Author Topic: can ps3's hdd carry viruses.  (Read 4201 times)

Offline lilcrzytimmy

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Owner of A Red Hottie
can ps3's hdd carry viruses.
« on: August 24, 2008, 03:40:47 PM »
yea thats the question.  my neighbor gave me a flash drive filled with music i liked...pluged it into my ps3 and copied it, then plugged into my pc and coppied it.  now my pc is infected and had just reformated it.  im afraid to connect anything into my ps3 now because of it..

can ps3's hdd carry and transfer viruses?  if they can is there a way to clean it?  if i have to reformat the HDD is there a way i can save  my save files? thnks
Sonys: The Foreign 40gb Black* and the red hot slim soon the green slim.  Nintendo: The revolutional White.
Past: A whole mess of american PSP and eventually Japanese imports.

Materialistic, HELL YA. =D
*i just notice the ps3 was foreign, and i bought it in america. O.O

Offline P3nnyw1se

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • AcidMaG
    • Myspace
Re: can ps3's hdd carry viruses.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »
It's like any ordinary HDD...only difference is a sony PS3 OS instead of Windows.... :laughing:

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 06:53:33 PM »
Well, yes a PS3 Hdd can get a virus, anything storage based can get a virus, a Floppy Disk can get a virus.

The PS3 OS Is Unix, much like Linux and OS X, so if the virus infected your Windows PC, theres nothing to worry about at all, anyway, a PS3 would be able to run a virus, since it hasnt been digitally signed by sony.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline lilcrzytimmy

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Owner of A Red Hottie
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 10:38:12 PM »
Well, yes a PS3 Hdd can get a virus, anything storage based can get a virus, a Floppy Disk can get a virus.

The PS3 OS Is Unix, much like Linux and OS X, so if the virus infected your Windows PC, theres nothing to worry about at all, anyway, a PS3 would be able to run a virus, since it hasnt been digitally signed by sony.

if i were to reformat my hdd, how can i get my save files out safely without infecting my usb drive.
Sonys: The Foreign 40gb Black* and the red hot slim soon the green slim.  Nintendo: The revolutional White.

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 04:08:28 AM »
Well, the music files must be infected, or there is a virus hidden inside one.

Dont worry, its safe on your PS3, NO VIRUS'ES WORK ON PS3, AT ALL, but if you were to copy them over to another PC, i dunno....

Offline ProperBritish

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Raining Blood! From A Lacerated Sky!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:49:52 AM »
OMG why do people not understand that viruses written for windows, only work on windows. Formatting your hard drive would be the stupidest thing youve ever done. Plus, even if you plugged it into a Windows PC, it wouldnt make your PC get a virus again as Windows PCs cannot read PS3-formatted hard drives.

Quote from: ≤Ʀαωгу≥
you know who i would bone? daffy duck

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 10:05:27 AM »
didnt you have an antivirus installed or use a mac lol

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline lilcrzytimmy

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Owner of A Red Hottie
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 11:41:54 AM »
OMG why do people not understand that viruses written for windows, only work on windows. Formatting your hard drive would be the stupidest thing youve ever done. Plus, even if you plugged it into a Windows PC, it wouldnt make your PC get a virus again as Windows PCs cannot read PS3-formatted hard drives.

OMG DONT YOU UNDERSTAND HOW VIRUS WORK.  you have to consider the future.  you may not plug things into your ps3 but I DO.
 i noe that it wont affect the ps3 for the longest time.  i NOE that virus are developed for only certain OS.  THE ONLY PROBLEM IS i plug in my usb drive, externel HDD, my ipod, and PSP to the ps3 and my laptop.  if i were to plug it in,  my memory on my PSP, ipod, USB drive, and externel HDD will get INFECTED and if i plug it into my laptop, my laptop will get INFECTED. 

didnt you have an antivirus installed or use a mac lol

lol i wish i had a mac, but its too expensive for my taste.. however, even if i had a mac, it will be a carrier for virus
i dont use antivirus programs.  they lag pc a lot, (i have Core 2 DUO)  and most of the time dont even protect your pc.
btw, my vista boot time is 42 secs and i wanna keep it that way.  i had nod 32 and mc afee, and boot time was around 1 min and 30 sec......)

just wondering, if i run my pc into safemode, can a virus be transfered?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:50:45 AM by lilcrzytimmy »

Offline ProperBritish

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 01:01:52 PM »
OMG DONT YOU UNDERSTAND HOW VIRUS WORK.  you have to consider the future.  you may not plug things into your ps3 but I DO.
 i noe that it wont affect the ps3 for the longest time.  i NOE that virus are developed for only certain OS.  THE ONLY PROBLEM IS i plug in my usb drive, externel HDD, my ipod, and PSP to the ps3 and my laptop.  if i were to plug it in,  my memory on my PSP, ipod, USB drive, and externel HDD will get INFECTED and if i plug it into my laptop, my laptop will get INFECTED. 

i plug things in my PS3 all the time ¬_¬ im just not stupid enough to get a virus in the first place. also, the virus wont be able to run its 'copy to device' code as it cant run on an OS other than Windows. so mehhhhhh

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »
just plugging something into your ps3 wont cause the virus to transfer over it will only transfer over from a ps3 if you were to copy the infected file or folder.
in my experience having an antivirus is worth it as it does help to protect you, not totally as no solution (apart from not connecting to a network and not plugging anything into the computer and putting any disks in the computer) is perfect but it is an improvement.
and i would prefer a slightly longer boot instead of needing to format my pc every time i got infected.
but i havnt used a windows computer properly in over 4 years so i cant really talk but in a few days i will have my new computer which i will be tri or quad booting with xp pro 32 bit and vista ultimate 64 bit and possibly linux, and its for university so i will need to experiment and see what antivirus option i prefer and find best and works best on the os. i will also for the first time be considering getting an antivirus for the mac partition as it catches windows viruses as well which should mean hopefully that i wont be a passer on.

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline lilcrzytimmy

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Owner of A Red Hottie
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »
i plug things in my PS3 all the time ¬_¬ im just not stupid enough to get a virus in the first place. also, the virus wont be able to run its 'copy to device' code as it cant run on an OS other than Windows. so mehhhhhh

well read carefully, i didnt get the ps3 infected.  i recieved an infected usb drive containing music i liked from my neighbor.  Also, i dont visit or download form random websites.  i use my pc for forums, education purposes, editing videos, youtube, and instant messenging.

just plugging something into your ps3 wont cause the virus to transfer over it will only transfer over from a ps3 if you were to copy the infected file or folder.

okay let me get things straight.  so the virus cannot transfer to the ps3 by it self unless it is in an infected file (for instance a music file).  but wat about a mac.  how can it be a carrier of a virus--does the virus have to be in an infected file too?

LOL so many questions.  just wanna understan more about malware before doing anything.

btw, if your one of those ppl who are just gonna calling me an idiot and arguing without support for a solution (*Cough ProperBritish cough*), dont bother to reply; malware is a very serious condition.  i dont want my stuff to be infected.  i dont mind having to be a carrier as long as ALL my stuff is safe from each other.  (this is a different story as the ps3 MAY infect my PCs.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:59:20 PM by lilcrzytimmy »

Offline ProperBritish

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 04:18:24 PM »
the reason im not giving a solution is cos there is none. because nothing is wrong with your PS3. just give your friend an earful for giving you infected files.

Offline lilcrzytimmy

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Owner of A Red Hottie
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »
the reason im not giving a solution is cos there is none. because nothing is wrong with your PS3. just give your friend an earful for giving you infected files.

I noe nothin is wrong with my ps3. are you blind or wat. i nvr said anything was wrong. i nvr said i infected my ps3.   NOW, LISTEN CAREFULLY (read this like one million times or till you finally get a CLEAR, not blurry, but CLEAR message) there is a SOLUTION to this PROBLEM.  the problem is how can i remove the virus yet retrieve my saved files safely.  i dont wanna plug any flash based device into the PS3.  WHY?  i am afriad of having the flash based Drive infected.  if the flash based drive is infected with watever that infected my neighbors drive and i plug that into my laptop, it too will get infected.  i dont use any sort of antivirus program  (i believe they dont protect the pc as much.  i used multiple ones, update them yet still gets infected.) 

i almost have the solution as i am expanding my knowledge of malware and how they work (YES, i noe the virus will not disrupt my ps3, but it may disrupt my PCs through flash drives.  if you please, just don't participate into this topic as you're causing an argument between you and me. if your not solving the problem, dont BE the problem. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:17:23 PM by lilcrzytimmy »

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 04:48:31 AM »
Look.

Delete the music off your PS3. Problem solved.

The Virus will just sit in the music file, until you copy it to something running windows, then it will activate and spread.

Also. Calm the :censored: down, your pissing me off.

Dude, you ARE the problem, just delete the :censored:ing files and be done with it, your blowing it out of proportion! JESUS :censored:ING CHRIST.

Offline ProperBritish

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 07:32:02 AM »
Thank You Matt. Bloody hell.

Offline MattZani

• Around the block