Author Topic: X-clamp to fix E74?  (Read 823 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
X-clamp to fix E74?
« on: March 09, 2009, 12:33:42 PM »
I have a friend who gets E74 error quite often, so i'm sorry if this has been asked before but can i do a standard x-clamp fix like i would with the 3 red light, with the bolts and washers, let it overheat for a minute or so and then put back together just like i would with 3 red light? Googled and Youtubed it and other random methods of removing the heatsinks came up.

Thanks.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: X-clamp to fix E74?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 12:51:55 PM »
the error codes are pined to the main page here
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=21654.0

it is not likely it will fix your problem, but it said you can try and do the xclamp.

E74 is a scaler chip issue, not covered under warranty.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:25:18 AM »
Ya, think I had this over a year ago on my first 360 :cry2:. If I remember correctly along with Modded Matts insight, for E74s the best method to fix it is to reflow the scalar chip. It is also refered to as Hana/Ana chip and on the older version it was a TSSOP chip with leads that are easily reflowed.  Unfortanately the newer versions I think went to BGA (ball grid array) but can still be reflowed with a heat gun (> 400F).  The chip is in that airflow path leading from the GPU to the exhaust fans.

If you are opening the box I would suggest doing the X-clamp(remember thermal paste) as well as reflowing that chip, as E74 often times will lead to a RROD as sometimes it is a failure of the solder joints on the GPU and not the Hana chip. 

Offline Nemesis

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:43:03 AM »
OK well i have my friends xbox here and he has told me that he hasn't received the E74 in a few days that much. Here says sometimes it comes, but most of the time is fine. When i do put in the bolts and washers and get to the stage where i have to let it overheat, normally when you turn it on you receive the red light, but if i turn it on and it is working fine, would the two red lights still appear indicating that it is overheating even though it is on and working fine?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal