Poll

What do You think of the Canon 450D aka Rebel XSi?

great
4 (66.7%)
ok
2 (33.3%)
bad
0 (0%)
dont touch it with a barge pole
0 (0%)
some other option than the rest
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Buying DSLR and recent purchases  (Read 2336 times)

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
Buying DSLR and recent purchases
« on: March 18, 2009, 02:10:56 PM »
ok well what do you guys think of the 450d camera any of you help it, used it or seen it. or have you got any other ideas cant really cost any more as im in the dog house.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=2516

the reason im in the dog house and cant spend any more is on monday i came home with $300 of Tshirts on monday thats after spending $200 at the start of february on tshirts. then on tuesday i came home with a £500 yamaha YSP-40D (YSP-4000 in america) and it wouldnt fit on the tv stand and now im about to buy a camera for £490 and i also want to get a new tv stand for £80 so my parents arnt pleased with me and i got a massive 2 hour + lecture last night about how i dont know the value of money and what goes into earning it etc etc

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
Re: Buying DSLR and recent purchases
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »
The camera is wicked powerful for the money. The camera offers a lot of improvements over its predecessor. The camera should be more than enough to handle what you throw at it. There are pros and cons to everything, but when it comes down to it the biggest problem with anything like this comes down to the person using it. If you know what your doing I'd grab this camera, if your a novice I'd go with something a bit cheaper. The camera is smashing though Im sure it wont give you any problems.

-TwisT

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »
well its my first dslr and it will be used in my uni course next year (digital media) so i looked at the cheep budget ones but then thought i would be better with a mid-range one and grow into its feature set instead of upgrading in 12-18months time

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 08:28:36 AM »
BUMP

Any one got any other suggestions, tips etc

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 09:13:36 AM »
10MP anything will do from either Cannon or Nikon.  There really isnt much need for more.

The most important piece of an SLR and also the most expensive is the lense.  Any $400-$500 dslr camera will operate with similar results, it is the $1500 lense the makes for beautiful photos.  Most of the features that you will use can be found on a dslr that is 3 years old, so think long and hard if those extra features on the newer models are really worth it.  Most of the time those features are things that not even the most advanced amature photographer will ever use.

I suggest going cheaper on the camera body and spend your money on proper lenses (image stabilized) because lenses will work for any body (excluding Nikon cuz they have proprietary mount).

I can have my girlfriend talk to you about as she knows more than i do about this stuff as she recently took a course in it.  Remind me and I will have her get a hold of you on MSN.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:15:57 AM by 802Chives »

Offline ~:Dhruv:~

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • [quote author=Reaper link=topic=30647.msg227184#ms
    • Infectech
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 09:50:31 AM »
chives summed up all i had to say !
 Its a really good camera, but think hard before buying it coz you might not need all that now .
  you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline DarkShot

• I approve your mom
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • ÜBERRAPESKILLETS
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 09:55:29 AM »
Not only what chives said, but depending on what you really want to do in terms of photography, you will more than likely want different lenses for different reasons, occasions, and shots (obviously).

Offline pranav41

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GaRAGE ReFix <>(>)
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 12:12:35 PM »
why not nikon , though nikon d80 , is wicked a cousin bought it ....and is loving it ...ur better off askin some local journalists who write and shoot for local papers , the;ll really will be able to help u out ....a reporter from the daily mail .helped me do  my economics coursework , and i just emailed him a few points i needed facts on
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:14:57 PM by pranav41 »

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 12:14:35 PM »
because nikon uses a proprietrary lens mount and he won't be able to use the same lens on any other cam he might get in the future
  you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 12:39:04 PM »
ok i didnt see these posts show up for me until now and i bought it thismorning. but i am over the moon with it. before i bought it i whent and spoke to my uncle who is a really keen photographer and actually has some pictures that would sell as art etc but hes a doctor and isnt interested in the money. he goes by the name of jet black productions when he does get photos done. he lent me his old 20d to play with and i really enjoyed it apart from it was a little bulkyier. after playing with that for a few days i decided i would definatly go canon and i then thought i could go for a cheeper older model but i thought that if i spent a little extra to get the 450d then i wouldnt be wanting to replace it as quickly also it came with a 18-55mm lens wich had auto focus and image stabalization, and i managed to talk the camera place to throw in a 2gb sd card and a lens filter and discount it £10 so i decided to go with it as i thought that the camera can last me at least the 4 years of university and hopefully longer. i hope i can get some kickass photos out of it now and im already saving up for a long lense and a macro lense hopefully (unless my mums lenses work and are ok - my grandad has alread given me his old 18-70mm lens

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »
thats great. Congrats on the purchase. Put up some shots 
  you look like a carrot.

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 07:04:49 AM »
ok i have taken lots of pictures but here is a random one i took - still trying to get used to it as its my first dslr

this is at 25% resolution

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal