Author Topic: Windows Vista and the absurb position companies put people in  (Read 4585 times)

Offline Ilzwalrus

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I r smart.
    • My Livejournal, which I update two to three times a day with a fun and witty commentary about the goings-on of society today, occasionally interspersed with meaningful and often thought-provoking tidbits about my extraordinary personal life.
Well, I purchased a laptop around half a year ago and it came with Vista Home Premium. I thought "Alright, I'll try it out, see how I go, maybe I'll like it." It all seemed okay for a while. But then I began seeing so many flaws and eventually it began to die.
I realised that I needed XP back.
So I format the hard drive, shove my install disc in, expecting everything to go smoothly, but no. The install disc doesn't have the necessary SATA drivers, so naturally the setup doesn't see the hard drive and so I couldn't install anything.
Well, I thought that there would be a work around it. HP says that I should shove the drivers onto a floppy. Right. A floppy? WHAT IS THIS FLOPPY YOU SPEAK OF? They became obsolete ages ago and my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive!
The other way requires the use of nLite to integrate the drivers. It freaking crashed.
I cannot bear to use Vista anymore.

Another thing: nVidia. I used to have great respect for them, but it looks like I was wrong in having this respect. I wanted to find drivers for XP for my video card. The nVidia site tells me to go to HP. HP only offers these drivers for Vista. So I'm forced to use hacked drivers.

We as consumers should be allowed to choose what we use. Why should we be forced into using an OS that is obviously... bad.

Offline dedafmonteur

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +4/-0
Re: Windows Vista and the absurb position companies put people in
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:39:43 AM »
didtn you use auto-update @ nvidia?

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 08:45:58 AM »
didtn you use auto-update @ nvidia?

Drivers DON'T EXIST!

Also thanks to Ilz, I didn't run into the SATA problem, and yes, I am running on hacked drivers too.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline dedafmonteur

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 08:51:53 AM »
hmmm, strange...
i went from vista to xp to and had no problem what so ever

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 10:09:35 AM »
hmmm, strange...
i went from vista to xp to and had no problem what so ever
Even weirder is I went from XP to Vista on 2 different computers and have had nothing but success...

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 11:01:47 AM »
well obviously it has a lot more problems

total mess

microsawft actually had to say it was a 'stepping stone' OS for windows 7 which hits in '10
disasterous stuff from what i've heard :(
sorry to hear you had problems

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 12:24:41 PM »
well obviously it has a lot more problems

total mess

microsawft actually had to say it was a 'stepping stone' OS for windows 7 which hits in '10
disasterous stuff from what i've heard :(
sorry to hear you had problems

Mind if I ask what specific problems you've had
my only problem with it was I couldn't install AIM on my little bros computer, but Meebo solved that for hm

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 12:28:16 PM »
i do mind because you know i dont have it

nowhere did i say i had any issues

i had HEARD about issues, heard people complain, and heard people dislike it immensely

Offline Ilzwalrus

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I r smart.
    • My Livejournal, which I update two to three times a day with a fun and witty commentary about the goings-on of society today, occasionally interspersed with meaningful and often thought-provoking tidbits about my extraordinary personal life.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 11:52:10 PM »
Deda, your laptop is old. It has different hardware.

Well, I'm dual-booting with Ubuntu now.

Reaper, the whole system is bloatware. 1GB stock RAM usage.www.speedyvista.com. Go to processes. Take a look at how many of those are actually necessary. The framework is dodgy as hell, with plenty of bugs. I had Vista running (legit version) for a week, and I had 2 blue screens of death in that time. It's incompatible with some stuff. The UAC is probably the most annoying piece of crap ever. I disabled it. The last straw for me was that it randomly started not responding to mouse clicks and keyboard presses, but only mouse movement. It would do this randomly. Oh and I can't run Alcohol on it. Instant BSoD neverending loop.

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 01:14:31 AM »
i do mind because you know i dont have it

nowhere did i say i had any issues

i had HEARD about issues, heard people complain, and heard people dislike it immensely
quoted wrong person

Offline dedafmonteur

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +4/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 03:36:29 AM »
i use ubuntu to, it rocks....

windows just pisses me off.
@ my school 10 from the 15 people that use vista are screwed and from those 10, 7 laptops had to be replaced for a new one.

now you tell me why vista is so awsome....i dont see one benefit of it

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 05:34:11 AM »
ubuntu lacks geddy lee, just like this thread before now.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 10:12:26 AM »
I've had nothing but success from Vista Home Premium/Ultimate. Not a single software problem ever, not a single hardware problem ever. Everything I've thrown at it has been compatible. The only thing is, I've gotten a few BSoD's and they've been harmless. Only from keeping a certain iPod I have plugged in while I wake up my laptop from sleep. Nothing more. I'm dual booting Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu 7.10 and I find myself using Vista substantially more then Linux now.

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 11:00:43 AM »
I've had nothing but success from Vista Home Premium/Ultimate. Not a single software problem ever, not a single hardware problem ever. Everything I've thrown at it has been compatible. The only thing is, I've gotten a few BSoD's and they've been harmless. Only from keeping a certain iPod I have plugged in while I wake up my laptop from sleep. Nothing more. I'm dual booting Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu 7.10 and I find myself using Vista substantially more then Linux now.
Only BSoD I've gotten were from overclocking...

Offline Ilzwalrus

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I r smart.
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 02:10:16 AM »
I'm dual-botting Vista Home Premium and Ubuntu 8.04. Using Ubuntu mainly. Only if I need to game, will I switch to Vista.
The main problem I have is that I'm being FORCED to use an OS. It's lame.

Offline Rory

• ZOMG, A Deda!!!!!
  • Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Eyy lmao
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 12:14:29 AM »
Even weirder is I went from XP to Vista on 2 different computers and have had nothing but success...

Same here.
Everything on my XP machine was dying.
Install Vista. I actually have not just some functionality. But full functionality.

IMO: All the people who say "Vista is :censored:", either can't afford it, doesn't have decent hardware to run it off, or haven't tryed it.
Everyone I know in college that say vista is :censored:, I tell them to try it out, give them a copy. Next thing you know "OMG this is the best thing EVER".
Only BSOD I got waas from plugging my dads cellphone into this computer XD. Dunno why but it was pretty funny :P.

What I lol at this topic about is that everyone says Vista isn't compatable with most drivers. Now who has the drivers >:D.
Just a point :P.
Quote from: IndyChav
I think that the king of spam should be immune to the punishment for posting spam everywhere, so post away Rory :tup:
Quote from: FreeK
couldnt of said it any better.

Offline Ilzwalrus

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I r smart.
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 02:18:16 AM »
Rory, I'm going to put it simply to you: YOUR DOING IT WRONG.

Well, any windows machine is going to die eventually, unless you're some sort of puritan user who only goes to www.microsoft.com. However, Vista dies in the most ridiculous ways possible.
I have a legal version of it. I have decent hardware (the machine was suited for vista Dual Centrino, 2gb ram, 8400M GS). I have used it for 6 months. I hate it. I hated it less when I turned off Aero, but then it shat itself.

Ubuntu ftw. COMPIZ FUSION > AERO ANY DAY.

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 05:42:25 AM »
compiz fusion lacks pete townsend

No really, these musician references aren't random humour, they have a message....

compiz fusion is more black sabbath

taking full credit for someone elses originality and popularising it (power chords in music) and basically saying "you should have done this stuff that you weren't aware of when you made it"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal