Author Topic: Need help deciding on a case!  (Read 3231 times)

Offline TheBlackShadowX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Need help deciding on a case!
« on: December 21, 2008, 12:40:25 AM »
Hi, this is my first post here even though I've been lurking around for about a year and a half. So to cut to the chase my umd door broke. I won't go into details, because I feel like an idiot for breaking it. Anyways I figured since I need a new door anyway why not just do a case swap. I had my eye on the clear one. It's not really an original choice but it's the classic look.

So I went to order the clear case on coolmods, but instead of ordering it for myself I ordered my brother as a gift and I won't have the money to order another one until after christmas. I was looking at the one on dealextreme which I can afford now, and yes I know this question comes up alot, but which should I order?

My only concern is having to modify the case just to fit properly. I do not own a dremel or plan on purchasing one right now so I'll be taking a chance with my trusty x-acto knife and sandpaper if it comes down to that. Which I don't want to end up doing! If anyone has ordered the case from dealextreme and can share their experience that would be helpful, because from the dx reviews it seems split between the people who got lucky with a perfectly fitting case and those that had to modify it.

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Need help deciding on a case!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 01:00:51 AM »
I would buy the one from dealextreme. Both cases need to be modified to fit perfectly. You can use sandpaper to sand down the plastic.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »
I ordered one from dealextreme, and It was a white one. The paint was EXTREMELY cheap and chipped with my fingernail. I ended up junking the entire thing, because the power switch on the trim didn't fit onto the internal one correctly. I ended up buying an Asterix brilliant white faceplate, and custom painting the backplate, which might I add worked perfectly. I don't know about the clear case but the white case was a serious mistake. I think If you don't have a dremel, It might be smart to get one soon, It makes everything cutting related easier.

Thanks to HiddenVenom for the sig!

Offline TheBlackShadowX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 09:59:02 AM »
Awww...no es bueno. That's just what I feared. Thank you for the response. I'm gonna buy my case from dealextreme then if they both need modifying.

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:11:59 AM »
DX Cases are almost the same as CM. They both need some modifying, usually in the same spots, all aftermarket trim is :censored:, and i would say just get the DX Case. Ive never gotten a bad case from DX and i've ordered many from there, I think every one they have for phat i've gotten at least once.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 10:13:55 AM »
Agreed on the trim. Make sure you save your own.If you don't have a dremel, ask a friend or your dad if they have one, it'll help alot.  :hifive:

Offline TheBlackShadowX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 11:37:17 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I ordered the dx case for me and it should be coming in a few days, but with dealextreme it's always a surprise...who knows maybe next year lol.

The coolmods case came though so I'm getting prepared to install it for my bro's psp. I was thinking about using the trim because my brothers is crummy looking but I'm not now. Thanks for the heads up alentris. I'm not going to use the buttons either for that matter, because they look pretty crap quality and I don't trust them.

...I seem to keep straying away from my point... :wacko:  Anyways since it's a clear case does anyone have tips on keeping it clean throughout the installation. Since it's my first case swap I imagine there will be a fubar or two along the way so I expect it to be in pieces at least an hour or so, and if I've learned anything from taking anything apart in my entire life it's that dust is my mortal enemy...

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »
Just a heads up, my first case mod took 2 hours  :wacko: Leave buffer ti:me. And as far as keeping clean, here's what you'll need:

1: Microfiber cloth for wiping down the case and the LCD screen.
2: Anti-static dust cloth for the LCD screen/ miscellaneous dusty areas
3: (Optional) Compressed air spray bottle for spraying down the LCD
4: Lots of ziploc bags just in case you need to continue another time.
5: Windex and Q-tips for polishAn ing the case.
6: An open area and a good tutorial so that you don't :censored: up the mod
7: Stay in the least dusty area of your house
8: Hire a secretary to take all calls and forward them (lol, jk... but don't get too distracted.)
9: I just got the  most genius sort-of-on-topic idea: Modding a sibling's psp for a present  :dribble: Genius!

Offline TheBlackShadowX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 09:15:39 PM »
It was a christmas gift...lol

Well I just finished and I have to say that was quite a disaster.

Alot of problems like the old trim simply would not fit. I had to cut the right side of the case just to fit the power switch...it still needs to be shaved down some but ill do that 2mrrw. On the good news side of things everything works except the umd drive. The umd door wasn't shaped right so the umd couldn't fit in it with the door closed so I tore it out. I guess I'll just back up all his games for him.

I'm really glad these 5 hrs of my life are over. Hopefully the next one won't be so bad. I'm thinking his psp model was the reason for all the problems with the case not fitting right. I don't remember off the top of my head but I read about one particular model that has all sorts of problems when it's case swapped.

Anyways thanks for the help everybody I really appreciate it. :victory:

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 10:20:47 PM »
Yeah it seems that it's a gamble when doing case swaps. Good luck with your next one... What do you mean the umd doesn't fit with the umd door closed? Does it close noramlly without a umd?

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I love My Lacoste shirts
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 09:47:43 AM »
The trim probleme was because some trims are not the same as the one that comes with the clear case etc... The umd probaly you didn't fit it right since all the psp's have the same size. Just try again

try droping it again
my retared friend fixed by droping it
 1Sniper- not to be an :censored: but, its special friend

Offline TheBlackShadowX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 08:43:07 PM »
Well I got everything working. I'll fiddle with the umd tray later, because I'm pretty sure it wasn't seated properly. That shouldn't be hard since I left out the problem screws that break the door when you try to pry it off.

It sucks that the trim may or may not fit, but whatever I guess i expected it'd be easier. At least I got some experience in so it'll be easier next time. I'll prolly pick up an extra faceplate and some screen protectors since I didn't realize how easily the faceplate scratches.  Heres hoping my next mods go better. Thanks again for the help everybody. :tup:

Offline MAG-123

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 04:59:59 PM »
I would get the case from dealextreme.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.