Author Topic: Macbook pro help (hdd icon and install app)  (Read 2006 times)

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
Macbook pro help (hdd icon and install app)
« on: April 08, 2008, 07:46:09 PM »
well i got a mac two days ago everything was good then it gave the grey screen of death. so restarted and my desktop didnt show my hdd.
then i had to go to the doc and click doc folder and the hdd wasn't show up. then i went finder\services\finder\reveal and it was showing up next to the .mac icon but now it doesn't show up their either. how do i unhide it or get it back. i cant get to my apps folder or any o that with out  going through a long process.

and one more i cant install adobe cs3 on the desktop. i click startup.app and it bounces on the dock then stops but nothing happens. how do i install photoshop.

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
Re: Macbook pro help (hdd icon and install app)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 07:51:02 PM »
nice choice...not nice problem...
hmm.... i'd have to say either reistall leopard (if you time machine'd it, it shouldnt be so bad i think, and a reisntall disk came with it)

or take it to an apple store, see what they can do/ and or have to say about it

good luck

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:20:19 PM »
thanks but i never got to setting up time machine. and i didn't get the leopard disc with my computer they lost it at best buy. i have t order it or find a bootleg just for back ups.

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 11:47:46 PM »
take it to an apple store, and never accept a Mac without the installation files.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 01:35:19 AM »
ya i should of thought of that. but i bought it from best buy it was the floor model. they had none in stock so they sold me the floor model. i went to the mac store Monday to get the "j" key fixed and this hadent happened yet. i didn't buy the warenty thing they wanted me to buy didn't have enough
money.

the guy who sold it to me said their was no install cd or manuals they lost them. so ive tried to find a iso of leopard.

He installed leopard with his own disc and then installed iworks ,ilife.

so i have been looking for a iso of leopard to reinstall and have for repairing. or i have to call mac and hope they will send me a new cd just have to pay shipping.if they give me the cd.
i had to find a torrent of the bootcamp v2 to get my vista partion working. because i didn't have the cd.

hey how do i get the activation key from the leopard installed on my laptop. i am a noob to macs older then os9.
i am stuck at windows.

but having the hdd hidden is really getting annoying. i had to get the finder to locate it for a second and make a copy on the desktop but i cant get it on the side bar in the explorer next to .mac were t should be.

why is the way to fixing a mac just reinstall it. i will losse ilife, iworks ,windows office,and  cross over.

isn't their another way.

and how do you use the timemachine. do i portion how much of my hdd for it.

the only thing i figured out is how to network on a windows network and the boot camp other then that i cant do any thing els
how do i take a screen shot to explain.

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 03:24:39 AM »
well first you can do an archive and install using the disk if oyu had one and that does a fresh install then copys all of your programs and documents back over so you dont lose anything
go to an apple store and explain what happened when you bought it and they might be able to sort that aspect out.
as for the licence key there isnt one apple dont use one they rely on trust and plus mac os x can only really be installed straight off on official apple hardware so even if you didnt buy the os they got oyur money for the hardware

now for showing your HDD in your desktop and sidebar

go into a finder window and click on the finder menu in the top left corner of the screen next to the apple logo and hit prefrences
under the general make sure you have it so that it is set to show hard disks on the deskop  and under the side bar tab make sure that under devices you have hard disks ticked and that should show it up.

now for time machine you need an external HDD that is equal to or bigger than your current hard disk drive that your os is installed on and then whenever it is plugged into that hard drive it will back up all your work but i recomend you if you can get apples timecapsule as thats what i have and its great as im currently sat in bed on my laptop and its wirelessly backing up all my data - how kwl is that

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 12:18:07 PM »
okay i checked the finder and i had already been their and checked them all to show up. but now i am really confused is it the home or the hdd. because when you click on it these files show up.

applications
controlpanelDB
library
system
users

oh man i fell like a hug noob. i haven't used a mac in years and wen i did it was completely dif.

lol wen i tried to network my mac on my windows network i set all the settings right and the mac ppl said it should work. but they couldn't help and i figured out how to do it.

so i think i have fiddled around with all the settings and have all the stuff right. so i will have to call apple ppl to tried to get a cd to do the archive the install.

wow i got adobe installed yea. i tired to install it by grabbing and using it off my home computer but the internet wasn't fast enough to do that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal