Author Topic: Weird question.  (Read 1535 times)

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Weird question.
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:05:59 AM »
If you were to, say, have an iPod connected to a USB port on the 360 internally, and you modded a usb cable to connect to that USB port form your computer to sync the iPod, would it damage the 360 usb port?

So basically, iPod is connected to the post internally so the 360 can read it. You make a cable to sync it through the same usb port.

All of the syncing would, of course, be done with the 360 off. In theory, is this possible without damaging the 360 usb port?

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
Re: Weird question.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 06:04:57 AM »
no love on this one eh kicks? I dont have an answer but here are my thoughts on the topic:

I think probably it wouldnt damage anything as USB is really quite protected, as it needs to be with all things that use it. I am unsure of how protected it is when the device is powered down, but I would guess it is, as it would be easy enough to plug something live into and powered down usb plug therefore there is probably protection for that in the usb protocol.

The powered down 360 may have an effect on the data that is sent as you will essentially have the ipod and a powered down 360 in parrallel on the usb bus so it may not work.

Try digging around in the USB 2.0 protocol and see how powered down devices handle the usb port.  If it states that the lines go into a high impedence state that is a good thing and shouldnt effect the data transfer.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:51:10 AM »
kicks, for what its worth, the usb port in front of the xbox remains active even when it is turned off. my wireless headset pulls power from the xbox when the xbox is powered down.

hope that helps.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:48:18 AM »
Thanks Chives. I'm working on it today but I'm too lazy to bother searching XD

Modded matt, does that mean that if, on or off, if I tried syncing the iPod through the USB port, it would be okay? I think that's what I got from that.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:40:43 PM »
I am not sure, but on or off there is 5v coming from the usb.

power comes from the usb of the xbox, and if you conect it to a laptop, power is coming from the laptop. so if you got them conected, they would short each other out???

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 02:05:53 PM »
I would only have it as the data lines it sync it, then. Would it still work?

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 07:50:47 AM »
I think that if you only have the data wires connected to the 360's USB port, you wont burn anything. If you had all 4 wires, somthing is gonna blow up.

I agree, if you isolate the data lines you should be fine, but I dont know if the xbox will read it or not. it should treat it like a usbstick, but thats flash memory not, a mini hard disk, I dont know if the xbox will read it or not due to the coding of the ipod. it sounds feasable, I think I would try to make a temporary cable to see if you can get this xbox to read the ipod, before you got internal.

I am not sure kicks, I dont use ipod myself,  but the coding on the  kicker here. you may need to go to some thing that is not as restricted, like the a cheap-o MP3 player, that uses mp3 files, I think ipod converts the mp3 to an ipod file.

**edit, i checked with a coworker that allways uses his ipod, and he is telling me, when the music come from you library to the ipod, it changes format, and is nolonger an actual mp3 file. he was not exactly sure what type of file that is though, need to look into google, find the file type and than check the xbox compatability.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 07:54:05 AM by modded matt »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 07:42:18 PM »
I've played music off my iPod using my 360 in the past.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 04:13:34 AM »
I've played music off my iPod using my 360 in the past.
cool, that solves that, if you isolate the power leeds you should be fine.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 02:25:30 PM »
I've decided not to. I've been working on this 360, and gotten 2 RRoDs but fixed 'em. Minor problems. I'm finishing it up today, I don't want to risk anything else. I freaked out when the first RRoD came >_>

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal