Author Topic: The PSP Bible (aka The PSP Schematic)  (Read 19760 times)

Offline Senti

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Circuit Explorer
The PSP Bible (aka The PSP Schematic)
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:42:54 AM »
This is a project called "The PSP Bible" with the goal of building a PSP circuit guide. It seems that by consolidating the information that is already known, tracing out some of the basic circuits and then comparing them to the schematics for the PS1/2, it should be possible to figure out most of the PSP circuitry. (If you have some circuitry already traced out, please consider adding your info to the project.)
~Senti

---

Project file (MS Word 97 format): 5/31/09, ver 1.2.0 http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dztm4nmizmu

(If you don't have MS Office, download OpenOffice at http://www.openoffice.org to read the file.)

Schematic file (Express PCB format, file S-PSP.sch): 5/31/09 http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wjytoux4iwi

(Express PCB can be download free from here: http://www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCBHtm/Download.htm )

This is a work in progress, expect mistakes and corrections.
---

Update : 5/31/09
 I've updated both the PSP Bible file and the schematic file. Granted, the schematic is fairly basic and incomplete, but it still shows a fair amount of information about the power/SYSCON circuits and a good start on the POMMEL circuits.

Unfortunately, due to the apparent lack of interest in this project, I've decided to shelve it for a while. It's too big a project for just myself and those nearly microscopic circuits are really hard on the eyes (which don't see as good as they used to), even with a magnifying glass to help.

- - - - -
Update : 5/25/09
I've posted the raw schematic file I've been working on to give everyone a better idea of what I'm doing. I haven't update the PSP Bible file itself, since I'm still trying figure out how to put the schematics in the document in a way that is easily readable. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten any feedback on what I've done so far, so I don't know if I'm heading in the right direction or not.
  :dntknw:

Update : 5/20/09
Posted ver 1.1.2
I've finally posted an update that includes a schematic, although it is just the first part of the power circuit leading to the SN105257 chip (which I've determined is probably a DC/DC controller, maybe a bit like the Texas Instruments TPS51120). This schematic is more of a test to see how to best present the information more than anything else (so feedback is wanted and appreciated). I'm also starting to trace out the SYSCON and display circuits. It's slow going since the circuits need a magnifying glass to see them. Still looking for some volunteers to help with this project.

Update : 5/14/09
Stripped all the components off one side of a board the other day and started studying the layout. After a few hours I gave up on my plan to start with the syscon and decided to start with the 3-pin battery connector instead. I also d/l and installed ExpressPCB, which is the program I'll be using to create the schematics.

BTW, Does anyone know what the SN105257 chip is? It's made by Texas Instruments but I haven't been able to find any data on it so it's probably made to order.

Updated : 5/9/09
Posted ver 1.0.5
This was just a minor update. Found a few new part numbers and corrected one incorrect entry. The next update will start to include actual circuit info, now that I have motherboards to study.

Update : 4/26/09
I've begun compiling the information I've collected into a sigle document, which I've named 'The PSP Bible'. It'll continue to grow as I get new information. It's in MS Word 97 format; just download OpenOffice or MS Word Reader for free if you don't have MS Word.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:46:44 PM by Senti »

Offline Senti

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Circuit Explorer
Re: The PSP schematic
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 01:19:03 AM »
(multipost - removed)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 11:30:54 PM by Senti »

Offline Senti

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Circuit Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »
Ok, I need a bit of help...
Does anyone know what the Freescale SC901583EP chips or the Sony A2707GK chips are used for?  (I *think* the A2707GK is used by the UMD, but I can't tell for sure.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 07:53:30 PM by Senti »

Offline Slim Hacker

• Mr PS3
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 05:20:29 PM »
Please dont tripple post just edit your first post.

also your doing some good work here keep it up.

Quote from: Jumbo
I herd you like stealing quotes ey?

Offline dionsiq

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 11:58:23 PM »
i have a dead phat motherboard im workin  with i can get you some good pictures

Offline Alien_X

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:30:54 AM »
It will be alot harder to trace this out than you think.. At one point I had 7 faulty motherboards - 3 of them had every single component desoldered (hot air reworked) off. The motherboard is multi layer and consists entirely of blind vias..

Good luck and lets hope your multimeter works!

Sigs by Alien_X
www.ax-elec.com

Offline Senti

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Circuit Explorer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:59:34 PM »
Using a hot air gun is exactly how I plan to remove most of the surface mounted components.

Blind vias are a real pain if you try to visually trace out a circuit path, but I have an idea that should help. I'll use my voltmeter (has an audio beep) set to continuity test and wire one of the leads to a small fine-wire brass bristle brush. (Brass is fairly soft and shouldn't tear up the circuit board as badly as a steel bristle brush might.) Then I'll put the other lead on a starting point, like on a chip pin, and move the brush across both sides of the board until I get a beep. That way I'll know within a very tiny area where to probe for my circuit!

Offline seraph524

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 07:22:05 AM »
Can you make sure that you find the sound fuses? I blew my right speaker fuse and have yet to fix it, due to lack of diagrams with it labled.

Offline Senti

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Circuit Explorer
Re: The PSP Bible (was The PSP Schematic)
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 11:52:22 PM »
(Keep in mind that my work is focused around the TA-079 motherboard, I can't speak for other models, although they should be more or less the same) - I don't think there IS a fuse for speakers. I've identified 4 fuses on the TA-079 and since fuses are usually specially marked, I think it's unlikely that there are any more to be found.

On the other hand, I have a fair amount of info on the audio chip (Wolfson Microelectronics WM8973G on the TA-079) and I think either this chip or a burned out basic component (like a resitor or transistor) in the speaker circuit is a far more likely to be the cause of your problem. I believe the WM8973G  chip to be similar to the WM8973L, which has data sheets available online (and some of the info on it is in 'The PSP Bible' guide I'm writing, which has a download link in the first post of this thread). Since we know the pin out for this chip and the rest of the audio circuit is fairly simple, it shouldn't be too hard to find the failure in your PSP. Do your headphones work ok or did you lose sound on the right side of them too?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:03:52 PM by Senti »

Offline ~:Dhruv:~

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • [quote author=Reaper link=topic=30647.msg227184#ms
    • Infectech
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 12:04:53 AM »
The files is missing......
  you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline Senti

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Circuit Explorer
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »
Ok, got the link fixed - should be fine now. (I just started using the hosting service and didn't realize the files would be hidden, but it's fixed now.) Sorry 'bout that. Feel free to make suggestions once you look it over. I'll start adding circuit info soon.

~Senti
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:20:00 AM by Senti »

Offline Senti

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Circuit Explorer
Re: The PSP schematic - speakers!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 10:11:34 PM »
Can you make sure that you find the sound fuses? I blew my right speaker fuse and have yet to fix it, due to lack of diagrams with it labled.

Ok, I think I have your answer, finally!
 As I suspected, the PSP doesn't have fuses for the speakers, but they do have audio amplifiers (the very small, 1.5mm square, black chips near each speaker connector) that might be the source of your problem.

On the TA-079 motherboard (the focus of my project) the chips are labled "AKO" and they are 9 pin BGA's. I believe the chips are the Texas Instruments TPA2010D1. I only have a TA-082 motherboard to compare with, but it's the same chip on that one too, so maybe it's being used on all of them (you'll have to double check yours to see):
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa2010d1.pdf

Hope this helps and good luck!
~Senti
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:52:13 AM by Senti »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal