Author Topic: 3RLOD question  (Read 1643 times)

Offline pinoyboi24

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
3RLOD question
« on: April 27, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
I was about to finish my X clamp fix and all is left to do is put some thermal compound. But it seems kind of expensive and I found this "silicone base heat sink compound." Could I just use that instead of arctic silver 5 ceramique thermal compound, or do I HAVE to use that for it to be fixed?

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: 3RLOD question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:57:51 PM »
     My advised and recommendation is to stay with artic silver 5 thermal compound. Yes, there are numerous types of thermal compound for different type of heat sink usage but in the case of the xbox 360, the artic silver 5 would be the best to use. Artic Silver 5 has metallic dust particles mix with the compound rapidly transfering the heat away from the chip to the heat sink giving good cooling results. I believe that this is the type of thermal compound that Microsoft uses from factory.

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:54:25 AM »
dnt use that kind go with the thermal compound its better then that stuff and its not that expensive its like 10 bucks but it works great.

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:07:05 AM »
silicone base heat paste will work in a pinch, it doesnt have as good of heat transfer charateristics as AS5, but there is nothing saying that you shouldnt use it other than you will want the best performance possible to prolong the life of you console as long as possible.

AS5 has 88% metal oxides and silver in it which is what does the heat transfer.  The silicone based stuff is more of a general purpose heat transfer paste, and wasnt nessecarily designed to do this type of heat sinking.  It worked just fine in the old days where processors werent producing as much heat.(the white paste you see on older electronix)

You dont have to use AS5 either, there are newer types heatsink paste available that are just as good if not better:
tunic tx2
Silver Compound from Antec
Dynex at best buy
Arctic Cooling MX-2 (supposedly the best)

I did read that AS5 is available at most Radio Shacks so convienence isnt a factor in the US.  Any way you go it will probably cost you $5-10 for the better performance.

Personally I would recommend staying away from the silicone stuff and getting something that was intended for your application.  However on the other hand silicone thermal paste is like a million times better than nothing or the old stuff.

stay away from using toothpaste, i hear that stuff has a nasty tendency to catch fire :laughing:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:09:19 AM by 802Chives »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:25:18 AM »
stay way from using toothpaste, i hear that stuff has a nasty tendency to catch fire :laughing:

I was wondering if you were going to throw that in there LOL the internet can be a useful tool as long as common since is also used. silicon when heated has a tendancy to become more liquidy than the paste form when it is cool. due to the location of the chips, it is not a good idea to use such products in this application

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:37:20 PM »
stay away from using toothpaste, i hear that stuff has a nasty tendency to catch fire :laughing:
wow lol i never seen anyone attempted to use that but i im sure someone would be curious enough to try it.

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal