Author Topic: why wont this work?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline korupted2008

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
why wont this work?
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:02:29 PM »
  Okay i have done alot of thinking on the hd mod yes another question while others are hard at work making a chip for it. Now i know that the psp is a slave and the hard drive is a slave, But what  if we did this.

If we take a ide to usb cable the pc can read the hard drive from the usb right? Okay now follow me still, If we take a usb that only holds pro duo cards and broke it open and wired the reader  pins to the psp memory card reader pins it would give us a usb connection at the end right? Okay now if we took the ide to usb cable and cut the usb off and put a female usb on it we can connect it into the usb comming off of the psps memory card reader. then access the memory card from the psp which will read the hard drive at the other end.

I dont know if this is logical but it makes sense to me

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: why wont this work?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:05:03 PM »
Use the stupid search button. People have asked this before.
It WON'T work.

Offline korupted2008

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 08:09:59 PM »
Use the stupid search button. People have asked this before.
It WON'T work.

Chill there are alot of diffrent post on the internal hd mod. I have used the search button and read alot of posts, Now I feel bad for telling others to use the search button, Because deep down I believe they did but there are so many posts that one person couldnt read them all within half of their life time. So with that said try to refrain from assuming that someone did not use the search bar when they did. Also maybe you could fill me in on why it would not work because i am still stumped.

Offline JWhiteLightning

• BANNED
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Because Im CWN
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 08:13:26 PM »
Well you are right, they are both slaves, and the reason that your idea wont work is because there is no usb HOST that can communicate between the two. The two slaves cannot send messages through usb, unless a host recognizes it as a serial device. What i  am saying is that you need a usb Host. Even With a host, it isnt the two usb slaves which are communicating. The psp is communicating with the host, which then passes that information onto the other host, and they use the usb Host as a sort of bridge.

Your idea wont work because the usb card reader isnt a usb host. If it was just an interface issue, this mod would have been done long ago.  The Best Example for this is the XM4 board, which is an actual mini computer running linux. It is already possible with this board to do the usb hard drive mod, but it is only usb full speed specs of 12mbits. That is only 1.2mb/s, so a 300 mb program would take around 6 minutes to load up.

The only kind of small enough device that we are looking for is a USB HOST Controller, which is a psuedo host, which lets the two communicate.

I hope this post has helped you learn a little bit about why your theory will not be sucessful.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:16:01 PM by JWhiteLightning »

Offline korupted2008

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 08:28:05 PM »
Yes very helpful thank you. So basically if i can get a small mobo to run damn small linux. I can have it boot up usbhost and have 2 usb cables run into it one from the psp and then one from the hd, Then i will have to use irshell to access everything?

Offline JWhiteLightning

• BANNED
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Because Im CWN
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 08:30:30 PM »
It cant just be a module running linux, make sure the board has a usb host controller. It would also be helpful to have software already for the board. You will need to write drivers for both the PSP side, and the side of the board.

And you dont need to be running an OS, just a firmware will suffice. An example is the VNC1L. I have written Drivers for the psp side, but i still need the other side, which must be a prx file. The best idea for this is one by Gr8nPwrfl, using the xm4, but he is creating a daughterboard for the xm4 to acheive usb high speed standards of 480mbits/s(about 48-60mb/s).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:32:36 PM by JWhiteLightning »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 08:53:56 PM »
Talk to gr8npwrfl about it, he's the one who actually knows everything about it and is making everything.

Offline korupted2008

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 09:01:02 PM »
Talk to gr8npwrfl about it, he's the one who actually knows everything about it and is making everything.

Sounds good, Thanks to both of you alot of useful information. I just want to be apart of the (seen)typo scene, I am trying to make a control that uses a optical mouse lens and your thumb to move the character around. Nothing too impressive but i havent seen it done.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:18:02 PM by korupted2008 »

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 09:23:13 PM »
Ok to clarify a few things on your questions.

Lets look at this example

You have a IDE hard drive
you have a IDE controller
you have a computer

What makes the computer talk to the IDE controller to talk to the hard drive ??????

The Operating System

There is NO DISK Operating system in the PSP you would have to write one.

Another example

You have a USB host controller
you have a USB device
You have a computer

The Operating System can't talk to the controller without software.
The USB host controller has an entire operating system called a USB Stack.
The USB Stack has to talk to a set of drivers that tell it all about your device

Unless you have all the parts working together you still have a bunch of PARTS

Your computer is a symphony of different layers of software talking to different layers of hardware.

The correct type of hardware has to talk to the corresponding hardware. The operating system has
to have drivers to talk to the hardware. The drivers then talk to the operating system. Then software
that organizes files and reads and writes all have to work together to make a simple thing like
read a file from a storage device.

The number of people that can get into Sony's firmware can be counted on your hands.

Even if you wrote a driver, even if you interfaced to the CFW, and even if you balanced the entire
system together to work, all Sony has to do is release a new version and you are back to ground
zero. You are starting all over again.

Why do you think that the custom software that is being done has to keep changing ?
Because the operating system changes.

I started with computers when we had to make everything ourselves. We used punched paper
tape to load basic on the computer. Sometimes I think that people forget all the things that were
done from scratch to make the PC what it is today. This was done because it was an open
hardware standard. You could get information about each and every part of the system.

We are working here on a system that has so many trade secrets that you can't just order
a book that tells you all about everything. We have to experiment and tinker to try things out.

I have put hundreds of hours into this project. I have written disk operating systems before.
I have interfaced things that were never meant to be interfaced before.

Believe me if there was an easier way to do it we would. We run a linux computer that runs
a special program to ask the PSP what it wants and then reads the data from the hard drive
to pass it to the PSP. This is the only long term solution to get mass storage. Any other
way could be shut off at Sony's whim.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal