Author Topic: HELP! My analog contacts  (Read 1958 times)

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
HELP! My analog contacts
« on: April 27, 2008, 12:22:15 AM »
Ok i have this psp... its evil, when ever i fix somthing somthing else goes wrong, never had a psp like this one. Anyway cut to the chase, i was soldering to the analog contacts on the mother board when the bottom on just fell off!!! noooooo :cry2: . i was like almost finsished that psp, any ideas how to put the gold contact back on? Please help me on my quest to defeat the evil psp :tup:
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline tanoz

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: HELP! My analog contacts
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 01:42:50 AM »
there is a tutorial somewhere for that.
i THINK you just basicallly desolder all the contacts, then apply the exact same amout of solder to each square making sure they are all even. look for the tut first tho.
Lots of gaming stuff but too lazy to mention =]

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 02:24:27 AM »
there is a tutorial somewhere for that.
i THINK you just basicallly desolder all the contacts, then apply the exact same amout of solder to each square making sure they are all even. look for the tut first tho.

yea thx man i may just flag the whole desoldering the lot and just resolder this one because i have my analog soldered with wires anyway so i dont think it has to be aligned. Thx any more help is still apreciated :tup:

Offline Nemesis

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 03:38:04 AM »
if you havent desoldered them then dont, its kinda pointless and just causes more work for you, i desoldered all of them and wish i hadnt

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 02:00:44 PM »
if you havent desoldered them then dont, its kinda pointless and just causes more work for you, i desoldered all of them and wish i hadnt

if anyone can link me to the tut it would be great do i solder to the two little tabs underneath because i cannot get solder to run on them :tup:

Offline Blizzrad

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 02:52:38 PM »
The same thing happened to me once :rofl:, not to worry though, the contact pad is easy to get back in place.

It doesn't take much solder to hold down the pads, so reflowing what is already there should be enough. You will need to apply flux to the underside of the contact pad and then pin it in place by holding it down with tweezers or the tip of an exacto knife. Then briefly heat the top of the pad with the iron to flow the solder underneath, and continue to keep the pad pinned in place as you pull the iron away. After a few seconds the solder will harden, and you can release the pressure, leaving your contact pad secured.

Also, make sure to clean any excess solder from your iron tip before you do this, otherwise it might leave a blob of solder on the top of the pad, which will disrupt its contact with the analog nub.       

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 06:32:15 PM »
The same thing happened to me once :rofl:, not to worry though, the contact pad is easy to get back in place.

It doesn't take much solder to hold down the pads, so reflowing what is already there should be enough. You will need to apply flux to the underside of the contact pad and then pin it in place by holding it down with tweezers or the tip of an exacto knife. Then briefly heat the top of the pad with the iron to flow the solder underneath, and continue to keep the pad pinned in place as you pull the iron away. After a few seconds the solder will harden, and you can release the pressure, leaving your contact pad secured.

Also, make sure to clean any excess solder from your iron tip before you do this, otherwise it might leave a blob of solder on the top of the pad, which will disrupt its contact with the analog nub.      

yer thanks man i will try get it on when i get a new flux pen. Doesn't matter if i get solder on though cas im soldering to the cotacts anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal