Author Topic: A problem with charging  (Read 2078 times)

Offline smith45

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
A problem with charging
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:43:56 PM »
I have a phat and a slim psp, some time ago i tried charging them with a 12v car charger, it didnt work (no orange light) and from that point on i couldnt charge through my DC IN on either psps although I can charge through the USB fine with the slim. Does anyone know what is wrong with the psps? Do i need to replace certain parts? which parts?
Thanks.

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
Re: A problem with charging
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:42:04 AM »
well from the sound of it, by running 12volts through a device that's only supposed to handle 5volts, you have fried your charging circuit on them. Are you sure that that is what caused your problem? But yeah I'd say you blew somthing out.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline ProperBritish

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Raining Blood! From A Lacerated Sky!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 07:57:19 AM »
why would you do that?? it's 5V for a reason, because that's what the caps and resistors are set up for. Plus, the ampages on car batteries are huge... hence PSP death.

*facepalm*

Quote from: ≤Ʀαωгу≥
you know who i would bone? daffy duck

Offline smith45

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 05:34:15 PM »
So which part of the psp is responsible for charging? I really prefer replacing certain parts instead of buying a whole new one and I have no warranty on the psps so sending it to sony is out of the question.

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:50:23 PM »
well on both the motherboard handles charging. I'd say you need to replace the motherboard on both.

Offline smith45

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 02:24:10 AM »
Ah ha.. thanks. Last question, my phat psp uses a TA-081 motherboard and I cant seem to find any, however I've found lots of TA-086/TA-082 motherboards. Is it alright to replace my psp's motherboard with newer motherboards?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:29:51 AM by smith45 »

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 05:52:16 AM »
You can replace the motherboard with a newer one, but you have to replace the wifi board with a newer one too. The wifi/memstick board(daughterboard) has to match numbers with the motherboard for it to work correctly. The powerboard you have should be fine.

Also you could use an external battery charger also. You know the kind that you take the battery out of the psp and clip it onto the charger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal