Author Topic: New DS modding goals :D  (Read 2787 times)

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
New DS modding goals :D
« on: April 28, 2008, 05:41:41 PM »
Well I usually make a list of goals I want to set when modding  me DS :D. Of course half of those ideas go down the toilet while a quater of the other half are full of fail, the last quarter are a sucess (of course it depends how you define sucess XD). Anyway, I hope to achieve a set of goals on the modding of my DS. The mods I call are mostly ideas I've thought while:
A) In the john
B) Eating food and watching D-gray man (dunno why I mentioned the anime name XD)
C) In the schools' john.

.....In anycase, I will mention a few here, and if you can, please mention to me the ones that have been previously done unless stated otherwise. Oh and of course I hope to get this stickied only to show any beginners some new ideas they would like to try out or even improve :D.

- Reed Switch in the DS *DONE*
(Allows your DS to be turned on with a simple magnet and an even simpler swipe of the hand) [TimmyDx pulled this one off first, I think]
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=17899.0

- Push Button in the stlus slot
(With a small button switch in the stylus slot, and a few modifications to the slot itself, your stylus can be the one thing to turn your DS on. Of course what you do is set it so that a regular stylus can turn it on, then with an extra stylus that has had it's tip cut off, you can insert it into the slot without disturbing the switch)
(I call dibs on the creation of this since I have not seen this ANYWHERE else.)

-Case engraving
(Simply, just making an engraving on the top case, and mabey the bottom one)[Everyone has done this, I mean just look at the psp jewels, a beatiful work of art :D]

-DS DN (DS Dual Nub :D)
(Hey, if a psp can have dual nubs, why can't the DS? Of course this invovles the use of the Razor 2 or X boards, that or you can make your own with the right materials...)
[From what I remember, Rocky pulled this off nicely, and with a lite o.0, of course since I have a phat, it will be much easier]

-Multiple misc. GBA carts
(With this, I will either have to remove the GBA function from the DS, or try to go around it, to use different GBA carts that just have basic components inside. For example, one will have multiple small speakers with the lm386 type chip to allow more sound to pass through them and make the DS a freakin sterio. Another GBA cart will carry a small fan that will let me cool my hands off :D. I will cut a part of the back case to allow most of the GBA cart to show w/o it falling off the cartridge holder. Unless Timmy shows what he was planning to do with his DS and his internal GBA cart, then I'll probably be the first to pull some type of DS mod using the GBA carts :P (I'm j/k Timmy, and I'm still waiting on that mod of yours :P)

-D pad/ ABXY button switch *NEW*
(If this mod was done, then this would probably help all left handers all there (not that I'm not one of them,but there are some things I can do better with my left hand ;). Anyway, I wanted to find a way to switch the actual controls so that the d-pad would be in place of the ABXY buttons and vice versa. I was thinking of some rewiring, but thinking deeper into this has made me think that I would have to invovle programming, and if it comes to that, then I won't be able to do much there. In any case, I'd set a switch and everything that would say L < -> R.)

Well for now that's it. I also want to paint it, but of course I rather just say it w/o describing it. I will start making my modding into a bigger hobby since I finished my community services hours from that lame arse Advocate program, so hopefully I can start updating this baby alot and making some tuts :).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:44:01 PM by seikene »
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline Aricado

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Hiding under your bed devouring your dreams..
Re: New DS modding goals :D
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 06:25:17 PM »
Fat DS FTW!!!
The cooling fan mod sounds fancy :D
I wanna see this one!

Aricado: Kenshinffx made my sig.
"I made your Avatar too!"
Aricado: Get outta my head!!!!

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 02:03:56 AM »
*sigh* the slot two thing was an ultra massive pcb that incorperated, additonal ram, rumble, gba expansion pack in one + a vu meter.....

UNFORTUNATELY.....Guitar hero ds is nearly done, there is no way im not playing that D:

rocky did it in a lite but it was a single nub, with a pcb he made with a sharpie i believe....

i did have dual nub nearly completed last year some time...but unfortunately...well look at my nice picture here and the think "spraypaint" then think "underlaying layer incorrectly done" then think "waterbed effect"

but im always happy to share so basically what i did was i cut a hole in the ds lite shell big enough for the psp nub topshell to fit in, then glued and spraypainted around it, so....evidently...it looked flush...bet no one could tell before reading this sentence thats what was done :P so basically all you had to do was assemble the psp nub on the shell. You could probably easilly fit an a2d nub in the phat to save yourself the razors famous spring hassle

If you have trouble fitting it in, then try what i did, i extended the chunky components along wire to create room where it was neeeded

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »
OH wow mate, that's a freakin nifty idea there, mate :D. Well I'd have to see what components are in the phat mobo that might get in the way. Is there any different between the A2d board and the razor in terms of making it? I mean if there isn't, then I'd perfer to make that, it looks cooler and of course I'd like to prevent any annoying side-steps like the spring calibration. Yeah I remember that Rocky pulled it with one, but meh it's still something heh, and I completely forgot about the case with the holes that you made lol. Hehe I knew that project you had invovled a few of those features, but how about a blank GBA pcb that you can use to program, eh? Anyway, I hope you finish both projects in complete sucess. I'll try to get most of these mods done, but getting a job here in the US has been a burden.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 06:11:50 PM »

If you have trouble fitting it in, then try what i did, i extended the chunky components along wire to create room where it was neeeded

Wow, I didn't know you can do that. that really saves me some time

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 06:36:59 AM »
the a2d is a lot simpler, but the finished product is thicker....

with the a2d, all you have to do is solder wires to the holes corresponding to each direction on the A2D PCB, then remove the sony pcb from the sony nub....and stick the a2d in its place...

its that easy :P

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 12:47:13 PM »
UPDATE- Added a new goal. (D-pad/ABXY Switch)
Currently looking on- Misc GBA carts.

Would there by any way to make it thinner? and mainly, is the production of it the same? I mean if it isn't too hard, then I'll be willing to make them for myself and even start making them to sell out, but mainly for the sake of this topic, I want to make them and pull off the dual nub on the DS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal