Author Topic: DVD drive relocation, questions...  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
DVD drive relocation, questions...
« on: February 25, 2009, 05:47:41 AM »
Hey guys,

Haven't been on lately (school...) sorry about that. Anyway I want to move the DVD drive out of the case (its still sitting in its metal box). So what I plan to do is extend its cable and get the DVD drive to sit out front instead of inside the case. The problem is the cables are too short. Does anyone know what cables they are and where I can get them from ? I think ones SATA, right ? so that makes the other one power...but what are their ACTUAL names. I don't want to walk into an electronics store with my xbox saying:

" I need this one *points* and this one *points*, PLEASE "

Thanks
Max

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
Re: DVD drive relocation, questions...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:40:06 AM »
yup one is a standard SATA cable, and the other is the power cable. Just buy a longer SATA cable and splice the other one with longer wires. the other cable is just a custom made cable using a molex connector.  Could probably find you a part#s for the connectors, but since it is just power, you can splice it and be fine.

Trust me when I tell you making molex cables sux. you really need to have a crimping tool and when you order you got to order the shells and pins and once you crimp the pins you have to insert them in the shell. Ends up being 4 part#s for the cable most of the time.

just cut, strip, solder and use heat shrink or electrical tape to protect ur splice.

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 01:09:49 AM »
Sweet, good thinking...I can't believe I didn't think of that....I'm such a dumb ass lol. How much are SATA cables ?

Thanks again
Max

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 06:56:34 AM »
saw some for $3 shipped free on ebay. definately no need to spend more then $10 for the sata cable

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 07:11:11 AM »
Sweet, good thinking...I can't believe I didn't think of that....I'm such a dumb ass lol. How much are SATA cables ?

Thanks again
Max

Max, you may not think of everything, and you may not always realize how easy something’s may be, but I don’t think anyone here thinks you are a dumb ass, and you should not put yourself down in that way, it is not mentally healthy. The experts say, contrary to popular belief, you should always talk to yourself and work yourself through troubling issues out loud and in a positive way, this will promote positive thinking, heighten your self esteem, and speaking out loud will mentally prepare you for public speaking. Small wise cracks and jokes that may just seem funny at the time could have sub conscience adverse affects on you mentally.

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:37:50 AM »

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal