Author Topic: Ideas for my next Phat mod...  (Read 1293 times)

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Designing Innovative Mods
    • SteelROMs
Ideas for my next Phat mod...
« on: March 19, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »
Ok guys, I am going to be working on my next mod as soon as I get my LEDs offline.  I have the clear (semi-clear actually) button replacement set on the way already.

First, I want to do something I dont believe anyone has done yet (but please, correct me if I am wrong).  I am going to make ALL the buttons light up.  Thats right, your D-pad, circle, square, triangle, cross, L & R triggers, AND THE WHOLE HOME ROW!  I have actually come up with a way to fit the LEDs into the home row area, and the connections between them will NOT be using wire, it will involve the use of flat ribbon cable, similar to the type of cable that the screen uses.

I know there are some posts SOMEWHERE, that talk about speaker installs.  I am looking to figure out how to install ONE speaker (used as the bass speaker, so it needs to have the higher frequencies filtered out.  I dont need it to be loud, just quality bass) in the UMD area.  Must be a thin speaker, and must NOT stick out past the door, and will use vent holes to allow sound to emitt.

Anyone with help or suggestions, please, let me know.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:35:22 PM by thearkman2009 »

Offline killdog

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Techn3t
Re: Ideas for my next Phat mod...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 04:25:28 PM »
if u find a decent speaker can u tell me aswell lol i cant find a thin one

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:35:45 PM »
I've also thought of ways to make the home bar buttons light up. If you accomplish it, you may indeed be the first. Good luck.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline i7vSa7vi7y

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +4/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 10:38:06 AM »
damn i was thinkin of that but that would be pretty hard but not too hard. probably a pain to make everything fit

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 10:55:03 AM »
I have a way to do it, but I need to wait for my next batch of LEDs to arrive, and my clear button set to get here before I can get going on this mod.

Just ordered 100 blue 0603 SMD LEDs from eBay for $15 total, (free shipping).  Is there a place I can find a better deal, or was that pretty good?  If there is a better place and deal, then point me there, please.

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 03:46:01 PM »
yes, I have in fact found a way to do it.  I wont reveal it just yet though.  I want to get a fully working POC down, and then I will take video of it in action.  I DO want to know, and YES, I have been through the forums using the search button, but I cant seem to find out how I would wire up 17 LEDs in parallel.  Should I use a 5.5 volt source or a 3.6 volt source?  What would be the correct resistor value to use.  And on the Phat, is the 2n2222 NPN method better than the LM386 method?

I did some math and the resistor value I come up with using a 5.5 volt source, blue 0603 SMDs, in parallel, 20 mAh each LED, and a forward voltage drop of 3.2 volts, is a 6.8 ohm resistor.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 04:04:19 PM »
okay, for the leds, 17 leds in parallel, if they are all over the place, you could combine all + and - wires from a group of leds, and do that to all groups of leds until you have a + and - wire from each group, then just solder those together, add a piece of wire to each lead, and then solder to 5v and ground. for resistance, u could calculate it at ledcalc.com and for the phat nobody has tried the 2n2222 method but the lm386 method supposedly looks good. 5.5 or 3.6 shouldnt matter as long as its enough to power your leds.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
This is what I come up with when I use the ledcalc site.  The same values as what I came up with on my own (well, pretty close actually).  So all of them would be collected into ONE + and ONE - lead?  (at least for the LEDs).

So the LM386 would be my best bet (with the phat)?  I am sure the transistor method would work, but would need a different value of transistor.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 05:24:47 PM »
yea you connect them all to get 1 + lead and 1 - lead. Yea lm386 seems best for the phat, and the 2n2222 is just a general use transistor i think so it should work on a phat too.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal