Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 1171 times)

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
Quick question
« on: September 24, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »
I am instlling the sound reactive leds in yet another psp, This time I am no goofing around with the amp I am installing them direct to the speakers. I have them all hooked up and ready to go. I wired them to the hold button, Not sure if I did it correctly.

I wired the positive of each LED to the corresponding speaker. right to right etc.....then wired the ground from each to the hold button and cut the trace. Well when I turn them on it seems like they just stay lit and dont do anything. I am using red 0603's should I throw a resistor inline or should I wire the switch differently? Meaning do both contacts on the leds have to goto the speaker in order for it to work?

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:21:08 PM »
both wires will have to lead to the speakers. Both +and-. Also I'm not sure if the speakers will interfere if you hook both of the negatives together. I would only connect both LEDs to one speaker. I think if you lifted the top pin from the hold switch (the one that leads to the ground), then it can be used as a general purpose switch for the LEDs. This means that the LEDs will recieve no power from the switch. All you do is run the negative lead that goes to the LEDs to one side of the switch and the negative from the speaker to the other end. That way when the switch is pushed down, the LEDs will come on. Like I said I'm not entirely sure but I think it should work fine. I'll let someone else confirm if I'm correct.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:25:43 PM by rceckspurt13 »
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 01:01:43 PM »
You cant run to the powerboard. The only thing you can have in the circuit is a Resistor or a Switch of some kind (Added of coarse.)

You may want to throw in a Resistor Red Led's burn quick.

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 07:56:11 PM »
If I cant run to the hold switch where is a good place to run them to? I mean a good place to stick a switch?

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 09:50:44 PM »
alot of people put switches like at the top of the psp to the left of the little hole where the camera screws on the top. You just have to dremmel out a little spot for it out of the trim plastic and the black plastic below the trim. Also you will have to use a micro switch so it will fit. This means that the nub of the switch may not stick past the trim so you may need like a toothpick to switch it. There was a tut on how to do the internal chotto shot mod while keeping the umd drive and it showed the placement of a switch exactly where I said.

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 05:54:17 AM »
Well I think I have found what I want to do as far as a switch goes. I have just seen that someone used a dip style switch and installed it in the trim right above the power switch. Now my question is my local rat shack only has 8 position dip switches. Can I just hack on off with a dremel and call it a day? Or should I have something laying around my house with these switches that I can rip (gently remove) out :P

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 06:59:55 AM »
you can get them from small toys and small gadgets. You could probably find one in a camera.

Offline KrInEn

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 07:42:55 AM »
Ok I could not find any around my house so I broke down and bought the 8 position from radio shack. Can I just hack off one of the switches and be fine?

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »
You can dremel the switch apart. There is a very thin layer of plastic between each
switch. If you cut to far the switch will fall apart.

I have cut them down before. I then take the end cap from the other end
and cut it of with a razor and glue it back on the side I ground down to
when you place it in the trim it will be symmetrical.

Otherwise it will just look butchered when you put the switch in.

You can also just put in the entire 8 positions and use them for
future mods or you can wire the extra positions in a combination
that has to be set on/off correctly for your PSP to start up. Sort
of a combination lock of sorts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal