Author Topic: PSP internal HDD mod with 80GB 1.8" ipod harddrive (or any other usb drive)  (Read 163374 times)

Offline JWhiteLightning

• BANNED
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Because Im CWN
Oh, so you are a good progarmmer? well, i kinda need a little help on a program i need to write, think you can help?

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
Yes I have written some specialized software here and there.

My background is both hardware and software.

Offline JWhiteLightning

• BANNED
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Because Im CWN
Oh, well i just need a simple program, school project for extra credit, i just need a program that will let me Make like a text box, like the one in the internet browser URL, and when i press enter, it sends the message out the usb port.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
so we are now going to rebuild the NSLU2 to make it smaller

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Only as a last resort will we rebuild the NSLU2

Thats if we have no other affordable solution

Offline mongol550

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
 Sorry I've been gone, I didn't have internet for awhile.

I see you could only get 12mbps out of the XM4. But I don't see how they (the manufacturer) can say its FULLY USB 2.0 COMPLIANT when it only has USB 1.1 speeds at best. That seems to be just a complete and blatant lie. You should demand a refund before its too late. That is unless you have some more ideas first.

But its good this isn't just about mass storage anymore, there are so many new possibilities with a usb port. You got it working with a joystick and evdo modem? Thats awesome. I think the wifi in the PSP is limited to ~400kb/s, I know evdo is fast enough to stream decent quality video (I have one too for the sprint network) which could speed up browsing a bit. I can't even get a 128kbit mp3 to stream through my wireless network from my PC without skipping badly. How did you make the PSP use the USB port for internet?

If you're looking to make your own linux chip, I'm guessing it won't need that fast of a CPU just for usbhostfs. An intel strongarm would probably be overkill. It just needs to be able to move 480mbps through the usb bus. Not even that much for a decent transfer rate from the HDD. No other USB devices besides mass storage really need much bandwidth. Things like joysticks barely need USB 1.0 spec bandwidth to work perfectly. Maybe theres a linux distribution with just the most basic libraries you could use, reducing the need for a fast CPU.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
I have just finished reading the 400 page manual on the PXA270 Marvell processor.

That is what is used on the gumstix xm4 board. The usb host they are using is built into the chip.
But there is also a very complex fast DMA controller built into the chip. There is also a fast I2C
interface already built into the chip.

Earlier we were looking into using a maxxim chip that does USB 2.0 high speed. I am checking on drivers
for that chip now. It seems there is a full library for the chip already.

We could do a simple I2C interface to the Maxxim chip from the xm4 board and have 4 high speed 480Mbit / second ports. I am looking at the software now.

Well for now my eyes are cross eyed from all the reading today.

Post later tomorrow on progress.

Offline cjmcleod

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
@mongol: I wondered about how he connected the wireless modem myself. I guess that the PSP can connect through ad-hoc, so you just need a driver on the host side.

Offline qu3nt1n

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I am French :)
Good idea  :clap:
but i think is't difficult no ?  :eyebrow:
Sorry for my bad english i'am french  :cool:
By
qu3nt1n
I am French :)
PSP FAT 4.01M33-2 (MODDING)
PSP SLIM 4.01M33-2

Offline JWhiteLightning

• BANNED
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Because Im CWN
so we are just addng another chip onto the XM4? how much will the other chip cost, cus im on a very limited budget.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
The mobile broadband I hooked up to my test bed.
Linux then was able to dial in and use it.
We will have to do some software to pass the serial data back and forth to the PSP.

Probably the easiest will be to create a TCPIP socket back and forth between them. Then all the web apps
will have access to the data on the broadband modem.

I will get an idea on how much the extra stuff will be when I finish designing it.

Offline cjmcleod

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
Any reply from Gumstix about the USB capabilities?

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Gumstix has no intention of ever offering USB 2.0. Every single option on the xm4 boards are built into the Marvell Strongarm CPU.

The only external chips they have are drivers of buffers.

I have researched the design and it is straight out of the Intel design specs to build a PDA. There is nothing special there except the form factor.

They do not bring enough signals out to interface to a seperate USB control chip.

They are taking all the units I bought back and not charging me a restocking fee.

Next status:

I have migrated from my 8" x 10" test computer to a NSLU2 system.

I have re-flashed the NSLU2 with uNSLUng Linux
I have doubled the speed of the NSLU2 to 266 Mhz
I modified the USB ports so they both will drive hard drives
I have compiled usbhostfs_pc on the system and it is working like a champ.

I have already tested my IPOD and put it in disk mode and played games from
the hard drive in my IPOD.

I have installed the drivers for the generic card readers so I can read ANY type
of flash media and it looks like an external hard drive to the PSP.

I am in the process of compiling drivers for a Linxsys USB Wifi adapter so I can install
nesthostfs_pc and run the interface to the PSP through the wireless interface.
Requiring no wires to the PSP at all.

Now that I am on OE_Embeded linux there are over 2,000 software programs that already
run on the NSLU2.

I am tracing out the circuits on the NSLU2 and seeing how much of the board can
be cut away, or maybe fold the board in half.

These things are available for $40

I am just trying to come up with the cheapest way to do this.

Offline JWhiteLightning

• BANNED
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Because Im CWN
So $40 for the whole assembly (besides hard drive or BOMS device, ofcourse). Now that is something i can do, but the onlly downside is that the assembly wont be able to fit into our psp, or will it?

Please continue to update.

Offline cjmcleod

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
I don't know exactly how you would "fold" the board, but then again I don't have your experience. However, earlier in the thread it was mentioned that you couldn't really dremel out much of it.

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
you cut the board in half and solder the traces back together with wire, it's kind of extreme and really hard to do.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
I don't know what still testing and let you know.

Offline BobLC

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Hi everybody,

I read all this thread with interest, and try to find a tiny motherboard supporting USB 2.0.
Found this one : http://www.compulab.co.il/x300/html/x300-cm-datasheet.htm
It costs 61$ for 1K, and 162$ for one piece. I think it will fit in the PSP, and fit all the requirements.
Your opinion ?

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
well it sound okay but lest see what gr8npwrfl says. and the price seems to be coming down on this project.

CPU, Memory and Busses
Feature    Specifications    Option
CPU    Intel XScale PXA300, 208 / 624 MHz, WMMX2, 2*128K internal SRAM
32 KB I-cache and 32 KB D-cache, WB, 128 MB address space
DMA and  Interrupt controllers, Timers    +
RAM    64 - 128 MB, DDR, 208 MHz, 16-bit    +
NAND Flash Disk    512 Mbytes, bootable.    +
External local bus    16-bit,  variable rate up to 52 MHz, 3.3V tolerance    +
AC97 bus    AC97 / AMC97 Rev 2.1 compliant    +
Peripherals
Feature
Specifications
Option
Graphics Controller
8/16 bit color, TFT / STN, resolution up to 640 x 480 x 16, frame buffer in CPU SRAM / system DDR
Video Input Port
Direct camera sensor support, max resolution 2560 x 2048, pixel clock up to 52MHz
USB
Host/Slave (OTG) port, 12 Mbps, 23-endpoints (in slave mode), OHCI v1.0
Host port (shared with Bluetooth, therefore not available with "W" option)
USB 2.0 HS client port
W
Serial Ports
(UARTs)   
Up to 3 UART ports, 16550 compatible, max 921 kbps
COM-A - RS232, Rx / Tx
COM-C - TTL, full modem controls
COM-D - TTL, partial modem controls
General Purpose I/O
42 dedicated lines (32 I2C-controlled + 10 memory-mapped) plus additional lines shared with other functions. Can also be used as interrupt inputs.
Keyboard & mouse
USB, keypad or redirection from COM port
Ethernet
Davicom DM9000A MAC & PHY, 10/100BaseT, Activity LED's
Audio codec
Wolfson W9712L, AC97 interface, mono microphone input, stereo line input and 25 mW output for active speakers
AT
Touchscreen ctrl.
A part of the W9712L codec chip. Supports resistive touch panels.
AT
RTC
Real Time Clock, powered by external lithium battery
WiFi
Interface
Implements 802.11b/g wireless connectivity standard
Supports Node to Access Point and Multi-Node (w/o access point) methods of connection. (but cannot act as Access Point)
Marvell 88W8686  802.11b/g chipset.
On-board ceramic chip antenna and connector for external antenna.
Bluetooth
Bluetooth V2.0+EDR system. CSR BlueCore4-ROM chipset, 2.4GHz band, up to 3Mbps. On-board ceramic chip antenna and connector for external antenna.
Bluetooth and WiFi interface are always assembled together, and therefore are specified by the same assembling option.
Electrical, Mechanical and Environmental Specifications
Supply Voltage    Single 3.3V or 3.6V battery
Active power consumption    0.2 - 2 W, depending on configuration and CPU speed
Standby/Sleep consumption    20 - 100 mW, depending on configuration and mode
Dimensions    66 x 44 x 7 mm
Weight    25 gram
MTBF    > 100,000 hours
Operation temperature (case)    
Commercial:       0o to 70o C
Extended:    -20o to 70o C
Industrial:    -40o to 85o C. Click for availability note
Storage temperature    -40o to 85o C
Relative humidity    10% to 90% (operation)
05% to 95% (storage)
Shock    50G / 20 ms
Vibration    20G / 0 - 600 Hz
Connectors    2 x 140 pin, 0.6 mm
Connector insertion / removal    50 cycles

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
I read all about it, This one is not any further ahead than the xm4 board

The USB on the board is 1.1 OTG host and USB 2.0 SLAVE.

So a computer can talk to this at 480 Mbit but the board itself can only talk to the PSP or hard drives at 12Mbit

This is exactly what the xm4 does. They are both based on Strongarm processors and the peripherals are built into the cpu chip.

So far the NSLU2 with its separate NEC USB 2.0 controller for 5 usb ports is the front runner even if its not as small as we like.

I have already taken the NSLU2 boosted the clock rate from 133 to 266 meg. Wired up three more usb ports for a total of 5. Although I have tested a mini 4 port hub and the system runs fine on that.

The NSLU2 uses the same CPU as the xm4 so I am tracing out the circuits so that I can use the same uNSLUng linux and the same NEC chip on the xm4.

In doing it this way, people that are on a very tight budget can use all the software and hardware we do with a NSLU2 system for $40.00 and the people that have a little more to work with can use the xm4 board as they will both run the same software.

I already have usbhostfs with both irshell and hostcore 1.1 for wired connections

I am working on the bugs in nethostfs with both irshell and hostcore 1.1 for wireless connections.

I have usb hard drives working, ipod for program storage working, playing music from the ipod on the PSP working, I even have any flash media you want with a mini usb card reader working, I have multiple storage drives working.

I am working on using the new remotejoy source code that ahman created to translate the PC api so they run on the linux system.

I have my mobile broadband working on the NSLU2 but have to do the comm software to the PSP.

I am testing a USB 802.11 g wireless adapter so the nethostfs can talk directly to the NSLU2 without a hub as the  NSLU2 will function as an access point.

Once nethostfs is running correctly you would be able to set a xm4 or NSLU2 in the middle of the room and several PSPs could access the games from it at the same time.

One other thing, the PSP plugs into the NSLU2 on a powered port, so with the PSP charge mod, your PSP would be powered from the NSLU2 !

Joystick is configured in Linux now, but I am using remotejoy as a template to write a new remotejoy app that can use just about any joystick plugged in. The default config will be for the PS2 rumble pad.

I will do a writeup so other people that want to work on the software can get a cross compiling environment setup.

I will try and finish and upload a proof of concept video tomorrow.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
wow man this is sounding better and better i am glad you are working out all the kinkcs before releasing it to the public. so your saying that the psp battery would not be needed but yet use another bigger battery for powering both the psp board and hdd. once you get the the board all layed out can you pm me with the size so i can finish config my case.

Offline pax

• CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Sig and Avatar by INDYCHASE
    • GAMING LAGOON - Join now for free prizes
will this still be able to be made internal if u took out the umd drive? seeing as the nslu2 board is a lot bigger than the xm4. oh and cant wait for the POC

Guppy > Chief Squatting Hard > 1/2 Pint > Fart Sniffer > Tone Deff > Motor Mouth > Allumnist > King of the Wii-tards > Who Farted > Poker Champ > Chaos Lover > Bomb Maker > CyberPyrot Wannabe

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
i kinda stumbled upon this thought it would interest you.
http://endlessparadigm.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11939

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Thanks for the heads up on the new hostcore.

It will take about three months to build a daughter board with a usb high speed controller on it for the xm4 board.

Yes the xm4 board and daughter will fit inside the UMD drive bay of the PSP both Phat and Slim.

That is why I am working with the NSLU2. It is so cheap I am writing a tutorial on getting the base system running and a development environment for the system.

You can get a NSLU2 for as low as $30 plus shipping. Right now without writing any software or even compiling any software. You can run a NSLU2 with uNSLUng firmware, usbhostfs, use any usb drive for storage, or even use your IPOD as an external disk for your PSP.

The previous is the tutorial I am writing now. That way you guys can play with it also. You will not have to be tethered to your PC for mass storage.

The base system requires no hardware mods, NO soldering, No opening your PSP. Its just plug power install and run.

The work is not wasted as exactly the same programming runs on the new xm4 board with USB 2.0 High Speed.

I wanted to have the video done today, but the accompanying article is taking more time to write than I thought and my wife does like to see me once in a while.

Thats the status for today.

Offline JWhiteLightning

• BANNED
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Because Im CWN
Nice, thanks for the update. the Daughterboard should acheive usb 2.0 standards, right?

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Yes the daughter board will yeild 4 ports of USB 2.0 High SPeed 480Mbit speeds

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
I wanted to have the video done today, but the accompanying article is taking more time to write than I thought and my wife does like to see me once in a while.
if that is your excuse take as long as you want to get this done. I respect people who choose to see their family instead of sitting at a computer all day.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 11:55:07 PM by dslitemodder »

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
i agree spend time with your family dont loose them or you dont have anything.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Ok here is a rough video of what we are doing.

The lighting is not great and I will need to get a slim so I can capture the screen video so you can see what is happening on the screen better.

The lighting is set so you can see what is on the screen.

I demo the unit tied to an IPOD because everyone knows you cant hook the IPOD directly to the PSP.
The IPOD has no custom software installed. I am just putting it in mass storage mode.

The PSP has no ISO images installed so the only place to get games from is the mass storage device.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZVddcQqsVo8

Al the devices on the table have drivers installed now. Small card reader gives access to any type of storage card.
All types of USB hard drives, I even have the driver for USB DVD drives installed now. Any type of keychain drives are now supported.

This is a stock PSP Phat running CFW 3.90 M33-3 firmware with irshell 3.90 and hostcore 1.2

I am working on the usb wifi driver so the system could be wireless from the PSP. The remotejoy driver I am also working on.

I am writing a tutorial on how to setup the same thing I currently have. The NSLU2 will use the same software the final xm4 board with my interface board on will run.

Offline ougabooga

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Am Lost
    • Acid Mods
wow man great job.... :clap:
i wish you the best of luck on the rest of this great project. :tup:
There is no such thing as a stupid question, Just a stupid person.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal