Author Topic: Ms my first RLOD  (Read 1621 times)

Offline tonycjr23

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Ms my first RLOD
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:41:50 PM »
well im a newbie to the 360 scene and I recently decided to take on the task of trying to fix a rrod i bought off ebay so far it was just a console with nothing else, however the listing said the xclamp mod has ben performed which through my research using THE SEARCH key i has this sneaking suspicion that the seller didnt perform the xclamp mod with the right screws and just plain didnt do it the right way i have pictures

With those screws in the board the board doesnt sit flat in the casing and causes this effect if you look close enough the sockets arent lining up with the holes theyre intended for, also if i put all the case screws back in it would bend the board out of shape, but my question is, when i get the flat head countersunk screws and drill out the holes and put it all back together the right way what can i put between the board and the case to keep the board from touching the case, Or if i put it back together the right way will the board not touch the case? sorry for the lengthy post but what order also should the nylon and metal washers be in. THANKS GUYS and thanks acid mods for giving me the resources i need to move on from modding a psp to a 360

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Ms my first RLOD
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:04:44 PM »
I also bought a 360 off ebay with rrod. They used the same screws but no metal washer under the mobo. It sits flush in the metal case. I tried to fix it but it won't work. I might try heating gunning it and if it doesn't work, I'm going to sell it back on ebay.

Offline Nemesis

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:09:56 AM »
I think, as far as from what i can see from the pictures that by the head of the screw, he put a metal/spring and nylon washer, there are various ways of doing the xclamp fix with different washers but most consist of only having one nylon washer on the side where the head of the screw is. This could be why the board won't fit into place because the screws have an extra washer on them which makes it higher than when it had the xclamps on it, therefore not allowing the board to fit into place because the screw are too high up if that makes sense.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 06:40:47 AM »
I would take the bolt into a nut and bolt store, check the phone book, (not home depot, you can try but not much luck there) what you have is a pan head, you want a bugel head or even a countersunk head. this will lower the profiel and alow it to sit down flush.

the other problem here is this has already been done, and ther is no telling how much stress has been applied to the mobo, you yourself stated that if you put the case screws back in place it bends the board out of shape. that is what causes the rrod under normal conditions, so if you or the last owner bent the board, even slightly, its over, try and get your money back, resale it.

Offline tonycjr23

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 01:35:40 PM »
well if i sit it on the table flat out of the case without the screws it doesnt wobble and by eye it doesnt look bent from any angle now i just need a power supply to test it

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »
   Another idea that has always worked for all of my x-clamp fixes is, redrilling the factory torx screw holes underneath the metal case with a 11/32 size drill bit. This will allow the newly installed screws to go thru the metal case, allowing the mobo to sit nicely flat on the case. Don't worry the screws will not go beyond the metal case. Check out the diagram below.                                                           

Offline tonycjr23

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 08:22:39 PM »
My real question is how vital is it to fabricate something to replace the xclamps with something that has a bigger surface area of pressure under the cpu and gpu, ive seen one fix from team xbox that has made the most sense to address the flexing issues which involves a stack of a series of washers to bring the board up to rest flat on the outer lip of the case yet still be supported by what they call a uniclamp its hard to explain but the website im referring to is
http://xbox-experts.com/e/tutorial.php?n=hybrid tell me if any of that makes any sense :help:

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 04:49:23 AM »
realisticly, there has been no official way to do this, all xclmp fixes have the same goal, more presaure on the chips, and more rigidy for the mobo. the link you posted looks great.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal