Author Topic: Through-hole plating  (Read 3098 times)

Offline WatIis

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
Through-hole plating
« on: November 01, 2008, 08:57:49 AM »
Hey everybody. I needed to make some razors anyway, and i found a really good deal on copper clad board. I got 360 sq inches for about 10 bucks. I asked the guy for the thinest stuff he had, and i think that it is all the way down to 1/100 or .010 of an inch. Im guessing that the people at coolmods use a professional machine to do through-hole plating, but i was about buying this:

http://www.lpkfusa.com/Store/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=147

Then i looked at the price tag, and changed my mind. I was wondering if anyone here knows of a good way to do
manual through-hole plating for cheap?

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
Re: Through-hole plating
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 01:29:48 PM »
you can make it double sided but dremmeling through the fibreglass untill you just reach the copper then solder to that.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 03:13:39 PM »
Thru-hole pads on both sides, solder wire to both sides and clip.

Offline Alien_X

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 03:00:51 AM »
Thru-hole pads on both sides, solder wire to both sides and clip.

Yeah, that is a good method, or you can get some pins which you knock through, and solder to both sides.

But why?
You need to tin the pads for the spring to make contact with the button signals, so why not just solder wires onto the top layer?

Sigs by Alien_X
www.ax-elec.com

Offline WatIis

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 04:57:28 PM »
Ok, thanks for the Idea chives. I googled thru-hole pads and ebayed them, but couldnt find any.....

Oh, and Alien-X, I am trying to do this, becuase the spring contact method never works for me, whenever i finaly get the spring centered, and put the pcb on, even though i have hot-glued the PCB on, the spring always pushes a little hole where it will uncenter itself.... Do you know how to fix this? Anyway, im switching over to the washer method, I mean, yeah, it feels scratchy, but it contacts good without tinning. Or, i even tried aluminum foil, it is alot stronger than i thought it would be, and contacts very well... I never understood why they switched wires from aluminum to copper, was it for cost?

Anyway, Alien, what do you do to get the spring to stay centered after the PCB is on?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal