Author Topic: Laptop LCD for PS2  (Read 3298 times)

Offline kizashi777

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
Laptop LCD for PS2
« on: September 06, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »
Well, I have this old laptop around and I wanted to use it for my ps2.

I was wondering if it's been done. If not, how hard would it be to make a connection?

Offline Chase

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Art Team Leader - Globel Moderator
Re: Laptop LCD for PS2
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 10:09:30 AM »
Alien Alien Alien ... It has been done outside of Acidmods, So smart yet wasted on the resistance to open-Mindedness

I read an article somewhere a while ago about converting old laptop LCD's into VGA monitors you'd have to google around for it but It's there :)

Then Convert your composite output to VGA and boom Laptop Monitor.

As to the difficulty... idk, Never tried it, but the possibilities there so give ti a shot and tell us how you get on :)

- Chase

VoX

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 01:56:33 AM »
I think I was the one that showed Chase the article as I was doing a project that involved it a few months ago. Sadly, It didn't work with any of the LCD's I have and it can only output really low colours like 256 bit. It involved piggy backing of a VGA card that has a VESA connector on it. The whole thing was fairly useless as it worked with only really old Laptop LCD's  in the Late/Middle 90's. I've got the article here if you are interested still : http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2006/03/using_a_laptop_lcd_with_a_vga.html?CMP=OTC-0D6B48984890

Offline kizashi777

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 05:15:35 PM »
Well, I was looking around until I found this:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33222.asp

I saw on youtube of some guy playing ps2 games some kind of connection like this. I highly doubt it was an emulator though.

So I thought, instead of using just the LCD, why not just use the whole damn laptop?
I was thinking of getting one of those small netbooks like the eeepc or the Dell mini 9. Still, I wanted everyone's opinion:
-If I was able to tap into the laptop's battery, how long would you think the whole thing run without any external power? Let's assume it's any eeepc or the Dell mini 9.
-Would playing lag a bit since it's using a laptop?
-How good would the graphics be? (I know the Dell mini 9 uses Intel GMA 950, not sure about the eeepc's)
-If I was able to place the ps2 inside the laptop, how big would it be? When I mean big, I mean the height or depth. Would there be any parts that I can exclude from the ps2 slim when piecing everything together?

Yeah, a lot of questions =.='

But I want to know what everyone things about it.

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 07:20:06 PM »
you do realize that the eeepc has a 7" screen right? why not just get a screen made for the ps2? or even better a portable dvd player with aux in? it's much cheaper/easier and has the same size screen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal