Author Topic: Gateway Networking?  (Read 4196 times)

Offline MissOsmosis

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Kristi920
    • Xbox LIVE Gamer Profile
Gateway Networking?
« on: December 23, 2008, 08:39:17 PM »
Instead of blowing 80 bucks on the wireless network adapter, I've connected my 360 in a rather ghetto fashion:

Crossover Ethernet cable to my laptop

It works... for the most part. I can sign into LIVE, check my messages, chat, and play online, but I can't connect to the Marketplace. This means I can't download new game content, demos, updates, and all of the other goodies.

I get a message telling me that "some content" (which is the Marketplace) is unavailable. My router is in another room and I'm not one to drill holes through out the house to run an Ethernet cable. It's a long status Code that I don't feel like repeating...

How are the rest of you connected, and do you have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
Re: Gateway Networking?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 09:49:01 PM »
i have wireless at the minute but we just got the lower part of the house redone so i laid cabling under the floor.

alternativly you could go for one of these

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1230097624/ref=sr_nr_i_0?ie=UTF8&rs=&keywords=homeplug&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahomeplug%2Ci%3Aelectronics

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline FreeK

• a-LeeK
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Team CYBER for life
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 06:04:13 PM »
right now im running ethenet to my xbox from a wireless router but before i got it i used to just run the xbox straight to my cable modem with the ethernet wire that was like 40 ft long
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 06:05:55 PM by 1Sniper »

Offline MissOsmosis

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Kristi920
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 01:48:37 PM »
I hate having wires running across the room though  :sadno:

Otherwise I'd just get a longer Ethernet cord. The adapters are too expensive.

I'd really rather just fix whatever the problem is with my current setup. Vista users connected the same way as me don't seem to have a problem getting to the marketplace - which makes me angry!

Offline FreeK

• a-LeeK
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Team CYBER for life
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 04:06:04 PM »
it could also be because your only a silver membership. maybe if you upgrade to gold you might fix your problem

unless you've already tried that once?

Offline MissOsmosis

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Kristi920
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 07:58:39 PM »
Hmm, that shouldn't be an issue. As a Silver member I was still able to access the Marketplace - only restrictions were to online play and Party Chat. Maybe it's a stipulation of the 'New Xbox Experience'?

I guess I'll see if it makes a difference when I get around to picking up a new card.

Offline majorahole

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:47:57 AM »
im using a re-flashed linksys router as a wireless adapter for my 360. i got it for like $35 i think, and when i get a ps3, and htpc ive been wanting i can connect those too

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:02:56 AM »
you could add another router to your network to act as a gateway, this will free up the lap top, the new router will conect to the old one wirelessly and the xbox will plug in. I personally would sugest running a wire up through the atic or whatever you have to do it is much better that way.

Linksys makes what they call a wireless gaming adapter. its like 60bucks. works fine, but not as good as a LAN line

Offline FreeK

• a-LeeK
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Team CYBER for life
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:33:11 AM »
Linksys makes what they call a wireless gaming adapter. its like 60bucks. works fine, but not as good as a LAN line

yes. and no wireless connection is nearly as good as a wired one.

and i think its a bit more then 60$ but heres the router hes talking about:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124084

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 09:59:13 AM »
WOW freek that thing is smokin hot!! you are talking top of the line that is a router with a gigibite switch....YES this is a must have for any gammer. but I was refuring to something else. its like a print server almost, though a print server could work for the xbox!! 50-60 dollar range. what I have is a small box that wirelessly connects to my router and has one ethernet plug and one usb, you could use either. on the box it reads "liksys wireless gamming adapter" it was like 55.99 or so. it works fine, not nearly as fast as the router you linked to though. I dont use it any more, becouse it wont support wpa2 incription, which I run now on all my network equipment since my credit card info was ripped off (long story) I may have to upgrade the whole system now after looking over that router. LOL the wife will love that!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal