Author Topic: Dead iPod to Computer... Possible?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Recognition101

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Dead iPod to Computer... Possible?
« on: April 17, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »
Hey guys, I have quite an odd question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere. So, here's my story. A friend of mine gave me his broken iPod for free, and I tried to fix it. It was an easy fix, I just went in and reconnected the battery. However, I then tried to change it from Mac format to Windows format, and mid format, the iPod froze, and I had to unplug it, effectively leaving the iPod dead with a corrupt hard drive. So, not wanting to get nothing from a free iPod, I found a ZIF to USB converter that turned the internal hdd into a portable USB hdd (after Windows formated it). A $20 60GB HDD is nice, but now I have a useless iPod Shell. More importantly, a useless screen and click wheel.

I was wondering if you knew of/could mod up/could teach me how to mod up any solution to my problem – that is, could you figure out a way to adapt the click wheel/screen to USB output/input respectively? If I could wire the data-in USB wire to the wheel and the data-out USB wire to the screen, I could write a driver to deliver images to the screen and get input from the wheel to control my media player on my computer/show what song’s playing on the iPod screen (that’s just one thing I’d have in mind for it, of course).

The screen and wheel would have to be powered, of course, but if the +5V provided by USB is enough to charge the battery and run the iPod (when it’s plugged in), I’m sure it’s enough to run those two components. Of course, I have no idea where the leads are or how to power the components.

I have some experience with iPod hardware modding, but this is way beyond anything I’ve done. I’m a more of a software guy, so hardware isn’t exactly my strong point, but I can handle coding drivers.

I was looking around, and thought I might be able to convert the devices with components like this (link) or like this (link), but I don't really have much of an idea beyond that.

Thanks in advance!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal