Poll

Would you like to see a PS3 style controller for XBox 360?

Yes!
9 (64.3%)
No!
4 (28.6%)
I rather see another style (Please list below).
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Idea for PS3 controller on XBox 360!  (Read 5811 times)

Offline PowerLion1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Idea for PS3 controller on XBox 360!
« on: May 06, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »
I found out that there are no generic (madcatz, logitech, interact, etc.) wireless game pads due to Micro$oft holding exclusive rights to their wireless protocol.  I being favored towards the PlayStation controllers would like to use a PS3 controller on the XBox 360.  I then thought, if someone could use a generic pad through the USB port, then why not make a generic game pad and a USB wireless receiver that could be plugged into the USB port, sort of like how the the XBox and PS2 wireless controllers were!  Anyone got an idea on how to do this?  I would love to be able to use a PS3 Controller on my friends XBox 360.

Offline H-Sauce

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Music Producer
Re: Idea for PS3 controller on XBox 360!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:26:52 AM »
it would be hard, as the ps3 controller uses bluetooth, so the only way i could imagine would be to change the firmware, therefore meaning no xbox live  :fear: :fear: :fear:

Offline PowerLion1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 03:53:43 PM »
It wouldn't ban you from XBox Live.  A MadCatz, Logitech, etc. XBox 360 controller doesn't ban you from XBox Live does it?  The USB adapter would simply convert the PS3 code into XBox 360 and send those codes as if it was one of the generic XBox 360 controllers.  It would be maybe a little pricey but lets see.

$ 25 - Generic XBox 360 Controller
$   5 - Cheapest Bluetooth Dongle I found.
$   5 - Difference Between two different controllers (One Wired - One Wireless) for Xbox (1) and PS2
=====
$ 35

Remove all the extra circuitry plastic and other miscellaneous items from the XBox 360 controller and you could have it produced for around $20.

Offline DuMaMay

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:58:55 PM »
wouldn't it just be easier if you took the 360 pcb and put it into a modified ps3 controller. just a suggestion...
console list: psp, regular ds, xbox, ipod touch (new new new!)

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 04:42:20 AM »
yep this is definitely possible!during the summer im going to try and desolder the PIC controller chip and the wireless equiptement and soler them into a ps3 controller,because the buttons are just switches on the motherboard of the controller the PIC does all the work,just solder in the new PIC,remove bluetooth and put in 360 wireless hardware,connect it all up and BANG!
Derp.

Offline coulonkid2012

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Dun Dun Dun Duh
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 11:39:45 AM »
ok for about 6 hours now ive ben pondering how his would work because im planning on doing this do you guys think it would work with a ps2 pelican controller?

Current Projects:360 controller in a ps2 controller shell, 360 controller in a n64 controller shell, custom painted 360 faceplate and controller shell,

Offline PowerLion1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 12:48:55 PM »
I could be wrong but I think it's a little harder than just replacing the PIC controller.  In old controllers there were just a few components which is why you could buy a controller for $5.  Now however, there are capacitors, resistors, PIC controllers, etc.  I hope that you are successful.

Offline coulonkid2012

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Dun Dun Dun Duh
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 03:19:46 PM »
yes i was thinking about cutting the pcb of the 360 controller into 3 or 4 part wiring them together and stuffing them into the ps2 controller shell

Current Projects:360 controller in a ps2 controller shell, 360 controller in a n64 controller shell, custom painted 360 faceplate and controller shell,

Offline Dark_Daniel

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Teach Me how to Mod
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 12:23:53 AM »
Srry 2 disapoint U but...
Ben Heck already did it. :dntknw:
hi:)

Offline F00 f00

• Site Owner
  • MFH
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • International Hobo
    • TailormadeToys
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 06:22:55 AM »
If you check this thread, you'll see theat its been done with a wired controller.  https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=20351.0
I remember ben heck doing the oposit thing a while back. It looked pretty sweet. I dont remember it being the other way around. But whether its been done before or not should never be a factor. If you want it you should make it. I would say that using the  guts of a 360 controller would be the best option. I doubt highly that the other methods mentioned would work, unless you have a lot of experience writing wireless drivers. It would really be a job for an experienced engineer. Check this site for examples of the kind of work your thinking of (the guy is amazing) http://www.ppl-pilot.com/
One possible problem with using the wireless xbox's guts is that I think it would be a very tight fit. Also you would need both controller and be ok with the fact you may well ruin both of them during the project. There not cheep.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal