Author Topic: What can I do with a Xbox with a broken dvd drive?  (Read 2751 times)

Offline dfsa415

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
What can I do with a Xbox with a broken dvd drive?
« on: April 07, 2008, 11:19:49 PM »
Well, i got a used xbox a few months ago, from gamestop, never played it untill recently, and the dvd drive died. My friend decided to take it apart, and completely destroyed the drive mobo somehow. It was a Thompson drive and i didnt really care anyway. Well, i got a DuoX 2 ModChip recently to see if i could load linux on it or something to get away from the Repair screen.  But im not sure how to load a different flash bios on this chip or anything, so now i am stuck and dont know what to do. I dont feel like getting a new drive.

thanks in advance.

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
Re: What can I do with a Xbox with a broken dvd drive?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 01:40:45 AM »
for one dont say modchips here please.

on some chips you have a bios switch if not look around for your chip and look about the bios your post will take time to get answered cos not many people use xbox 1 much and your drive you can pick them up on ebay cheap
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline dfsa415

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 05:38:30 PM »
Srry about talking about chips, xbox fourms are slow now.  So ive been asking around a few fourms, n havent read the fourm rules here yet.  However i wanted to load xbox media center os on it and dont care about the dvd drive.  Also dvd drives on ebay cost alot for new, used are cheap but not sure how reliable.  Xbox are only like $60 refurbished on gamestop now.
But i decided to remove the chip so i desoldered it, except for the pins which was preinstalled by previous owners.  But now it turns on and turns off, turns on, off, on and it flashes yellow and green and stays there, no video no nothing.  Im sure i didnt do anything stupid when i remove the chip, ive dont soldering for a long time.

Anyway thx for replying, not alot of people reply on xbox fourms.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 05:54:14 PM by dfsa415 »

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:21:22 PM »
if you left the pins in that mite be the problem and your xbox mite need the chip once you put a chip in the xbox you flash the bios so you cannot use it with out chip now
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 09:56:39 AM »
unlock the hdd by the hotswap method if u dont actually have access tot he xbox (it wont boot up) or go into the evox or unleashx menu and select unlock hdd,then u can plug the hdd in2 ur pc and install xbmc with xboxhdm
Derp.

Offline Dun_it_right

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • The greatest lovers were murderers first.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 04:18:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure the green and orange flashing means that something is wrong with the A/V. Check the cables and all the cables inside and make sure they are secured right.

Also if you plan on using it without a DVD drive you need a chip so it should have been left in.

I would go to xboxscene.com for this kinda stuff. Some guys here really know what they are doing but one, no chip discussion is allowed and two, we mostly discus case mods and lets say,... hardware mods more than anything.

EDIT:
 :drunk: My 100th post!! :drunk:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:22:14 PM by Dun_it_right »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal