Author Topic: PSP Slim Invisible Camera ideas and TUT request  (Read 3835 times)

Offline yngmike

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
PSP Slim Invisible Camera ideas and TUT request
« on: May 04, 2008, 09:01:08 AM »
Updated   

I am a new PSP owner, and I am really interested in modding my PSP. I am an electronics technician so I feel very confident that I could do many of these mods.

I really have googled around and searched the forum for info but I have been unable to find any info.

Does anyone have a walkthrough or general info on installing the chotto cam into a psp slim (not in the UMD door)  Please see the video by timurmurmur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtXybp7PtE4

Even though the vid is of PSP Fat (thanks for comments) It really looks like there is enough room next to the MS duo pro reader ( I have a DAX bundled silver 2001 )

My other idea would involve flipping and modding the extended battery door that would normally go on left side of the case. Most likely use an extacto knife to cut along the seams which are a nice guidline since they match the battery door dimensions. I would use laptop screws as a replacement to the OEM screws, since they are not recessed.

I'm thinking it might be neat to design a sticky ribbon cable that would ajoin to the bottom of the USB port so there wouldnt be any soldering needed on the PCB(similar to how some of the connections in the PSP are made).

Does anyone know if the USB port would still be usable while the Chotto cam is connected via USB? 
I checked the USB-OTG whitepapers and it looks like that in order for the device to be picked up as a host device it needs to have a 15 Ohm pull down on D+ and D- (dang now I gotta buy micro resistors too)

Anyway I'm going to need to think of a sweet way to disconnect 3 maybe 7 connections at once.
I'm thinking maybe pulling a big dipswitch array off an older motherboard thats the smallest switch I can think of that will even come close.

Thanks in advance.

Updates!

I did a little more research on the Micro USB Standard and came up with some great info. Below is the final 2.0 spec for USB type B recepticals for PCB mounting. If you take note of the tolerances.
Theoritcally I should be able to order a custom 8, 9 or 10 pin FFC (ribbon)cable with .14mm pin spacing .4 width contacts and tape or hot glue it to the pcb board.  (pins 9+10 I will call GKSWITCH
Thanks GameKing for the insight on extra switch opertunities)

Pin count explanation: 5 pins for USB pins + 2 for (on the go Vbus Power(gold pins on top)) 1 for possible USB Shield return and 2 resereved for allowing a switch at one end or the other.

In order to shut the camera off so that the USB port can be used I propose using a double pole double throw micro switch or dip switch and connect it via kynar wire at the camera end.

I'm wondering though if that is enough, because I look at the pics of the Go!Cam / Chotto and I see it utilizing the two shiny gold pins on either side of he usb port. I believe they are additional power connectors to power the vbus for the cam to act in host mode.

I have read that theoritcally they could be connected to the other devices VBUS (standard USB 2.0) to provide the power for it and the device driver probably isn't looking for any particular device ID since Sony makes the only one.

In that case any bus powered device could be utilized, like external HD flash drive etc... I just don't want to smoke the USB port on my PSP..  I have seen somone wireup an intermediate device that acts as the host and forwards the data to an external HD. But having to plug into the wall and have a device bigger than the PSP kinda defeats the purpose.

Ideally two things need to happen. A special  external cable needs to be made to dump data to an external HD.
An internal ribbon cable needs to be made that can sneak out the MS door and attach to the smallest form factor HD you can find or a 32GB flash drive. Cool Idea? huh? I just need to get a Proof of Concept going. I just need the money to buy the equipment (NOT ASKING FOR MONEY!)

The mass storage driver exists from IRSHELL. I believe it's just a USB wiring problem at this point.

Updated 5-9-08,  After doing about 5 hours of research the mass storage idea has been put on hold. It's going to require some sponsors with access to a USB-OTG development kit. They are roughly $1200-$1500 as well as the use of a low level programmer who can write a USB mass storage driver in C or Fox Pro. A programmer that can write the firmware and flash a USB-OTG controller chip will also be needed. Some USB OTG Controller chips have a OTG USB port and a USB 2.0 Port if they could be bridged that would be BINGO.

If you have any relevant info please post back or correct any assumptions I have made.

THANKS!!!!

UPDATED 05-08-08

Just so you guys know. I have still been working on things. Mostly in my head.

I have had a few Ideas. I believe there is enough room under the extended battery door for the go!cam / chotto cam with the standard size battery. I know this would be kind of a bummer for battery life but it wouldn't require any physical modding  of the the original case, and I think that is a must for anyone who is just starting out or is afraid to solder.

I will try to post a visual representation of the way the cable will look and the path it will take.

I am really on a financial hold right now waiting for rebate checks since Turbotax botched the direct deposit thing. I have to wait for paper checks in July. I will then get a chotto and start doing some sizing and final wiring diagrams.

Can somebody please post SUPER high rez pics of any circuitry in the disassembled chotto. It would really expedite my research and developement.

I am currently working with a company called All Flex who makes FFC (flexible ribbon) cables.
I just need to design it and have them proto type one for me. 

If this all goes well I can have them mass produced and all you have to do is solder the camera wires to the ribbon cable and hot glue it to the PSP internals. I'm still not sure what i'm going to do about the switch but I need to find out some more definites on the USB-OTG (on the go) standard.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 05:45:33 PM by yngmike »
w3rd

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: PSP Slim Invisible Camera TUT request
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 03:43:48 PM »
that is def a phat psp

Offline JoblessPunk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: PSP Slim Invisible Camera ideas and TUT request
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 01:56:55 AM »
thank you for the info!
I hope it works kuz I want to do the same to my slim  :yess:

Offline dark ace

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • PSPISO
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 06:54:20 PM »
Yeah, if your ideas work, make a tut for it as im interested in this also. thanx DA

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:38:59 PM »
well bro my idea i am working on is putting two cams in the psp. one for pics and the other skype this is great tell me if you get the switch working i need a three way one for total shut off the a cam or b cam. keep going

Offline JoblessPunk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »
I'd be down to buy 2 of the "kits" you are planing on making from you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal