Author Topic: One Handed Controller Mod Idea/Request  (Read 3691 times)

Offline skyhopper88

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
One Handed Controller Mod Idea/Request
« on: August 27, 2010, 02:19:50 PM »
I noticed a topic by MactasticMendez on AbleGamers about doing controller mods for the disabled.

http://www.ablegamers.com/7-gaming-with-a-physical-disability/2938-console-controllers.html

Since the post was three months ago and those boards aren't exactly hopping I figured I'd post here. The meat (Wii specific stuff starts at #4). Consider the rest background.

1 - what games do you play on what devices?
FPS, RTS, 3rd person games, you name it I play it. 360, PS3, PC, Wii (some).

2 - what would you change in a stock Xbox 360 controller to make gaming easier for you?
I play games one handed (I have cerebral palsy on my left side. What I do is grasp the left handle with my left, and let my unaffiliated right hand do the rest. Lay your right hand across the controller fingers pointed to the left.

Pointer: Dpad/Left stick/Select
Middle Finger: Left bumper/triggers
Thumb: Face buttons/Right Stick/Start
Pinky: Right bumper/Triggers

My biggest problem is with triggers, since they are not meant to be handled at that angle. Not too much of a problem though.

3 - what would you change in a stock PS3 controller to make gaming easier for you?
Same problem here, but worse. But easily remedied with the Real Trigger snap ons
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74516

4 - what would you change in a stock Wii controller to make gaming easier for you?
Just about everything. I cannot use the buttons and analog stick on the nunchuk since my good hand is on the remote. But I can move it with my left hand, it's therapeutic too. This severely limits the games I can play on it.

I briefly contacted Ben Heck and a member of his forum that was an engineering student and we had devised of a controller mod that I think would work. It never got off the ground for lack of funds though. The premise was this:

Gut the buttons and analog stick from the nunchuck. The buttons and analogue stick could be moved into the remote itself. The stick could be put on top of the A button (have it be like an L3 or R3 on other controllers). Ideally the stick needs to be small so it doesn't interfere with games played with the remote on its side with the Dpad. Maybe like the PSP nub or something. Could always use a non modded one for that though. Anyway, C and Z mounted on the left side of the remote near 1 and 2 for use with right fingers.The battery might pose a problem though.  I haven't played the Wii much at all, but maybe I'll see about this and get started some time. Think something like this is feasible? I'm not a modder myself.

5 - what are your main difficulties when when gaming?
Using unconnected/separate controller peripherals that require two hands (Wii/PC).

6 - Whats your disability?
Cerebral palsy, left side. Not used when gaming except to grasp or "shake".

Basically I want to bounce this idea around to you guys and see what your opinions\ideas are. There are plenty of Wii games that are inaccessible to me that I'd love to get a chance to play with your help.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:25:36 PM by skyhopper88 »

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
Re: One Handed Controller Mod Idea/Request
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 04:06:50 PM »
hey - i will point this out to a few of our expert modders. could you maybe list some of the games you have difficulty with and some of the games that are easier to use as we could then maybe compare control layouts for those specific games as we would hate to come up with a solution that fixed some games but broke others you like playing.

p.s. welcome to the site and hopefully you will enjoy your stay - feel free to take a look around and chat to some of our other members. if you need any help with understanding anything ask any of the staff and they should point you in the right direction

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »
This all sounds feasable, I am out of town and am in the mid of a large 360 project for a C4. I wouldn't be able to touch it for a month. Anyone else want to take point here? If not and you can wait, I would be glad to help out

Offline skyhopper88

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 06:36:36 PM »
hey - i will point this out to a few of our expert modders. could you maybe list some of the games you have difficulty with and some of the games that are easier to use as we could then maybe compare control layouts for those specific games as we would hate to come up with a solution that fixed some games but broke others you like playing.

p.s. welcome to the site and hopefully you will enjoy your stay - feel free to take a look around and chat to some of our other members. if you need any help with understanding anything ask any of the staff and they should point you in the right direction

Alright. Thanks for the welcome. I don't think breaking games I play now will be a problem since I've pretty much only touched games with GC\Classic\Wiimote only support. But design will be important obviously since I haven't been able to play the other games at all really, this is all in theory.

Wiimote only games
Wii Sorts\Resort\Play (not a priority obviously but it's simple and I can manage most of those)
Metroid Other M - haven't played it yet but I know it's accessible. wiimote is used on it's side like a nes for 2D or pointed for FPS shooting
Klonoa (also supports CC/GC controller)
Sam and Max Season 1
Zach and Wiki
World of Goo
Puzzle Quest

Classic/GC controller games
any Virtual console games are doable
No More Heroes 2
New Super Mari Bros Wii
Muramasa
Super Paper Mario
Manhunt 2
Mari Kart
Metal Slug Anthology
Monster Hunter Tri
A Boy and His Blob
Sin & Punishment Star Successor
Phantom Brave
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Resident Evil 4 (though I have the GC version I miss out on not being able to use the new controls)
Okami  (though I have the PS2 version I miss out on not being able to use the new controls)

Non Playable Games (requires nunchuck)
Madworld
De Blob
Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Overlord: Dark Legend
Red Steel
Red Steel 2
The Conduit
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil 1 (though I have the GC version I miss out on not being able to use the new controls)
Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil 0 (though I have the GC version I miss out on not being able to use the new controls)
Zelda Twilight Princess (though I have the GC version I miss out on not being able to use the new controls)
Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy  (though I have the GC version I miss out on not being able to use the new controls)
New Play Control! Pikmin (though I have the GC version I miss out on not being able to use the new controls)
New Play Control! Pikmin 2 (though I have the GC version I miss out on not being able to use the new controls)
Zelda Skyward Sword (not out yet but presumably the same as TP Wii)

This all sounds feasable, I am out of town and am in the mid of a large 360 project for a C4. I wouldn't be able to touch it for a month. Anyone else want to take point here? If not and you can wait, I would be glad to help out

I've been sitting on this awhile so I'm in no rush.

I thought of a small change for C and Z. Z should be on the left side of the wiimote just in line with the top of the speaker for use with the middle finger . And C in line with the 1 button for use with the ring finger. I had trouble picturing it earlier (might need mock ups). I'd like to use the same buttons to keep the same feel (Z's trigger feel for example)

That seems straight forward, but the analog stick is worrysome since there are a few ways to do it. I want it on A if possible (pointer finger is on the B trigger and the other option is using my thumb). But reusing the stock stick might be an issue (but I'm not positive) because the A button is pressed a lot more than L\R3 buttons are (imagine how annoying having L3 being jump would be in a platformer. So that's why I mentioned a PSP like nub, or maybe a trackball? Not sure what that would entail modding wise.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:46:28 PM »
use paint make some pictures

Offline skyhopper88

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 01:27:10 PM »
Here are some thumbnails to give you all a better idea

Picture of me holding the wiimote and where my fingers lay.

Mockup of where things would be placed. I'd like the buttons angled to the contour of my fingers so they "fit" the direction my fingers are placed. 

I realized another potential hurdle. games like Zelda use the analog for movement and the Dpad (for item selection) With a raised analog on A it may be a bit annoying to reach up and over to the Dpad. Could arch my wrist temporarily though.

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 03:03:50 PM »
Grr i would love to do this, but i have no monies and the heating element on mah solder, so :(. but im sure many people would be willing to help, tbh this is just a bump 'cuz i wanna see this done

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal