those buttons go high to fire while the LED setup is - driven.

5. This does not work on the newer Wireless CG version of board or on the newer Wired CL version board. I don't have a Matrix version Wired controller here to test, but I'd guess it also does not work on it either.

If anyone is curious what the REAL problem here is with it not working, it's the battery voltage. I tried it, it didn't work, but clearly it does from the videos, so while everyone was bickering about it working or not working I went and found out what the issue was since clearly it both does and does not work as sited from more than once source, and since no one seemed interested in why or trying too duplicate the others controller issue I was curious and did. ;)

With a PSU (3v) or AA pack (3.0v) the thing didn't work at all, but it DID work just fine with a PnC pack (2.6v). So while yes this does in fact work, it also does in fact not work.

Can anyone else that has this working, as well as not, get a voltage reading from the power source they're using? As well as I'd like to see someone else try it with a 3v regulated PSU, new and half charge AA batteries and PnC pack to double, double check this or see what results come from it? I'm fairly sure the results will be the same, just like to see it duplicated by someone else as I can duplicate it both working and not working on the same controller by just changing the battery pack.

It's just way too sporadic to be considered reliable IMHO. Good job on discovering it and all, but for the people that want a good solid Rapid Fire setup, with the option to fine tune the speed from game to game to get the most from the weapon they're using and use it on whatever controller thy happen to have, then they should look into building themselves a nice 555 timer circuit to do the job. Spend the money on a kit if ya like, it's your money, but making it yourself isn't that difficult and is much more rewarding, plus ya get to learn some about electronics along the way, and yes any of these type of mods can be made to use the Trigger for the button with just a SPDT or DPDT switch and cutting a trace.

The silver 'shield' on the RF module is just missing on later runs of the Matrix controllers, it's also missing from the RF boards in the 360 on newer ones, they're still the exact same controller/RF board, just missing that shield is all.

Many thanks for giving credit to where the controller version pics came from Nemesis and XE. ;)

So in theory if you don't have a fully charged batt pushing out the voltage you specified then it will either work or act spratic....Wow I'd hate to be in a game of COD4 owning people and my batt voltage go low and i end up getting owned.  Thanks for clearing that up though and yea no problem in referencing the community to your post since I jacked your pics ;)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 03:21:46 PM by Xboxexpert »
Check out my Internal Water-cooled Xbox 360 over at my forums.

Offline SYSTEM aka (Cyberpyrot)

• Site Founder
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2008, 03:18:49 PM »
I personally wouldn't recommend it, but if you're going to use the PnC battery pack and like the speed it fires it's safe to do and isn't going to hurt anything so long as ya do it right. ;) The worst ya can do is rip up the pad/trace for the LED and have to fix it so it works again, but it wouldn't kill the controller in any way.

Like RDC says it does have its drawbacks and we are looking for a better solution but our goal was to make it simple for everyone to do... Also there are just as many people having trouble doing the 55 timer method..

Offline Xboxexpert

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Definition of Genius
    • Xboxexpert™
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »
Like RDC says it does have its drawbacks and we are looking for a better solution but our goal was to make it simple for everyone to do... Also there are just as many people having trouble doing the 55 timer method..

Good luck then...sorry for the confusion  :cool:  Interesting find... :clap:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 03:34:33 PM by Xboxexpert »
Check out my Internal Water-cooled Xbox 360 over at my forums.

Offline Bullet Pulse

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2008, 03:42:32 PM »
Ok, I have the matrix controller for sure.

So, the positive side of the switch (wire) solders to the middle spot on the right?

And the negative side of the switch (wire) solders directly onto the top left LED?

And both these solder to the top of the board?

THANKS!  :yess:

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »
There's no 'positive' or 'negative' on a switch...just wire 1 side of the switch to the left side of the player 1 led and the other side of the switch to the middle pin on the R trigger pins.

• Site Founder
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2008, 03:46:16 PM »
whoa we found a better method pics comming soon...

Offline Bullet Pulse

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2008, 03:49:11 PM »
Ok, great 
sweet i'll be one of the first to try the new method  :laughing:

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »
new method already. good lord almighty xD
how many guys u got in that r&d lab ahahah

Offline bluedog

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • New
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2008, 04:05:01 PM »
Are you posting it here or on the first page?

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2008, 04:05:18 PM »
new method already. good lord almighty xD
how many guys u got in that r&d lab ahahah
Cyber's a God, remember? Mike (I don't know which XD) said that Cyber was working on this now too to make it work

Offline Bullet Pulse

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »
Is there anything different that you need for the new method?
(I still have time to get a switch before radioshack closes)

• Site Founder
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2008, 04:26:54 PM »
nope

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal