Author Topic: PSP internal HDD mod with 80GB 1.8" ipod harddrive (or any other usb drive)  (Read 163398 times)

Offline wiktoras

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
WinCE
« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2008, 04:40:24 AM »
I also found some interesting news.
Looks like board supports WinCE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_CE

http://www.codeplex.com/GumstixIII
There is also some driver support and Samsung LCD (480X272 16bit color), nearly the same as we use.

I am in this project.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
well wince doesn't seam as appealing as linux as far as customization. linux rings a bell in my mind as make your own operating system how you want.  cool find but i rather stick to linux.

Well then with dual screens and because the xm4 is linux you could run a mini web server and do all your code in html and each person could design their own wild screens.

MMMM, You can go as small or as wild as you want. You could do things like play a movie and be on the internet at the same time.. Muti - tasking with multi computers.

Remember what I said, where do yo want to go today ?

You asked for it so i gave it that is what i really want to accomplish with the board. i just need to learn the programming part of the idea. lol

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
The support for programming is immense on linux, the support groups are fantastic.

What works in one linux most of the time works in another. There are thousands of packages available for one version of linux or another. Porting is much easier that writing an application from scratch.

Many times I have taken an app that almost does what I want and just tweak it to what I want.

There already is a touch screen driver for linux you know.

VoX

Get some of them and just experiment, the possibility's are endless. Linux is always the way to go in homebrew, and it suits this mod excellently

Offline pax

• CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Sig and Avatar by INDYCHASE
    • GAMING LAGOON - Join now for free prizes
for those who didnt want to lose the umd drive you could just leave the xm4 board external just plug it in via usb and plug the hard drive or ipod into the usb ports on the xm4. maybe make a small casing for the board

Guppy > Chief Squatting Hard > 1/2 Pint > Fart Sniffer > Tone Deff > Motor Mouth > Allumnist > King of the Wii-tards > Who Farted > Poker Champ > Chaos Lover > Bomb Maker > CyberPyrot Wannabe

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
If you check out gumstix site they already have a case that is the size of a pack of gum !

I have done a lot of development in Windows CE. The problem with that is no one is willing to help another without paying major cash.

It costs $1,000 to call Microsoft !

I'm not saying you can't just that its not form me.

If you want I have a $3,000 peice of saftware for developing software for the CE system. Do you want to buy it ?

The compiler for linux is free, the os is free, the support is free.

The majority of people developing programs for the PSP are working in linux not windows.

Sup to you.

We will get the base running and then people can run in different directions to their hearts desire. We will put all the documentation in one place. The you wont have to reinvent the wheel when you want to do something new.
You can build on what someone else has already done.

No that is the great part of this system, you do not have to put it in your PSP. Hell you can put it in a mini case and put a peice of velco to the back of the PSP and run it off one of those 1800ma power pacs from DXExtreme.

By the way, ordered from DX less than two weeks ago and my order came in yesterday. I now have 3 psp phat cases and 3 psp slim cases all clear.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
Ya can you give me some good links you go to for the linux. i not all that crafty with linux but i think i am switching my server to it i hate windows server 08 and 03. I am having trouble with linux on a PS3  as far as adding drivers and stuff to get the wifi to work. but i have played around with ubuntu or suse. so i just need to read when  i get time. i have too much school work for these summer classes cant do much research.

Offline cjmcleod

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
NOPE.

Already running it without UMD, just took a patch is all.

:cool:

Do you think you could post the file? That would be incredibly useful to me as I'm running 3.90 M33 so no IRShell, and also have my UMD drive removed. Thanks in advance.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
Man i forgot all about project4 check it out it has lots of features so it may work here is the main site for it. and
http://www.darkmessiah.byethost13.com/forums/index.php

Offline wiktoras

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
gr8npwrfl, which board do you used for testing?

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Ubuntu is the best place for linux. If you want to learn more about linux and it's inner workings then instead of just installing pachages get the source code and go through the exersize of compiling the programs yourself.

That will teach you much more about programming in a linux environment than just running the linux and applications.

Always download the source code branches and start by making very minor changes, even if it is to only change the startup screen.

Because many times a cutting edge driver or program is not available as a package only as source.

So many times creating a driver is only the act of taking a driver from someone else that already works and making small changes to it to make your hardware work. You don't have to create it from scratch.

It has been a long time since I patched Hostcore. I will have to look for the source code and then remember the patch I made. I will have to compile it for you. Do you run windows or linux.

As far as what I am working on for a platform I have a VIA EPIA-800 mini itx board. I am compiling all the software on that. It can boot from USB and I just make a compile last night and worked out how to get it to boot from the USB hard drive.

I was thinking about the people that do not want to have to flash their system every time we make a change so I am thinking we will flash to base xm4 board to boot from the USB hard drive. That way all a person would have to do to upgrade their software is to plug the hard drive into the computer and run a batch file to upgrade the software and then the xm4 would read the upgrade files and flash itself.

That way only the real hardcore developers would have to have the development parts of the system.

Then we could create a library of mods, a person would select their mods copy them to the usb hard drive and they could create mods without having to program ?

I am making a video of this board and showing it working and plugged into my development board I am using until I get my xm4 development system.

If we limit the power draw of the usb peripherals we will be able to use a non powered hub to plug everything in.

BTW. I am running IRSHELL 3.9 with CFW 3.9-3 M33 firmware. It runs AWESOME !!!! and works fantastic with the mods we are doing. I have not found a single game yet ( I have over 150 (For testing only) on my remote drive ).

I am also compiling in the remotejoy with usbhostfs_pc and will show a video of the PSP playing from my IPOD and using a Logitech Wingman wireless rumblepad to play the game.

This way it will all be proven before we migrate to the xm4 and start working on the second screen with touch and
maybe we can (IF CYBER) approves it talk to the HIVE. and control all the existing mods.

So give me some feedback on the USB hard drive update idea, it could also be as simple as a usb thumbdrive for upgrading the system.

Are we all on track here or have I missed something ?

Offline cjmcleod

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
I dual-boot XP Pro and Ubuntu 8.04. But I probably use XP more due to Linux's lame audio support. I'm a musician.  :yess:

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
I just want a hard drive and those ps2 usb controller adapters to work. that's all I need to make me happy. I already have all the parts, I just need some way of connecting them to the psp
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:22:15 PM by dslitemodder »

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
I couldnt find the information on the site, but you guys may just wanna confirm, cause alot of mini computers  cant support hard drives with a sector size over 512. You can still have a 250gb hard drive, just we need to find out if this device can support units with a sector size over 512. And on my first question, lol, I didnt state myself clear enough, but i found the answer myself, so no biggy!

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
I was thinking about the people that do not want to have to flash their system every time we make a change so I am thinking we will flash to base xm4 board to boot from the USB hard drive. That way all a person would have to do to upgrade their software is to plug the hard drive into the computer and run a batch file to upgrade the software and then the xm4 would read the upgrade files and flash itself.

That way only the real hardcore developers would have to have the development parts of the system.

Then we could create a library of mods, a person would select their mods copy them to the usb hard drive and they could create mods without having to program ?

I am making a video of this board and showing it working and plugged into my development board I am using until I get my xm4 development system.

If we limit the power draw of the usb peripherals we will be able to use a non powered hub to plug everything in.

BTW. I am running IRSHELL 3.9 with CFW 3.9-3 M33 firmware. It runs AWESOME !!!! and works fantastic with the mods we are doing. I have not found a single game yet ( I have over 150 (For testing only) on my remote drive ).

I am also compiling in the remotejoy with usbhostfs_pc and will show a video of the PSP playing from my IPOD and using a Logitech Wingman wireless rumblepad to play the game.

This way it will all be proven before we migrate to the xm4 and start working on the second screen with touch and
maybe we can (IF CYBER) approves it talk to the HIVE. and control all the existing mods.

So give me some feedback on the USB hard drive update idea, it could also be as simple as a usb thumbdrive for upgrading the system.

Are we all on track here or have I missed something ?

Lol yes you have caught my idea i forgot about remote joy that will def work for dual screen and touch screen . just need to do the touch screen keyboard. and migrating the hive was another  idea i had in mind. Man on the usb HDD that will only allow for HC programmers to compile updates but yet it allows everyone to modify the system the way they want. i like it. only prob it is the programmers quit then the ppl are stuck unless it is all open source updates. Oh i was talking to VOX and we were talking about rumble psp headset that are bluetooth their is a small usb about the size of a a dime or less that brings buletooth to a device. add blue tooth support.

and i would like to be part of the dev team as far as creating updates for this board and all it will force me to learn to porgram and learn linux better. but i love the idea like CFW updates. and we may be able to do it as a Homebrew app updating the xm4 through the XMB for those who dont want to do the HDD or USB Way. just send the update through the usb port. have a selection in the update in the xmb through through internet to go CFW or the XM4. that would top off the mod to be more professional.

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
You know your gonna have to write code for a keyboard and mouse anyway, right? even though all the information will be transfered through the xm4, the psp isnt going to know what functions the signal wants it to perform. Ive been reading, and ive learned this, so if your planning on wiring up a mouse, it would be much better to just hardwire it to the contacts.

gaphen

Is there any update on this?

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
well as gr8npwrfl has stated he is waiting on the xm4 board to come in but has it working using another board. so most of the programing is done for the base.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Status update:

Still waiting for xm4 board  :cry2: :dntknw: :faint: :beg:

System running on Via EPIA-800 board with 4 usb 2.0 ports and 2 firewire ports. Using a hard drive to simulate the flash memory (board does not have flash) .

Have compiled usbhostfs_pc for unix and it is running good.
Have compile remotejoy with no screen transfer just remote joystick.

Running Logitech Wingman Cordless Rumblepad. system finds and runs this great

Chasing bugs in remotejoy where system locks up periodically.

I have plugged a 2.5 Terrabyte raid array and the system sees it just fine.

Working on software for network file system for hardware ethernet.

Rebuild CFW on PSP removed all the old stuff installed formatted pro duo and started over.
Running CFW 3.90-3 M33 sysem WITHOUT the memory stick speedup patch
Installed IRSHELL 3.90 and setup system to be compatible with 3.90-3 M33 CFW.

At this point the 125 to 150 games I have on a dumb usb hard drive load and run correctly with this setup.

Remotejoy when it runs makes playing first person shooters a pleasure.  :cry2: Still chasing bugs.

Have downloaded the source to a different key input prx program that replaces the stock one in the xmb. Looking at converting it to accept input from the PC keyboard. This one looks very good.
In this program there are also hooks to accept mouse input so I am looking at a mouse driver also.

I am looking at some code that would allow the xm4 board to be a server for multi player games.

I have a pic cpu plugged into the serial port of my development system and have several switches and leds hooked up to simulate the input/output like maybe talking to a hive. NO PROBLEM !

This is all stuff I can work on till the xm4 boards arrive. Will take a few pictures of my development system and post those here so you can see what I am working off.

Thats it for now, I am in program mode and I have been working till 3:00 am on this and get up at 7:00 am to work on my company stuff.

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
So when do you expect the xm4 board to arrive? and some pics would be awesome  :dribble:

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
My first batch of xm4 board should be in later this week

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
Cant wait to get one.

VoX

Also, I'm am REALLY interested in this project. I would like to contact you about getting one of the XM4 boards, I know quite a bit about UNIX/Linux too. Any updates would be appreciated

Offline everlasting_will

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • BEPSP

Yeah, that would be the point. Well, still haven't read a lot about the xm4 so i don't know how it loads its linux distribution. So i guess you are suggesting to force the board to load it from the hard drive, so just by updating your files in the hardrive you will be able to add features. That would be the way I think, well don't know if it would be better to do it through the micro sd, but the idea would be the same.
In fact, the board I talk to you about, the "ATNGW100 Network Gateway Kit" loads its linux from the sd card obviously with the help of a boot called uBoot. I don't know if the xm4 already have a boot with the possibility to select where you want to boot the system from. By the way you talk, either it already has it or it is easy for you to make/modify it.
Anyhow from my point of view the need of an easy way to update the system (without a jtag programmer addon) is almost a must. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:29:42 AM by everlasting_will »
First Be then PSP !!

gaphen

Ok, ive been reading your guys' idea, and wouldnt you have to write or enhance a psp firmware so that it can exchange firmware comands with the Xm4?

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
The complete structure has already been done by other people.

It has been fully documented with source code.

We can expand it to other comm protocols as we desire.

Offline TheN0ble

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
gr8npwrfl, when you get your first batch of xm4 board's how many do you think you can sell? because If its a short ammount, I call dibbs!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
I have 5 samples coming in for testing this week and then the following week I am getting 100

There should be plenty for everyone to get started with.

I am using this time to do intro's and documents. Getting ready for people to be able to start up.

Including how to set up a programming environment to compile the code.
The compiler
The linker
Required library modules.

I am setting up another computer that will have nothing on it but the OS so I can follow my own directions
to make sure they work the first time for everyone.

I will probably setup an FTP server to house all the files needed and to be a repository for code and libraries.
I am running on Fiber Optic here with 35 mbit down and 8 mbit up so running the server will be no problem.

The problem I am seeing here is not the development time to do it, but all the documentation time required.
I want anyone that wants to do this to have access to it.

You can only really learn by doing

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
Hey man i am here to help as i stated before. so i really want to learn and i think this will help me out so i will help with the documentation. pm me or get me on im or skype

Offline cwhaxuallday

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • "Im Just trying to find paradise"
OK I think i hit the same snag u did only i have a 4th gen ipod w/ 60 gb hd i can hook it up with the cable that i made but how can i get the ipod to run as a master or whatever over the psp and also run the usb host part of irshell? :dntknw:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal