Author Topic: PSP External HD?  (Read 2847 times)

Offline IceCold

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
PSP External HD?
« on: June 08, 2008, 12:18:28 PM »
Well, I've been wondering about this for quite some time. If I take the PSP USB cord, And a External HD USB cord (The Fat Square one, Not the Rectangle one). Splice them both to make a PSP to External HD cord. Then just switch the psp into "USB Mass storage device" or whichever it is. Won't it read the games off the HD? Thanks

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
Re: PSP External HD?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »
No because they're both usb slaves... You need something to be a host for the psp to read from it, and use usbhost from irshell. Atleast I think that's what needs to happen.... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline socomhacker239

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:08:34 PM »
yea ur correct justin but i dont think usbhost on ir shell will work unless ur a programmer

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • (Modder for hire) Live in your world, Mod in ours.
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 07:20:48 AM »
the device you are connecting to requires the correct driver, on the pc a usbhost.exe program was made to handle what ir shell needed
----- F@T3oYCG -----

VoX

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 09:44:45 AM »
Look in the other forums for idea's, them come back here and ask questions

Offline K4P741N KRUNCH

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Hackin the PSP since day 1!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 12:18:21 AM »
I have seen a cable that acted as a host for file transfers before.  Also, I have this thing called an XSDrive, 80 GB that actually acts as a host and can transfer between multiple devices and has storage itself.  It uses a mini usb connection, maybe if you could splice a mini to mini cable you could use it.
A pirates life for me
We won't go quietly!!

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 06:45:30 PM »
One way I have been thinking about is this.

Take a PIC processor that does USB host. The usb host stack software is completely done as well the drivers for mass storage devices, human interface devices, ( keyboards, mice, joysticks ).

irshell uses usbhostfs to talk to the devices on the pc and use the pc hard drive as local storage.

We have not been able to use the IPOD as mass storage because Ipod linux does not have the usb host stack built into it.

But we have the full source code for usbhostfs that is written in C

I have been looking at porting usbhostfs to work with the usb stack that is already written for the PIC.

So it is not as much work to combine the pic usb stack and usbhostfs together.

Then we could put the pic with a usb connector in the UMD drive bay and then run any standard run of the mill
usb hard drives attached to the PSP. As well as usb joysticks, keyboards, mice., etc.

Or if you want, a 1.8 inch hard drive as well as the interface should fit in the UMD drive space, just maybe a fraction of
an inch thicker is all.

Offline pax

• CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Sig and Avatar by INDYCHASE
    • GAMING LAGOON - Join now for free prizes
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 10:38:10 AM »
I have seen a cable that acted as a host for file transfers before.  Also, I have this thing called an XSDrive, 80 GB that actually acts as a host and can transfer between multiple devices and has storage itself.  It uses a mini usb connection, maybe if you could splice a mini to mini cable you could use it.

yh i've also seen a mini usb to female usb cable which acts as a host. could u not use that and just plug in any external usb harddrive then access it using irshell? but what about power?
once we get the cable acting as a host then we can work on making it internal
I dont knw,  just my opinion.

here's the mini usb to female usb cable that can act as a host
http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=200
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:42:54 AM by pax »

Guppy > Chief Squatting Hard > 1/2 Pint > Fart Sniffer > Tone Deff > Motor Mouth > Allumnist > King of the Wii-tards > Who Farted > Poker Champ > Chaos Lover > Bomb Maker > CyberPyrot Wannabe

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »
No, you need a Usbhost controller, which needs to be bridged to an MCU with code to tell the usbhost controller what to do.. you then need to write a firmware for the usbhost controller. I have an idea how to do this, as well as what products im going to use, but i need to save up for the correct PIC programmer. I already have source code ive written in C.

Offline pax

• CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Sig and Avatar by INDYCHASE
    • GAMING LAGOON - Join now for free prizes
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 03:19:21 AM »
ok thanks i kinda understand a little bit more now :tup:

Guppy > Chief Squatting Hard > 1/2 Pint > Fart Sniffer > Tone Deff > Motor Mouth > Allumnist > King of the Wii-tards > Who Farted > Poker Champ > Chaos Lover > Bomb Maker > CyberPyrot Wannabe

VoX

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 03:43:22 AM »
That's good you do, You should have a read of the other topics to get an even better understanding

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal