Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 3013 times)

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
Need some help
« on: September 13, 2008, 03:34:21 PM »
I got my PSP last night so I figured I would start modding it today. Just starting off with some of the simple stuff. I did the USB charge mod (soldered wire from usb input to the power input). Also changed out the LED's power, charge wifi and MS. Lastly I was going to add a rear speaker so I took out the UMD drive.

Well I plugged it into my usb and Nothing no charge light no power nadda. So I tested the voltage going into the system and I have 5 volts. I have been tinkering with it for a couple of hours and I think im just missing something. The all of the boards are plugged in except the UMD b/c it was removed. Is there a ground that I am missing? Do both cages have to be in? I'm going nuts

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »
Is there anyway that it is shorting?

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 03:38:34 PM »
Not that I can see, I did not really do any solder work other than the leds. Even if they were shorting wouldn't they just not work?

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 03:40:46 PM »
I ment the wire fir usb charge. Is it only tooking that one prong and only that. Is it only touching the Power Input.

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 03:46:51 PM »
Yup only touching the one prong on both ends, Could it be the led's are in backwards? I would not think that would make a diffrence other than the led not working
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 03:50:27 PM by KrInEn »

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »
Fixed it :) only thing is that my system will not power up from USB without a battery in it? The power led comes on for about 2 seconds then it turns off. Any ideas?

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 04:17:12 PM »
usb from a pc or other usb slot doesn't provide enuf current to boot it up alone, You can do this mod to provide you with the ability to charge at full speed, and boot up your psp soley on usb. TUT: https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=17193.0
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 05:25:53 PM »
Thanks alot got it up and running again :) only thing I cant figure out is the orientation of the LEDs for the wifi and MS, Cant seem to find a tut anywhere

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 06:45:13 PM »
ok I'll be able to help you with the USB thing and the LEDs, first thing is: power the psp up with the battery in and then push the brightness button. As you know when the psp is charging, there is a fourth position. You dont want to be in that position. You want to put it on a low medium or high brightness setting but not the xtra high one that happens when you plug it in. Then you should be able to power it on with the battery removed.

As for the LEDs, if you look at the bottom, there should be a small arrow like shape. It usually points to the negative pole of the led. There is also a tut for the power led swap in the tutorial section. Also I think there is somthing about the lights in the unfinished section.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »
Powerboard Led Swap Tut by sexy Neubit- (LOL)

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=5623.0

Mobo INFO by 4dP-

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=19470.0

How to find the - and + of a SMD Led (If you dont know)

Jumbo

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 10:11:03 PM »

Mobo INFO by 4dP-

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=19470.0

Jumbo

That was exactly what I was looking for, Thanks a ton.

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 07:19:25 AM »
No problem.
Oh and be careful while doing the swaps to stay away from the little resistors.

They can come off pretty easy if you don't have a fine tip iron.

If you need anymore help just ask :)

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 09:29:50 AM »
Yeah I noticed :P but b.c of the colors that I am using the forward voltage is about 3.4volts so I just ended up bridging the resistors for the leds anyhow

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 09:33:30 AM »
So you did it??

Nice :)

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 11:03:03 AM »
Yup up and running, 3 new speakers where the UMD drive used to be :) 2 tweeters and 1 "woofer" if you will :) all the LED's are changed. Going to tackle the LM386 this week also the sound reactive leds to the hold button and hrmm whatever else I can think of :P

This thing will not be whole for a little while :P gotta wait for my 4 gig card anyhow :P

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • (Modder for hire) Live in your world, Mod in ours.
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 11:09:15 AM »
usb from a pc or other usb slot doesn't provide enuf current to boot it up alone, You can do this mod to provide you with the ability to charge at full speed, and boot up your psp soley on usb. TUT: https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=17193.0

mine works straight from the usb with no battery, on full screen brightness with cpu on 333 / 166 blada blada blada etc.

i dont think it makes a difference but try using a high speed usb data cable, one of the ones wit the big round thing near the end. but mine works with a normal datacable with the settings i just provided.

only other thing i can think of is that my psp loves me XD.
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 05:28:57 PM »
Actually I just removed the USB charger mod, reason being that it would randomly shut off, and or only power on for about 3 seconds then shut off. Took out the mod and everything is fine now

Sorry to keep posting in the same thread, I figured that it would be better than starting 20 threads and making all sorts of clutter  :fear:

One last thing though and my psp should be going back together, I am putting in a LM386 to power a "woofer" that I have in the UMD door. Now where is everyone getting the 191k and 30k resistors? Somewhere like Mouser.com or Digikey.com? I went to Radioshack and they don't have those values :( and im to impatient to wait for the shipping  :faint: I already have like 10 things for the psp from ebay coming that I wait for the mailman for lol j/k

Also one more thing. I think it is one of the members on here but they have some sort of wheel/nub over the [] O X ^ buttons and it is amazing I just cant remember who has it or where to find something like that. It kinda reminds me of the volume knobs on some of the pioneer car CD players :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:24:23 AM by KrInEn »

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 05:13:55 PM »
Once again I think I goofed something up, When I am listening to music it I turn on my leds, wired to hold button the music menu jumps back and forth between views? Did I not cut the trace all the way? I went pretty deep. Or did I mess up another trace somewhere?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal