Author Topic: Adapter: Composite Video(Yellow) ---to--- VGA  (Read 5508 times)

Offline RuskiSnajper

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Adapter: Composite Video(Yellow) ---to--- VGA
« on: March 06, 2009, 01:26:24 PM »
I need a bit of HOMEMADE help with this issue , first of all they don't have these kinds of things at my shops here , and not even at the importer they just can't find or my countrie's importers are dumb.

I also can't order it cause it doesn't ship here , and i don't even have global credit card (no such need here anyway)

But I know some local store with lots of wires and adapters , it's private of course(all those commercial really sux) but i need some help to get to that point so if it would actually work...

So far , so good , thanks to a thread in this forum i found , about VGA to Component for PS2 , but i only need one composite yellow female cable for video that connects to a VGA MALE connector

The main purpose is to connect a wii to a PC LCD(syncmaster940BF , if PS2 can be with those , i am sure wii can be also.

I have don a lot of seaching and stuff (well otherwise i wouldn't be here) , the obsolete previous solution was a through a graphics cars , a radeon HD4870 in this case , it has AVIVO , so i thought that is a "universal out and input" but it was just something else , the VIVO is the thing that is on the radeon all in wonder cards that has VIDEO IN. But unfortunately and obviously those cards project crap quality and have lots of lag. All other alternatives are not in cause of obvious reasons (such as VGA boxes and expensive stuff)

That other store that couldn't found VGA-TO-COMPONENT also said they don't know a lot about these but they suggested that the connection should go directly from a console with an adapter to the LCD analog port indeed the VGA.

Thing is , i don't have nintendo wii RGB Component video yet , and I don't know when i can get it , those fakes are really cheap but they are pending... some say , there is not much of a big quality difference in the end...

Anyways it's easier to do just one cable like i am pointing to the Composite yellow video connector.

I found this cable on the sites and others to but I have no any means to be able to purchase it.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040113&p_id=2509&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Note: I do not need the S-VIDEO cable that sticks out of that VGA, ...

The biggest question is, how are the wires connected inside, what goes where, and if that Svideo cable uses same pins or it has other ones (that would leave unused pins in my VGA connector....?)
Is there maybe a chart or something?

I am going to make this as it looks if the component HDTV cables work , this should? also , I am SICK of fat radiating TVs that make my eyes go crap and for that i really not play wii that while i would like to.

Another problem emerges cause in 2011 it will be a trans to digital TV and that will make today's TV purchasing useless.(well not but they are expensive)

And remember I will make this no matter what(angry, hehe) The best way to do I , as i am really this kind of person , Bangla style , i don't need any soldering( i don't think if i still had one but i saw a soldering tool ages ago) and any other stuff to buy and to have , as you might not know, tools and stuff is really open here you don't need any orderings of 50+ you just buy tools like food, and I pretty much think there is way enough tools down in father's garage,... i got a tool box even in my room to do most of the stuff i deal with.

If it really needs soldering I'll get the tool , if it really can't be done bangla style, then i'll head to Chip store that guy with 20y exp can probably HANDLE it.

So ... what do you think guys?

OH , forgot the resources i happen to have:
-old gamecube SCART and AV cable
-Composite video to S-video adapter (from GPU case)
-Composite video to RGB Component adapter (from GPU case)
-DVI to VGA adapter , two i think
-old GPU and it's case is also somewhere which also holds additional adapters

And a similar thread > http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=60&threadID=257698&messageID=2547601
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:01:54 PM by RuskiSnajper »

Offline RuskiSnajper

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Adapter: Composite Video(Yellow) ---to--- VGA
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 04:54:20 PM »
so i took apart some old monitor vga cable (male connector) ,  took about 1 and half hour omg

well , just so i saw what's there , but after all i still couldn't get to the inside pins , some hard plastic stuff again , the cable snapped halfway cause of the work and i damaged the connector it self so ... but , huh i was able well, after it i just didn't saw the need to dig into the connector ... so , to get to the basic spectrum of what wires are inside , i saw some examples on the web but i think it's not the same (the colors at least)

so there are
red
blue
green
grey ; all covered in extra protection metal tape and a wire along inside , and the grey one is thiner

the other ones are just without extra (yes after all HUGE external protection) and are thiner ,
so,
a yellow
a white
a black
a orange/brown?
a purple

So  a total of 9.

a composite video has one yellow (well i think you know but i explain the situation here)

Offline Blizzrad

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:43:53 PM »
I admire your determination, but unfortunately what you are attempting is not possible. The full explanation as to why is a bit lengthy, but VGA and composite video have different timing and transmit color information in totally different ways. A composite video signal can not be converted to a VGA video signal by swapping simple connections on the plugs. Doing this requires some sophisticated circuitry that is out of the scope of what most hobbyists would want to build themselves.

The device you linked to and the other adapters you mention are designed to work only with specific computer graphics cards. Graphics card manufacturers often enable multiple video formats to be output through one plug to save space on the card, and pass-through adapters like these are made to provide connections for the various video standards.

I am not very up to date on the Wii or it's supported video modes, but last I remember hearing the closest it gets to VGA is 480p component video (with the proper cable). Your best bet for VGA would be to get a component to VGA transcoder and make or buy a set of component cables for your Wii.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:09:47 AM by Blizzrad »

Offline RuskiSnajper

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 08:18:41 AM »
Okay, ...  so the component to vga will work then...

I'll go to the cable store after i got my wii rgb cable ...

As shown on the PS2 vga cable thread .... so it would work with wii too i hope

One more thing...  what would happen if i just connect the wires to some wire , like trial and error to see if it would work (just asking i know it won't)  , i hope it's like other mini cables like in motherboard pins for fans and other stuff ,  if you plug it wrong it won't burn it just wouldn't work and will not cause short.

So does this apply to this cables , it's safe to just try out connecting each of nine cables with a

Offline Blizzrad

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 10:00:10 AM »
As shown on the PS2 vga cable thread .... so it would work with wii too i hope

If you link the Ps2 VGA thread you are referring to then I could tell you for sure, but if this is the same thread I am thinking of then no, it will not work the same for the Wii. Again this is similar to the graphics card scenario where the Ps2 outputs component and RGB video through the same pins on the AV connector. A direct VGA cable can be made for Ps2s because it is able to output progressive scan RGB whereas the Wii will only allow output of progressive scan component video. You will need an actual transcoder box like this to convert the component video into an RGB signal that can display on a VGA monitor.

One more thing...  what would happen if i just connect the wires to some wire , like trial and error to see if it would work (just asking i know it won't)  , i hope it's like other mini cables like in motherboard pins for fans and other stuff ,  if you plug it wrong it won't burn it just wouldn't work and will not cause short.

So does this apply to this cables , it's safe to just try out connecting each of nine cables with a

The most you could ever hope to see from this would be an error message on the monitor stating that the frequency is out of range, more likely though the screen will just not turn on at all. It is possible to damage certain equipment by carelessly crossing wires, so I don't recommend you try it. Here are the pinouts for a VGA connector if you want a better look at what you are working with.

Offline RuskiSnajper

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 09:06:30 AM »
Many thanks man , i got this sorted out once and for all and that device is quite cheap from other solutions

I have been searching for solutions well over 2 months ,,, thanks

I am sure for it would be here in my shops.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal