Author Topic: Building new gaming computer!!! Need help!!!  (Read 7708 times)

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
Building new gaming computer!!! Need help!!!
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:57:33 PM »
I decided im going to go ahead and build myself a new gaming pc.I definately dont want to spend more than 1000$. Really if we can keep it around 600-800$ would be best. I already have a monitor so That isn't included in the price plus I already have a copy of windows vista unused so dont include that either. I'm not really sure I haven't researched many parts yet, but was wondering if I should get water cooling because mI have never had it but I have relized it seems like everyone on this forum has it so it must be pretty useful. Plus if I get it should I get a case with it built in already or shoudl I just find a different case and but the parts and put it in myself. Also what are cathodes? Any recomendations for parts would be really helpful. I will also update this post with any ideas for parts that i get

_edit1_
Also I like that lian li 300 series case that one of our fellow acidmodders is using to make gaming computer. I dont mean to copy him but it is pretty badass ,but is it too small for a good at home gaming computer because I know he was just useing it as a lan party case. I have never even bee nto a lan party  :cry2:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:18:39 PM by StealthedHunter »

Offline tapdisbong

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Building new gaming computer!!! Need help!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 09:39:23 PM »
if your going to make a gaming computer and over clock it, water cooling is recommended. also check newegg.com good parts cheap prices.

Offline H-Sauce

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Music Producer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:33:29 PM »
i spent £800 on mine including accessories, you can overclock pretty well on a decent air cooler like mine. in pcs normally when they mention cathodes they mean flourescent lights. go for a q6600, that is a great overclocker, reaper got it to 3.9 ghz on air cooling (a stock speed q6600 has 2.4 ghz). i have a guide sitting at home showing you how to overclock, i would be more than happy to show you how.

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 12:54:09 PM »
is £800  the same as 800$ USD? If so could you show me what parts you used and where u got em from so I can sort of guide myself for some parts

Offline H-Sauce

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Music Producer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 01:03:04 PM »
look at the topic half way down the page....

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 01:13:32 PM »
£800 is $1600 LOL.

$1000 will get you a fairly average rig, nothing special.

Also, a LAN Box is pretty much out and out performance, in the smallest loudest thing possible xD
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »
is £800  the same as 800$ USD?
I got a great laugh out of this.
If you want a good gaming rig, C2Q6600 OC'd and at least a 9800 and with 4gb of ram.

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:17:09 PM »
lol I was just asking because I said I didnt really want to spend more than 800$ then he said he built one for £800 wich made it sound like he was saying they were the same thing, but I guess I assumed wrong.

edit**

also I think I got a few idea for parts taking in some suggestions ive came up with...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017 - processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130328 - Video Card

Also I am trying to find a good motherboard that will work with these 2 parts and so far for undeer 150$ all I have really found that seemed to be pretty good was

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182161

Let me know if you think that one is a good idea or not? or gimme some links to some good ones
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 09:16:34 PM by StealthedHunter »

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 04:16:34 PM »
Don't get that motherboard. It sounds like some cheap brand. Get one of these P43/P45 mobos instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000200280%201070509908%20107172615&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 05:09:09 PM »
this one seems to be pretty good, and it has pretty good rewiews and will fit that proccessor I chose and the video card too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

Offline Winterz117

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »
i have question that some may find usefull...

im going to get an amd processor, and i was wondering if it is better to get an athlon x2 with about 3.2 ghz standard or to get the quad core phenom with about 2.4 ghz standard...this is assuming that i have liquid cooling and i will be overclocking about 1 ghz over, so is it faster with the better dual cores or the slightly slower quad cores?

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 06:21:59 PM »
hmm well im no expert but the quad core is technically slower i think but has does have 2x as many cores which possibly makes up for it. I also know the quad core is really good for overclocking and im not sure about the duel core or if there is any difference in how much you can overclock but i have heard of peopel overclocking that quad from 2.4 ghz to almost 4ghz of course lots and lots of cooling, but you if you have pretty good colling with water cooling you could probably easily get it to 3.5 ghz. Like I said im no expert so wait for others to reply or do some more googling research.

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 07:55:36 PM »
You should get intel. They are a lot better and overclock better. For a cheap good dual core get the E7200.

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 11:26:25 PM »
well what is better quad core or duel core???

Offline Winterz117

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 11:48:23 AM »
ok so intel overclocks better but amd still can overclock at least 1 ghz right? thats really all i need

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 11:47:05 AM »
why are intel better, and yea someone please explain the differences are between duel core and quad core are?

Offline H-Sauce

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Music Producer
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 11:53:54 AM »
dual core = 2 cores
quad core = 4 cores

at the moment, if your just going to be gaming go for dual core as you get better clock speeds and not many if any games use 4 cores, but video converting does, so a purely gaming machine should have dual core, but a future proof/media computer should be quad

this is from my understanding anyway...

Offline Winterz117

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 01:36:40 PM »
sounds good ill go dual

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 07:44:16 AM »
hmm but I have a duel core on this pc right now and my bro just got a quad core on his and his seems to be way faster than mine. The computer isn't just gaming it is for programming and game making too. I do watch movies on this one a little bit too, and will on the new one. Why does duel core clock better?

Offline loganbyers07

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 12:22:18 PM »
hmm but I have a duel core on this pc right now and my bro just got a quad core on his and his seems to be way faster than mine. The computer isn't just gaming it is for programming and game making too. I do watch movies on this one a little bit too, and will on the new one. Why does duel core clock better?

okay well dual core does not overclock any better than quad core. It is just that the dual core proceesors have a higher stock clock speed than quad core.

Thanks for the sig dhuvrock2000

The best way to get cool gaming stuff for free!

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 07:41:08 PM »
yea but just because they clock higher they have half as many cores so doesnt it still sort of make the quad core faster. What do the different cores do anyways is more cores better or not basically

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 08:12:58 PM »
i spent £800 on mine including accessories, you can overclock pretty well on a decent air cooler like mine. in pcs normally when they mention cathodes they mean flourescent lights. go for a q6600, that is a great overclocker, reaper got it to 3.9 ghz on air cooling (a stock speed q6600 has 2.4 ghz). i have a guide sitting at home showing you how to overclock, i would be more than happy to show you how.
That was without the side of the case on, and it could make you sweat if you sat next to it for too long.

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 02:19:36 PM »
^^ lol could it seriously make you sweat? :dribble: If I had a cpu that could make me sweat itd be sweeeeet well for the firt couple minutes then i would h8 it but i could make fun of my friends and tell em my computer is so beastly it can will make you sweat :rofl:
Ya I would probably just OC to like 3.4/3.5. Plus I am ganna maybe try to get water cooling which will helpz alot

Offline miceen0

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 11:42:22 AM »
yea but just because they clock higher they have half as many cores so doesnt it still sort of make the quad core faster. What do the different cores do anyways is more cores better or not basically

I recommend a dual core for gameing, because the current games and software really don't utilize multiple cores. If you go with a quad core is it more expensive and you wont get the same stock clock speeds as a dual core. If you weren't on a budget go with a latest and greatest quad core, but as I said before most games and software don't utilize multiple cores.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 06:39:20 PM »
Quad core > Dual core anyday.

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 08:06:38 PM »
ya but i have to be sort fo prepared for the future and im sure soon there will be games that utilize the cores.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal