Author Topic: My first modding, Please help! Where do I start?  (Read 4805 times)

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Trusted Seller! Slim Modder! Graphics Artist!
My first modding, Please help! Where do I start?
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:58:48 PM »
Ok, I need some answers/advice from professional modders, this is my first time doing anything like this except for putting a custom faceplate on my PSP slim so I know how to take it apart lol and I need some help to make my plans for this new project work! Ok first things first here are my plans

Back:

Front:

Ok here is what I need to do, get sound LEDs in the triggers, get 2 LEDs inside the UMD door on ether side lighting up the custom jewel, custom orange LEDs for power, wifi, memory card accessing, etc. and dual analog sticks. I also want to be able to turn the LEDs on and off using a switch, wifi or build one in. Now I intend to buy a used PSP to try this so I don't screw up my own lol. PLEASE give me step by step instructions on how to do everything.

The supply's I assume I need:
PSP
flat green spray paint
chrome copper spray paint
yellow/orange LEDs
wire
sodering iron
razor board
analog part
Custom transfer sticker for artwork
custom UMD jewel
custom bullet hole stickers (no gloss)
black spray paint and use newspaper to smudge it and make it look grunge
and probably a extra battery cover incase I screw up on the artwork.

Ok once the cosmetic work is done where do I start? I have a nice workshop with a drill, drill press, precision screw driver set, 100+ sized drill bits, router with pen looking attachment for more precision work, file, solder iron, but I need to practice. But just go ahead and tell me what i need to do, I can bookmark this for later. I've googled but only found crappy tutorials, I need clear info since this is my first modding, but I learn fast and am good at figuring things out. 

and also one more question, is there some way I can mod a battery cover so I use a slim battery and cover? cause the artwork would look bad on the fat's battery cover. And what kind LEDs do I need? (links PLEASE) and what kind of wire?

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:25:42 PM by EliteGamer83 »

Offline TheZap

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Music Is My Soul
Re: My first modding, Custom HALO 3 PSP! please help! where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:58:04 PM »
well, im no pro, but for the grunge thing ur going to need some advanced stencels or somethin like that, ill try to think out a way,
 If your going to paint the buttons urself, i suggest opening them up by cutting it open, paint the black parts, just like dont cut in half, just like where the bottum is, then carefully glue it or something.. so you can have LEDs... cuz if you paint over it, there will be point of LEDs...
 since im no pro might as well wait, i am runnin out of typing space..
-all psp typed

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:23:15 AM »
What do you mean? I'm not going to put LEDs in the buttons, but the ring of light, triggers, and replace the "busy" icons on the front. (power, hold, wifi, etc.)

Offline TheZap

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Music Is My Soul
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 07:20:32 AM »
What do you mean? I'm not going to put LEDs in the buttons, but the ring of light, triggers, and replace the "busy" icons on the front. (power, hold, wifi, etc.)
Just saying if you do, I personaly think it would be better to have inside then outside :P but, you do what you want :P,
Now for the whole grunge thing, I think you can use customized tattoos, you already have something grunge worked out, cuz I can make it if you want,
Ur going to have to spray paint it a lighter green shade then the tat though, not to bright of coarse,  its easier then getting a grunge stencil, if they have them.. but ya, you have a choice on stencil or  or tatoo for the halo logos,
As for the bullets, if your going to order tat for that, make one tattoo sheat with many bullet holes so you dont have to pay for many tats, then just cut them out so you can spread them out and away from eachother :P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:23:47 AM by TheZap »

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »
Just saying if you do, I personaly think it would be better to have inside then outside :P but, you do what you want :P,
Now for the whole grunge thing, I think you can use customized tattoos, you already have something grunge worked out, cuz I can make it if you want,
Ur going to have to spray paint it a lighter green shade then the tat though, not to bright of coarse,  its easier then getting a grunge stencil, if they have them.. but ya, you have a choice on stencil or  or tatoo for the halo logos,
As for the bullets, if your going to order tat for that, make one tattoo sheat with many bullet holes so you dont have to pay for many tats, then just cut them out so you can spread them out and away from eachother :P

Ok thanks, I was planning to get custom tats for all the decals, and just get grunge tats and smudge them around to look random and battle scared,
but I still don't know what you mean, I was planning to have 2 leds in my ring of light, 2 leds in the triggers (sound leds AND be able to turn them on and off with the wifi switch) and replace the busy leds on the font. Also do you know of any way to get a rough feeling on the PSP? like make it feel battle scared but still comfortable.   

Offline TheZap

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Music Is My Soul
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 05:27:40 PM »
Ok thanks, I was planning to get custom tats for all the decals, and just get grunge tats and smudge them around to look random and battle scared,
but I still don't know what you mean, I was planning to have 2 leds in my ring of light, 2 leds in the triggers (sound leds AND be able to turn them on and off with the wifi switch) and replace the busy leds on the font. Also do you know of any way to get a rough feeling on the PSP? like make it feel battle scared but still comfortable.
Just dont bother with what I said b4, and I have some grunge brushes already made so ya, its not really that hard, but if you already have it done then I wont be bothering, just ask what you need and Ill see what I can do :P
and im not sure how to make it rough, idk, I do have some ideas, but ya, I wouldnt suggest it XP
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:30:18 PM by TheZap »

Offline PhenomenalDesigns

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: My first modding, Please help! Where do I start?
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:17:25 AM »
Check if a skin maker will do custom designs, then make a net for that design, voila

But if this is your first mod, its really ambitious isnt it? My first mod was a faceplate change

Hoi! Pinoy ako!

Offline treemty

• l,,l METAL l,,l
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Will mod for food
    • the1337group.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:18:10 AM »
decalgirl does custom ones

Offline TheZap

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Music Is My Soul
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 11:39:02 AM »
decalgirl does custom ones
How much?  :greedy:

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 11:56:55 AM »
GUYS. I need help with the electrical, I have all the cosmetic mods covered. I excel at that part. But it's the electronics I need help with.

Also, this isn't really my first mod. I already have a faceplate change under my belt!  :tup:

Offline starfox444

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 11:57:41 PM »
I'd have to say that it's best to learn some basic electronics/wiring and figure it out yourself, but what I know for sure is that the LEDs are going to have to go along the motherboard. Conceptually, I think what you would have to do is add some extra wiring to make a circuit connecting the battery then add LEDs with resistors to match the current the LEDs need.

Believe me, something like this is not something you could get a simple answer for (put part X on wire Y). Maybe you could check out the videos on youtube of people with modded PSPs and ask them.

EDIT: Maybe browse these forums a bit more too, maybe this link will help: https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=10815.0
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:00:11 AM by starfox444 »

Offline TheZap

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Music Is My Soul
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 10:51:35 AM »
GUYS. I need help with the electrical, I have all the cosmetic mods covered. I excel at that part. But it's the electronics I need help with.
Look up some tuts here, stuff with LEDs arent that hard

Also, this isn't really my first mod. I already have a faceplate change under my belt!  :tup:
I dont want to know what that means o.O

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal