Author Topic: Got the broken DS today, a few issues.  (Read 2186 times)

Offline LocalToast

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • DS Hacker, Modder-to-be
    • LocalToast's DS Hacks
Got the broken DS today, a few issues.
« on: May 24, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »
Hello everyone,

I got the broken DS Lite from eBay today. The seller stated that the top screen does not work. Anyway, I noticed when you even move the top screen when the DS is on, the screen shows different pixels and stuff. It's just random, though. So I opened it up and the ribbon is actually bent. I'm thinking this is unfixable by the tape method. And, to make matters worse, I can't put the top shell back together! It doesn't slide together properly, leaving a bit of the hinge cracked open (but not damaged). The two pieces will not just attach and slide together like they should.

So uh... any ideas?
My Stuff:
- 1 Unmodded DS Phat, original
- 1 Onyx DS Lite, broken power switch
- 1 Coral Pink DS Lite, under repairs. To be for sale later

VoX

Re: Got the broken DS today, a few issues.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 11:13:36 PM »
Buy a replacment Top Screen, And maybe a new shell if the problem is really bad

Offline thecauseandeffect

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 11:45:24 PM »
i lucked out!
 i bought a damaged ds today locally.  paid the guy $35 for the red/black ds lite new in box, he spilled some water on it and afterwards it would only power on for a few seconds and turn off.  when i got it, i realised that when putting pressure on the battery, it stayed on normally.  so i took out the battery, cleaned the connections, and now it works perfectly!  not a single problem with it!
now i dont feel bad modding my other one :)

VoX

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 12:06:29 AM »
Lol, You lucky guy. $35, *Cry*

Offline LocalToast

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • LocalToast's DS Hacks
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 12:09:46 AM »
It was worse than I had expected. After playing a few GBA games and opening/closing the screen, it just got worse. All of the sudden there are vibrant lines on the screen and the speakers don't work (I think the ribbon must have been really damaged somewhere).

I'm not even going to bother trying to fix this. I contacted the seller about it. It's not even my fault; because he didn't put the shells on properly and he admitted the ribbon was damaged, it can only get worse... hopefully I can get my money back, because I don't even care anymore.
My Stuff:

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 09:03:36 AM »
Ermm, there's mabey a 95% chance it won't happen (not to burst your bubble). Unless he didn't mention AS-IS or just not accepting returns due to it's conditions, once you buy it, you acknowledge it's issues and bought it anyway, but trust me mate, no ds is too broken to fix, cept mine that has a ripped trace and no alternate point to solder...but anyway! Alright, if the speakers AND top screen doesn't work, then the ribbon is complerely damaged. As you know, that ribbon connects both the speakers and top screens, and the speakers are soldered to the ribbon. What you should do:
-If you're sure you can't get the screen to work with any method, then remove it, and de-solder the speakers.
-Once you've done that, order a replacement from a reliable source, including ebay.
-Replace it using any videos or just work your way backwards from how you removed it. The only thing to really remember is the places to solder for the speakers.
-Make sure that EVERYTHING else is OK. I had an issue where the screen got fixed but the motherboard blew a fuse in the process, making it look like this thing was beyond repair when all it took was some more searching and patience. Hope you end up fixing it! If not, then I'll buy it from you, and if you want to do that, send me a PM through acidmods. :)
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline LocalToast

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • LocalToast's DS Hacks
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 01:59:11 PM »
Good news. The seller was pretty cool about it, he said he'd refund some of it and I can keep it. He says he only expected to get about $15 out of it.

Once I find my soldering iron and get some parts, I'm going to try to fix it. The only problem I had was putting the ribbon through the hinge and into the clip, all while leaving room for the L button. Same for the WiFi and microphone cables. I haven't seen too many helpful tutorials that cover those tricky parts. Anyway, I'm hoping to fix this later on. Before that though, I'm getting my other DS fixed (broken power switch, I'm just going to pay for a repair). Since I got a job I'm not too tight on cash anymore. But I think I'm going to stay away from mods until I can get the basics of these things down. :confused:
My Stuff:

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 07:15:36 PM »
Good news. The seller was pretty cool about it, he said he'd refund some of it and I can keep it. He says he only expected to get about $15 out of it.

Once I find my soldering iron and get some parts, I'm going to try to fix it. The only problem I had was putting the ribbon through the hinge and into the clip, all while leaving room for the L button. Same for the WiFi and microphone cables. I haven't seen too many helpful tutorials that cover those tricky parts. Anyway, I'm hoping to fix this later on. Before that though, I'm getting my other DS fixed (broken power switch, I'm just going to pay for a repair). Since I got a job I'm not too tight on cash anymore. But I think I'm going to stay away from mods until I can get the basics of these things down. :confused:
wow your pretty lucky... Thos you got a lot of broken things down on your sig!
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal